5.0 out of 5 stars dear Tony a book with surprises, 18 Feb 2014
This review is from: Dear Tony (Anthony Newley) (Hardcover)
i have known the author for many years and I know how pastionate she is about things, I think this shows well in the book. it is written in such away you can almost feel her heart beating when she put pen to paper,this is well worth a read ,after all the years I have known her she can still surprise me, well done my friend

5.0 out of 5 stars A different kind of showbiz book, 16 Dec 2013
This review is from: Dear Tony (Anthony Newley) (Hardcover)
I have just finished Susan's book 'Dear Tony'. What sets this book apart from most showbiz memoirs is just how personal it is. Not in a salacious warts-and-all, tell it like how you wanna hear it kind of a way. This is a deeply personal recollection of a young woman's love for her family and for a giant of the business. If you didn't know her you might be forgiven for thinking that it was the stuff of fantasy but for anyone that does know her will embrace this book as a love letter from a fan turned confidant to the object of her girlhood obsession. So little has been written about Newley and he is criminally overlooked by todays generation. Susan writes about their time together at a time when Tony was already being written off by many as yesterdays news. Whilst she was so in awe of him she is also objective enough to acknowledge that this was a man who was also troubled. Its a first hand perspective on a colossus of a man. Thank you Sue for opening your heart and letting us in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dream Come True, 26 May 2014
This review is from: Dear Tony (Anthony Newley) (Hardcover)
I was also a fan of Tony Newley's at a tender age and thought the man was a dream! This book is a delight to read. Sue shares some wonderful memories, allowing us to know him as the charming person he was. He was so talented and versatile and down to earth. I still feel the same about him now as I always did and this book will be a treasure to enjoy again and again, along with the great legacy in music and film he left behind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Reading.., 13 Jan 2014
This review is from: Dear Tony (Anthony Newley) (Hardcover)
This is a really lovely book detailing the author's friendship with the extremely talented and much missed Anthony Newley.Reading it was like being allowed a private glimpse into a friendship that we can only dream of,to meet and then become friends with your idol.Sue writes with honesty and compassion and is always fair with her observations,i really enjoyed the book and would recommend it to any fan of Tony's,i always thought he was a lovely man,this book confirms it,thank you Sue for sharing you story.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful read, 10 Jan 2014
This review is from: Dear Tony (Anthony Newley) (Hardcover)
If you're an Anthony Newley fan, it's a must read. Buy it. Read it. The story of Sue Selfe's loving friendship and the insights into this greatest of artists is funny and sad and touching. Make sure you have a box of Kleenex handy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A moving memoir, 2 Jan 2014
This review is from: Dear Tony (Anthony Newley) (Hardcover)
DEAR TONY is a lovely, sweet, funny, affectionate, touching account of the author's relationship with the great Anthony Newley. She opens her heart to reveal closely guarded secrets, and rewards the reader with this very moving account of a love story and friendship that spanned many years. A delight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dear Tony, 14 Dec 2013
This review is from: Dear Tony (Anthony Newley) (Hardcover)
'How Can I Ever Find Words To Say'. I purchased this book a few weeks back,but have put off writing a review as hard to put in to words how lovely,sweet and heart-breaking,at times, Sue's story is.Having also loved the great Anthony Newley since a child,it is lovely to find out more about the man.I would highly recommend this book,having been unable to put it down and read it on the way home after going to the book signing in London.I probably haven't done the book justice but it is a love story by someone lucky enough to meet and spend time with,someone she'd loved since a child.A wonderful book written with so much love about a wonderful man. x

5.0 out of 5 stars Dear Tony is a precious book and captivatingly written!, 3 Dec 2013
This review is from: Dear Tony (Anthony Newley) (Hardcover)
Dear Tony is such a precious book and captivatingly written. I loved it so much!

I've been a fan of Anthony Newley, the entertainer, the genius. But Sue Selfe shows us a rare glimpse of the man, and I must say, it makes me adore him even more. He is a person to be cherished, and this very heartfelt book makes that be known. Not only is it an endearing account of Mr. Newley, but it's a story about love and friendship. Some parts made me smile, some parts were heartbreaking, and every bit was enthralling.

How magical it was to read and be taken along Sue's own personal journey with Anthony Newley. It is a beautiful, unique story that touches the heart. I cannot say enough wonderful things about this book! The one complaint I do have though, is that it ended much too soon! -- There really is nothing better than a book you can't put down, and for me, this was one of them. It is such a tender, excellent book, keeping alive the memory of Mr. Newley. He has surely been done proud!

5.0 out of 5 stars True Love, 29 Nov 2013
This review is from: Dear Tony (Anthony Newley) (Hardcover)
I just finished reading Dear Tony. Several times as I read, the tears came into my eyes. I was asked why I was crying and my answer was this, 'Because I am reading a true love story, not one of those Mills and Boon things, a story that made me want to take the writer in my arms and comfort her, to love her and to care for her.' All I can say is if this book does not hit the reader emotionally, then the reader must be a robot.

5.0 out of 5 stars One from the heart..., 27 Nov 2013
This review is from: Dear Tony (Anthony Newley) (Hardcover)
Sue Selfe proclaims that this "tome for Tone" was written with her heart rather than the traditional pen, typewriter or vastly expensive word processing software. If that is what it takes to create pages filled with a surprise at every turn, a catch in the throat occasionally and a slight welling up of the lachrymal glands and yet three times as many smiles, then she has put the rest of us to shame.

This is a work that simply glows with love from start to finish. A personal love, a shared love and a public love for a man who was so many things to so many people, but a very special one to Sue.

If you don't know of Mister Newley and his output, you surely will in these pages. But if you yearn to know something more... something that nobody but a very special friend could tell you, then this the book for you.

To steal a line from one of the songs by Mr. Newley's oftime collaborator (Leslie Bricusse) Sue Selfe has "filled the world with love" here and she has not been afraid to show it. Good for Mister Newley, good for Sue and good for all of us. Hesitate no longer. Place your order.

Dear Tony (Anthony Newley)
Dear Tony (Anthony Newley) by Sue Selfe (Hardcover - 23 Nov 2013)
Out of stock