5.0 out of 5 stars A book for every mother
Published on 2 Dec. 2012 by hoyamum

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I thought it was
I bought this book but returned it a week later because it wasn't what I thought it was.
It was pretty spiritual and some of the poems were a bit gory in their writing.
I'm sure other people would like it, but it's not for me.
Published 19 months ago by L. LUMM

5.0 out of 5 stars A book for every mother, 2 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Musings on Mothering: About Pregnancy, Birth and Breastfeeding: an Anthology of Art, Poetry, and Prose (Paperback)
When I first opened this book, I thought I'd just quickly dip in to it, then get back to stirring the dinner on the stove. Fifteen minutes later,the dinner unattended, I couldn't put it down. Based around the various elements of a mother's life and development: pregnancy, birth, motherhood, etc. this is a book for which I have spent many hours searching bookshop shelves. I have always wanted a book with beautiful poetry and prose that actually celebrates the experience of being a mother. I've wanted a book that speaks to the heart and nurtures a mother with beautiful and heartfelt language. I've wanted to give new mothers a gift that will truly speak to their experience. This is that book. I've now bought several copies as gifts and I think it's the perfect book for every mother.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful anthology., 2 Dec. 2012
I bought this book because it raises money for a charity I am involved with, La Leche League GB (a mother to mother breastfeeding support charity), thinking that I would read it, enjoy it and then stick it on my shelf and forget about it. I was not expecting to be so touched by it though and I will be going back to it again and again (when I've got my copy back from my mum who I lent it to!) It is full of a wide variety of media (prose, poetry, sketches, photos and more) grouped into vaguely chronological themes, from conception and pregnancy onwards. The book is full of truly beautiful contributions that made me laugh, cry, sigh, reminisce and more. I'm planning on giving several to various friends for Christmas presents

5.0 out of 5 stars A blissful book that speaks to your soul., 17 April 2013
This book takes you on a journey through joy, heartache, surprise, awe and wonder. Packed with a variety of styles, renowned writers and artists. Tieka Bellamy's has achieved something in this book which will rock your world.
I haven't let it out of my sight for the last few weeks
It goes everywhere with me. Car, bath, kitchen, meetings.
It lifts me up on frantic crazy mummy days, makes me belly laugh and realigns my values.
Just bliss.

5.0 out of 5 stars .A beautiful book from cover to cover, 2 Dec. 2012
ru gardner - See all my reviews
Teika has collected a huge number of poems, haiku's, photographs, paintings - and love - from mothers and fathers and combined them together to make a journey from wishing, conception and birth through to everyday life and remembering mothers.
What is so lovely is that pictures from one mother will match up with a poem from another mother who may even live the other side of the world. Whoever we are motherhood unites us, and this book reflects that beautifully.
Musings is a book for returning to time and again, remembering our need to conceive, remembering our children as babies and remembering our own childhood. Musings is a gift for new mothers, mothers of few or many, and mothers of grown up children.

4.0 out of 5 stars Telling it how it is, 2 Oct. 2013
Although I was committed intellectually to the project behind this book, and was aware that people I knew (and who I knew could create in words or pictures) had contributed, I approached it with a certain amount of trepidation. Well aware of the powerful thing that motherhood is, I am however not inclined to gushiness or sentimentality and not much more inclined to reading it, although more so from people who I can feel confident live more authentically with the positive feelings (cf those who will 'do anything' for their child... so long as it doesn't inconvenience them) I don't choose to speak the 'language' of 'boob' and 'Attachment Parent'.

The irony is that I read this anthology of prose, poetry and pictures in the middle of the night - not because of child-related disturbances... unless you count the soppy dog who kept sneaking in and may have triggered the sleeplessness which was ultimately all my own (to believe some, only stupid martyred parents don't get a solid 8 hours every night). But it did enhance my appreciation of the pieces which relate to night-time parenting - the private joys as well as the better known (and all too real) fatigue.

I was surprised and delighted to see contributions from men about their children, the mothers of their children, their own experiences and their own mothers. I felt the inclusion of contributed visual images - drawings, cartoons, child art, batik, sculpture, quilting, photographs - and the way they were matched with text really enhanced the collection. I enjoyed the variety of images - especially 'Emma and Josiah' a black ad white photograph of a mother applying mascara whilst nursing her baby, and the 'Statue of Our Lady' from a church in Tobermory - and the variety of written forms, haiku, prose reflections general and more personal. I particularly like Rachel O'Leary's little piece about herself as a new mother watching the other mother in high heels and lipstick who seems to have it all together, and then meeting her later when their children are teenagers. I was startled and moved by a beautiful poem to a child I know by a grandmother I don't.... and startled, moved and saddened by fresh details of a birth story I had thought I already knew.

I found the biographies at the end interesting - both what was provided, and what wasn't. Teika Bellamy has stuck her neck out way beyond most people's comfort zones to make this happen - a powerful riposte to Cyril Connolly's "There is no more sombre an enemy of good art than the pram in the hall" HIs mistake, clearly, is not to have the baby in his arms.

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing reminder of what it's all about, 5 July 2013
I really loved this book. I keep it near to me for when I need lifting up from the round of nose-wiping, lego-stepping, food-preparing and food-clearing, and every time I open it I get a reminder of what I'm doing this for, of the wonderful, fulfilling, rewarding task of motherhood. It also makes me broody, remembering my pregnancy. A fantastic gift for mothers who want to reflect on what they're doing and celebrate their feelings about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book, perfect for a gift, or a new/expectant mum treat, 19 Sept. 2013
This is a wonderfully put together collection of poems, stories and pictures, which are inspiring and comforting. As a new mum I occasionally felt lonely and isolated with the paths I was choosing in parenting, and this book is a lovely way to feel supported, connected and inspired, in those moments of solitude. It is a beautiful portrayal of motherhood and of breastfeeding and being instinctive, which has so many snippets of different people's ideas and images of this that it gives a wonderful glimpse of moments in mothering. The way the book is laid out is just perfect for dipping in and out of in a spare moment. I would highly recommend it to mothers old and new.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most rewarding moments that mothers have is ..., 5 Sept. 2014
One of the most rewarding moments that mothers have is feeling relaxed enough to listen to each other and muse about what they have heard, although not necessarily acting on it. Perhaps it is the respect for each other, for their partners and children that makes mothers embrace life the way it is – resiliently and wisely.

This book is all about how mothers, fathers and grandmothers cope, and what they think. It is not a manual, because raising children cannot possibly have a manual where “one size fits all”.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and refreshing, 7 Mar. 2014
A beautiful book that celebrates parenthood in all it's guises. Refreshing to read as an 'old hat' mother because of the way it sees the parenthood journey through so many different eyes. Recommended for new parents especially.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning gift book, 17 Jun. 2013
M. A. Topping "anjitopping" (Cheshire UK) - See all my reviews
This is a stunning book of stunning artwork and photographs, interesting prose pieces and a range of poetry which is all accessible to anyone, but particularly relevant to parents and grandparents. The quality of production is very high. The paper is heavy and glossy and it's quite a large size paperback. It is arranged in sections: From Broody to Birth, Babymoon, Being a Mother, Of Fathers, Everyday Life, Challenging Times, Remembering Mothers, Our Children. It embraces every stage of parenthood, including moving poems about stillbirth and miscarriage, bereavement and mourning, as well as joy and celebration. There are some well known poets included, such as Pippa Little, Alwyn Marriage, Sarah James and Angela Topping, birth guru Sheila Kitzinger, alongside others who have been moved to writing by the profundity of the experience of parenthood, and also some excellent artists both professional and talented amateur. The book has been lovingly edited and every copy sold raises money for La Leche League. Highly recommended for the general public and parents in particular.

Used & New from: £13.99