Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 April 2012
This book is not a bedtime read simply because once you start to read Sons of Africa you will not be able to put it down. The story pulls you in and all the characters feel so very real. I felt I could almost taste the dust on the long waggon journey and I certainly felt sure I knew the strong female character portrayed.
An excellent read. Lets hope Mr. Whittam quickly publishes his next book. I wonder if it will be a sequel!Sons of Africa
on 22 March 2013
If you have never been, this book will tell you what Africa is really like, it's descriptive, detailed and above all, it makes you want to go there...well, what are you waiting for?

Africa is one of those places that makes me feel I am 'Home' and this book reinforces that...I love it.
on 18 October 2013
Chose 5stars because the book keeps you reading it all the time, long time since I have not been able to put a book down.
on 8 October 2013
This book was well written and very descriptive of Africa, and knowing Africa well i really am enjoying it still/
on 21 September 2011
To be honest, I can be a little blinkered when it comes to reading stories about Africa. There are a handful of authors who I follow religiously and I approach new writers with caution, but my concerns have been totally unfounded - Jeffrey Whittam's Sons of Africa is brilliant. The characters are believable, the story is full of adventure, intrigue and the historical references are accurate. I'd recommend this book to anyone who'd love to read, what is quite simply, a cracking good story.
on 13 November 2012
Excellent read in the style of Wilber Smith, difficult to put down as you always want to reach the next part. Waiting for his next book 'Empress Gold' - hurry up Jeffrey and get this one published.
on 1 June 2013
I am a Son of Africa, 5th generation and loved this book which beautifully followed the hard trail of the founders of Rhodesia as they trekked by horse-cart from Kimberley to the new frontiers of gold. The inevitable conflict between white sons and black sons is powerfully portrayed with balanced perspective. Well done Jeffrey.
on 5 September 2013
Agree with all the previous reviews Great story line and historically interesting. If I was being very fussy it would have been good to have had more of a story line thru the middle fifty odd years.
on 23 November 2013
Having enjoyed five different "safari" holidays in Kenya, Tanzania, South Africa and Namibia I am always excited to relive stories in those locations. This author brought out the "spice" of the open plains, the grasslands the animals and so forth. Next best thing to actually being on that marvellous continent.
on 27 January 2014
This is a great read charting the early days of the gold rush and the Matabele wars in Southern Africa. It contains everything you could possibly want; action, adventure, a love story, sex, treachery and mystery. As another reviewer has said this isn't a bed time read as you can't put it down. Me Whittam has a real feel for a good yarn. A thoroughly good read in the style of early Wilbur Smith