5.0 out of 5 stars A Tale of Two Cities
Published on 30 July 2012 by Here & Now Blog

3.0 out of 5 stars My youth
Good to read about my youth and the area where I was born. Spent many an interesting! evening in the Two Puddings. Knew a few people written about and found out more about their lives. Have passed the book to a number of people.
Published 12 months ago by Christine

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Tale of Two Cities, 30 July 2012
This review is from: Tales from the Two Puddings (Paperback)
I'm far too young to remember the sixties and the only thing I knew about Stratford (until now) is that it looks pretty depressing whilst whizzing past it on the train to work, although now, of course, the focus of the world is on it due to the Olympic games. But I picked up my mum's copy as I was bored on Saturday afternoon and I couldn't put it down all weekend. It is packed with beautiful photographs from the sixties and the author really writes wonderfully, very, very funny at times, but also describes the day to day violence that was encountered in the Two Puddings with great detail and tension. I never write reviews but apparently this is the 80 year old author's first book (bravo for him) so I have since bought several copies for friends who live in East London and I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in an authentic but largely forgotten history of this strange part of London.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looking back, 26 July 2012
This review is from: Tales from the Two Puddings (Paperback)
A great book about some of the people and places from a wonderful era .
Bringing back lots of memories of the many groups and singers that
appeared regularly at the venues run by the brothers , some memories
of that time are funny some are scary but most of all they are great
Memories of a wonderful time and many memorable people .

5.0 out of 5 stars Dancing round your handbag, 20 Aug 2012
This review is from: Tales from the Two Puddings (Paperback)
This book was recommended to me by my Aunty Diane and I loved it - I also recognised some of the old faces of Stratford. It really took you right back to when Stratford was the place to go and people would come from miles away to go to the Two Puddings and Snobs for a great night out. The lights and the music! Deprived area?? - I must of missed that, it was a great time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Swinging sixties!, 24 July 2012
This review is from: Tales from the Two Puddings (Paperback)
A wonderful personal history from a genuine Londoner. It should prove of great interest to anyone fascinated by cultural history in that it shows a far less cliched view of London during the swinging sixties than we usually get to see. The author, Eddie Johnson, also displays great humour and sensitivity in bringing back to life many long dead characters from this lost East End world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great-grandaughter, 26 Dec 2012
This review is from: Tales from the Two Puddings (Paperback)
This is a great read and a particular interest to me. Both me and my husband went to the Two Puddings in the sixties before we knew one another and then as a couple, we married in 1969. I knew my Dad's family had something to do with the Two Puddings but it wasn't until I started to delve into it more deeply that I found that William J. Davis and wife Clara were the 'publicans' and in fact my great grandparents so you can imagine I am enjoying reading this. Excellent!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 7 Oct 2012
This review is from: Tales from the Two Puddings (Paperback)
I purchased this book for my parents , we come from the east end and so could relate to it , it is a very good read , the author writes so well that you can imagine yourself there , it's 3 yes's from us !
Well done Mr Eddie Johnson (author)

5.0 out of 5 stars Tales from the Two Puddings, 6 Sep 2012
M. Oconnor (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tales from the Two Puddings (Paperback)
PURCHASED FOR HUBBY AS A HOLIDAY READ - HE LOVES IT. TALE ABOUT A REAL EAST END PUB AND WHAT HAPPENED THERE - STAFF ETC.

5.0 out of 5 stars London Life, 13 Aug 2012
This review is from: Tales from the Two Puddings (Paperback)
Eddie Johnson's memoir perfectly captures his time at the Two Puddings with real humour grit and personal insight. To quote Mr Johnson "to really know East Enders you have to be one and, unless you are, your trust must be withheld", but I was completely satisified with this glimpse into London social history and highly recommend his book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tales from the Two Puddings, 15 Jan 2013
This review is from: Tales from the Two Puddings (Paperback)
I originally only got this book out of curiosity because me and two friends once won a Mr and Mrs competition years ago in the Two Puddings.

However I found it brilliant and very well written.

A great record of a time and a place now sadly lost forever (with the added bonus that Eddie is Matt Johnson's dad from The The!). I wonder if they'll be writing books like this about Westfield?

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought for my parents, 10 Nov 2012
This review is from: Tales from the Two Puddings (Paperback)
My mother used to go the the pub based in the book at the time of the story. It was nice for her to reminse about the old days. My father obviously thought it was all a load of old rubbish lol because he was area as well.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Tales from the Two Puddings
Tales from the Two Puddings by Eddie Johnson (Paperback - 1 July 2012)
9.79