5.0 out of 5 stars Though Provoking Read, 1 Jun 2011
I am currently a counselor in training and found this book an engaging + thought provoking read. It challenges the concept behind what it means to identify as Trans and wide spectrum of possibilities on the transgender spectrum. It is well research and referenced. It is a great mix of Alex's personal experience with theory, which creates questions about our own definitions of Trans. It is essential reading for any professional working with these issues as well as engaging for Trans individuals on a personal level. Your bookshelf will be lonely without it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read....., 13 Jun 2011
I always approach academic explanations with a sigh of tolerance, of having to get the job done as it were, but I was pleasantly relieved to find the first part of this book very easy to read and understand, a great boon to people who have to read of lot dry stuff. The second part is simply a pleasure, amusing, touching and presented in such a way that those who have little or no transgender knowledge can get a glimpse of what life is like in the transgender world.

Bravo.... a nice book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Some Sanity at Last, 6 Jun 2011
A refreshing perspective, on what is a very misinformed subject. Many of Alex's references to his own journey, are very similar to my own, and that also goes for his efforts to blend his male and female sides.
This book has helped to empower me in my own efforts to normalise my way off being as a biological male, with a strong feminine side. The only way for society to change for the better, is for people like ourselves to come out of hiding, and to mix with the rest of humanity, in a wholesome way.

5.0 out of 5 stars A new grrl about town, 9 Sep 2014
This review is from: Grrl Alex: A Personal Journey to a Transgender Identity (Paperback)
I recently read Grrl Alex from start to finish on a train journey between West Wales and Norwich. An absorbing and at times hilarious read, it proved to be an excellent travel companion. At the heart of her work Alex presents the reader with a model by which she embraces a transgender identity (in a space between male and female) and, in so doing, achieves a liberating sense of self-acceptance: her pioneering example and promotion of ‘gender fluidity’ I believe has the potential to create hope and change lives. The book is challenging – in that Alex forces the reader to step outside the comfort and familiarity of the binary gender paradigm and to consider life uninhibited by this ubiquitous social construct, but also courageous in terms of candid self-disclosure and an attempt to chart new ground in the field of transgender studies. I highly recommend it – particularly to those who (in literary terms) desire to ‘walk a mile in another man’s moccasins’. Well, – pink, fluffy boots, actually…

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful for many, 11 Feb 2012
Grrl Alex is another take on the internal complexities of gender identity outside of the expected norm. He writes about his own fears and doubts as he swims off into the troubled waters of being gender different. These experiences resonate with my own when I first came onto the stage of life in a feminine persona. I think it's always useful to hear that we are not alone, and our feelings resonate with others, and for those who are not informed of the developments in gender identities, the understanding that there is not just a simple woman/man binary but a range as wide as imagination, it would be useful too.

The personal journey to a transgender identity is good for those who are looking for self acceptance in being somewhere in the middle, so essential for many who look for certainty in a shifted identity and find none.It shows that there is a place for us all.

It's good for those who are stepping out of the box into another gendered world that Alex gives good space for the intellectual, gender theory side of things, which gives the whole thing a reality and legitimacy that is sometimes lacking in a world of misunderstanding and scorn.

The different destination in a personal journey that I have come to, as a transsexual woman who lives easily in society and travels the world in my permanent and untroubled female role is a place that might be worthy of some further work. The journey can go on to other places where the sun shines.

But good for you, Alex, standing up and being counted, making a real difference with therapists who live in mystery of things transgender, and giving hope to those who are struggling with flexible identity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest and informative, 26 Aug 2011
Alex writes clearly and honestly in this lovely two part book. The first part is academic yet easy to follow. The second part is a personal account of Alex's experiences as he re-enters the world step by step as his transgender self. It feels very easy to feel warmth towards Alex as he describes with honesty the unfamiliar new experiences with courage and humour. Alex writes in a style that is both quirky and easy to digest. A strong recommendation for counsellors and psychotherapists in particular, who may have not gained adequate awareness regarding sexuality and gender on their training courses.

5.0 out of 5 stars expanding my thinking, 16 Jun 2011
This is an important book. Alex Drummond has made an academic study of why men dress as woman and pulled together significant pieces of research to show this aspect of humanity through a different lense. This book gave me the opportunity to experience something of another life and in so doing, added to my knowledge of what it is to be human. And, not to get too over-the-top about it, but increased understanding? That's where peace begins. This book is funny, moving and deeply, deeply illuminating. Walk with Alex as he takes his first, precarious steps out - in 4" heels - as a fully clothed, made-up, groomed girl. Alex Drummond documents each foray, in girl-time, with such breath-taking honesty, and in such detail, that I felt his fear, clenched my stomach muscles with his courage, and smiled inwardly when warmth was returned. When each journey concluded, following happy encounters and normality, I cheered. Some very serious ideas are explored in this book and he asks important questions - of us all. Reading this has caused me to reappraise my view of the world. I commend it to anyone who is interested in growing as a human being. I loved it and look forward to the next.

5.0 out of 5 stars A professional but moving book, 6 Jun 2011
This book is one of a kind. Written in accessible and understandable language which gives up to date, properly researched current information for therapists but also has a very human, touching side in the authors own personal experience of life for transgender people.
Makes for a clear understanding of the difficulties faced by anyone who doesnt 'fit in the box' society imposes. The authors personal experience enables him to write with humor and clarity about the trials and battles, the fears and finally the courage needed to 'come out' in public dressed as he wishes. This book has enabled me to understand that even as therapists we often make assumptions about people based purely on their manner of dress and has certainly enhanced my own working practice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book for anyone unsure of their gender identity, 5 Nov 2013
I am transgender myself and I am struggling to figure out my own gender identity. For someone in my situation this is a great book. I could relate to many of the experiences described by the author.

The book is divided in two parts. The first one describing the journey of the author from an unsure crossdresser, to embracing an transgender identity - without walking the transsexual path. Instead the author identifies as gender-queer and lives an alternative lifestyle without having a sex-change. This in itself is interesting reading. But what I think earns this book the extra star, is the second part, that takes a more academic approach on being transgender. In a way it is almost as if you read two different books for the price of one.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone that is transgender or who is related to someone who is. But others might still find this an intriguing reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, thought provoking and educational!, 30 Dec 2012
This book provides a welcome insight into aspects of transgender identity - a topic which has been/is rarely covered in mainstream media. Alex Drummond shares personal experience and refreshing new developments in theoretical research to illustrate how it is possible to live openly and feel accepted as transgender.
For me the personal account brings a sense of realness and credibility which could not be achieved through isolated intellectual debate. It also significantly contributed to sustaining my interest from start to finish. Reading `Grrl Alex' made me reflect on my own values and gave hope to my sense of equality for human beings. I think it makes invaluable reading for anyone interested in the subject of gender identity- but could be especially helpful for someone struggling to come to terms with their own identity or perhaps relating to another person who is perceived as being `different'. Speaking as a qualified counsellor I would strongly recommend this book to be included on `suggested reading' lists for any relevant training courses and workshops.
In publishing `Grrl Alex - A Personal Journey To A Transgender Identity' Alex Drummond succeeds to inform challenge and inspire.

Grrl Alex: A Personal Journey to a Transgender Identity
Grrl Alex: A Personal Journey to a Transgender Identity by Alex Drummond (Paperback - 20 Jan 2012)