on 8 June 2010
My children's school is one of the first schools to have been given the cookery grant from Romilla Arber. She came to the school to present the cookery equipment bought with the grant and to do a cookery school with some of the children. My son took part and thoroughly enjoyed cooking tomato soup and cheesy muffins. I bought the book came home, opened it up and made one of the chicken pies that very same evening. It was really easy, delicious and everyone was eager to try something new. We have since used it almost daily and haven't opened another cook book since purchasing it. We love it and the children are inspired to try new things as they can follow the recipies and help to prepare the dinner. Now buying another book for my father who is eager to give the recipies a go. All the proceeds go to more cookery grants for other children at other schools. Love it!! Love it!!
on 1 March 2009
What's for Dinner?
This book is fantastic. Easy to use. Well presented. Child friendly. Ingredients easy to purchase. Well thought out and written. This is one of the best user friendly cookery books on the market.
on 12 January 2010
This book is absolutely brilliant. After years of trying and failing to get organised in terms of shopping for food, menu planning and cooking, this book has turned me into a well organised and brilliant cook overnight. I've already cooked three weeks' worth of recipes following this system and they have all been delicious. I honestly don't think I will ever use any of my other cookery books. Romilla has done all the hard work for me, I now just buy what's on her shopping list and I'm sorted for the week. I've rediscovered the joy of cooking - it no longer seems like a chore because all the planning is done for you, you just get to do the fun bit, the cooking. You won't regret buying this book.
on 10 December 2008
fantastic easy to understand. if you buy just one cook it should be this one.
on 29 April 2013
I chose this book as I wanted a cookery manual that had a wide variety of recipes. Romilla's recipes are easy to follow and focus on the importance of a balanced diet. Each week comprises of a variety of recipes that use vegetables, red meat, poultry, fish and game. The recipes are really easy to follow and quick to prepare, which is great as I am a busy mum. If you ever buy one cookery book this year, make it this one! Not only is it a fabulous book with excellent photography, all proceeds from the sale of "What's for Dinner?" and "What's for Dinner? Second Helpings" go to The Food Education Trust ([...] a charity founded by the author. Amazing book and an amazing cause!
on 28 June 2012
I've never writen a review before but just felt I had to write about this book. This book is the second installment of Romilla Arber's 'what's for dinner' and the profits of both books go to the Food Education Trust that she set up to promote healthy eating and cooking. I think that is very comendable and for that reason alone I think it's a good investment, but the book itself is fabulous too!

This is a HUGE book that has taken me weeks of looking through, just to get through the 740-odd pages and read the few lines of comments that the author puts at the top of each recipe. The book is about 5cms thick and has 521 recipes (according to the acknowledgements). The idea is that there is a savoury recipe for every day of the year, set out in weekly blocks, using seasonal ingredients. There are also a few recipes per week for sweets or cakes as a treat. The author has kids herself, so these recipes are all tried and tested at her family table and often she writes a little comment about whether her children liked it or not.

I'll pick some random pages/recipes to give you a flavour of what's in there:
Doughnuts, duck in a pot with vegetables, lamb in a pot, rhubarb crumble with ginger cream, fresh pappardelle with tomato and basil sauce, mackerel salad, spiced loin of lamb with pilaf rice and cucumber salad, apricot and raspberry cream tart, carrot and courgette muffins, crispy pork sandwiches with apple sauce, pasta with courgettes, tomatoes and pancetta, coffee cake with mocha icing, red pepper and tomato risotto, ham and mushroom lasagne, meatballs in a pot, sausage and cabbage stew, roast chicken with mascarpone and herb stuffing and fennel gratin, sliced oranges in syrup with ginger madeleines, mini nut and chocolate tarts, and plaice goujons with tartare sauce.

The author seems to be worried about eating any processed food (including tortilla wraps, margarine etc) and so most things are made from scratch (shortcrust pastry, mayonnaise, bread etc). I love having that option, but my work and family commitments don't always make that a possibility, but I just substitute elements for shop-bought when I have to.

The photos are amazing and it is stylishly presented (compared to book one which is slightly more dated in its look). There isn't a photo for every recipe, but the book is almost too big to lift up comfortably as it is, so it just wouldn't be feasable! Having a quick flick through, there might be two recipes without a photo and then two with, and then two without and then one with and so on.

Most of the more complicated recipes are put on the saturday and sundays, so you have more time to prepare them but to be honest there are still some recipes mid-week that aren't quick (usually time-consuming in terms of cooking times rather than being fiddly, so maybe not a problem if you are home all day and can still get on with other things whilst the oven is on). But it isn't practical for me to be able to use this as a menu-planner as its designed. In fact, for me it doesn't really work as a menu book, as recipes don't use up left overs from the day before. For example a recipe might call for pre-cooked chicken, which would be ideal if it was the monday after a roast chicken, so that you could use the left-overs. Or on the other hand, if a recipe on tuesday needs 1 tbsp of mascarpone, then I want a recipe on wednesday or thursday that will use up the rest of the tub! But this doesn't really happen in this book. However, please don't let that put you off buying it, as I think it's still amazing as a 'seasonal recipe' book along the same lines as Nigel Slater's Kitchen diaries. Also in her first book, there was a weekly list of the ingredients for that week, to enable you to shop for the lot without going through each recipe, but that's evidently been dropped and there isn't such a list each week in 'second helpings'.

Obviously, like all of us, the author seems to have her favourite ingredients or types of food. There is quite a bit of pastry, red meat (although there are non-meat dishes at least twice weekly I think), pancetta, beans (butter beans, cannellini etc) and a few others, but to be honest, considering she has come up with >500 recipes there isn't too much repetition.

So all in all, if you are a lover of beautiful recipe books or a fan of wholesome home-cooked food (rather than more chef-y type food) (or both, like me!) then I think you won't be disappointed in this book.
on 2 December 2015
You can throw away any other cookery books you have as this is the only one you will ever need. I have collected literally hundreds of recipe books over the years and this is the best I have ever seen. Totally brilliant.
on 7 February 2016
Brilliant; I have been looking for a book like this for a long time. 365 dinner recipes, one for every day of the year, set out on a week by week basis.
Simple, readily available ingredients and straightforward preparation and cooking. Good variety. I am delighted with my purchase and would thoroughly recommend it ; great for when you just can't think of what to cook. The really good thing about this book is that it is intended for use in UK; I have tried several American books and web sites which do the daily recipe thing , along with a weekly shopping list, but found they just didn't work for me. It comes with a nice kitchen proof jacket and book mark . So glad to have found this.
on 21 August 2014
This and its sequel are excellent cookbooks. They deserve more recognition. Plenty of good ideas and straightforward recipes. Recommended.
on 3 April 2013
I ordered this book, having read a a favourable review in the Telegraph magazine. I was bitterly disappointed when I received it. There was hardly one recipe in this tome of a book that I would choose to make. It is at best dull and average. And that's just the recipes. The pictures all seem to depict sludgy and most un appealing dishes.
I can happily cook from recipes with no illustrations. However if one is going to bother to photograph food - it could, at least, be made to look attractive and appetising.