5.0 out of 5 stars Wow what a read
Wow! What more can I say?

I thought that I would use the Easter Holiday to start reading Whisper, I began to read mainly at night knowing I wouldn't have to get up early the next day but it also extended to during the day.

I struggled!

Struggled to put it down.

Whisper, by Michael Bray, is a must read for any...
Published 22 months ago by Sylv

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid supernatural horror
Published 6 months ago by M. Brookes

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow what a read, 8 May 2013
This review is from: Whisper (Kindle Edition)
Wow! What more can I say?

I struggled!

Struggled to put it down.

Whisper, by Michael Bray, is a must read for any horror/supernatural fan out there.

From start to finish, (especially the finish) you wont be disappointed. It has everything from the nice couple Steve and Melody, to the sleazy Donovan, to last but not least, the forces. Whilst reading you just can't imagine how it will end, there are some real surprises within the book too. Not going to tell you, you just have to go and get your own copy

Michael has a way with words, his writing is right up with the Stephen King and Dean Koontz books, the cliffhangers between each chapter, will keep you reading to find out what is going to happen, not just the next chapter but the chapter after that.

I was left alone during the day for an hour while I was finishing off the final chapter, I got creeped out, thinking I was being watched {shudder}. Now when I go into the kitchen at night, I wont look out the window thanks Michael no seriously thank you for writing such a chilling and brilliant book.

Do I recommend Whisper? Hmm let me see! Well I can't wait to read more of Michael Bray's books and I suggest you do too

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterclass in tension, 7 July 2013
This review is from: Whisper (Kindle Edition)
When Steve and Melody buy Hope House, they can't believe their luck. The house is beautiful, isolated and the perfect place to begin their lives together. Unfortunately for them, Hope House has a deadly secret. A secret that the local community will go to any lengths to keep.

Whisper is, without a doubt, one of the best ghost stories I've read in the last few years. Not since Heart Shaped Box has a tale chilled me like this. All of the characters are well drawn and believable, and Bray builds the tension slowly, but relentlessly, interspersing the quieter moments with flashbacks showing what happened to the previous owners of the house.

And it works brilliantly.

As the story progressed, I became increasingly drawn into the world that Bray paints, and I read the last half of the book in a single sitting, because I just could not put it down.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars The sort of book you stay up late with!, 13 May 2013
This review is from: Whisper (Kindle Edition)
I must say that Michael Bray has the potential to equal the likes of Stephen King and Richard Laymon. This is the first book of his I have read and I was captured by the suspense right away.
Story wise, without spoiling too much; start with a house in the middle of nowhere, add in a city couple and some freaky goings on and you've got yourself a cocktail of horror and thrills. Very well written, with plenty of description that enables you to visualise the settings, this book will make a great film or tv series.
His use of flashbacks was impressive and leaves you in suspense waiting to see the roots of the story. Often in books with flashback the story becomes muddied and the plot wanders but Michael kept everything to the point, not allowing himself to drag out the story for a bigger page number and he kept the scenarios separate enough that you wont become lost as to where or when you are.
The only downfall for me is merely my downfall as a reader, as my imagination is pretty poor, having spent a long time reading textbooks. His description of the main characters is minimal if not non-existent. Unfortunately as I don't even know anyone with the names I found it hard to associate a face to the characters which was a pain.
But it still only took me a couple of days to read this, including a couple of past midnight readings much to my brains disgust.
This book will envelop you into a world of thrill and curiosity, leaving you wanting more. I know I certainly cant wait for Michaels next book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 26 Oct. 2013
I really enjoyed this book.The characters came to life on their own. Very descriptive and scary in some parts.but kept me up all night wanting to read more.This writer is excellent on the way he describes every detail.Great attention to detail.Look foward to buying more books from this author

5.0 out of 5 stars Not to shabby, 25 July 2013
This review is from: Whisper (Kindle Edition)
I usually avoid reading anything that the reviews say is anything like Stephen King as apart from his early stuff, I find him a bit long winded and boring. I'm glad I give Whisper a go as I enjoyed this book very much. I liked the way the writer jumped between time periods easily and without confusion. This book has a bit of everything really. Curses, serial killers, ghosts and even a witch. While there's a lot going on, Mr Brays writing style is clear and concise which made the book an easy read. I would most certainly read something else be Michael Bray.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read, although some obvious errors..., 3 Aug. 2014
Michael J. Houston (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
Enjoyable haunted house tale overall, but I couldn't help noticing that there are certain aspects of the story which are totally inconsistent with reality. Firstly the builder of Hope House goes to discuss the project with his business partner whose office is in London, yet the house is in the USA. Considering the time and money involved in a transatlantic round trip in the first decade of the 19th century, I found this very odd. Secondly, the generations of the Jones family make no sense. Michael Jones builds the house in 1809, and in modern era his great-grandson, Will, owns the local pub. From the plot we can deduce that Will's grandfather must have been already born when the house was built. Will is, I would guess, in his 40s, yet has a grandfather who would have be around 200 years old? Not likely. Also, Will states that his great-grandfather built the pub in 1899. Granted, it wouldn't necessarily be the same great grandfather, but even so, the time difference is far too big for two men who would be of roughly the same generation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read., 27 Mar. 2015
While I don’t read them very often, I do love reading horror stories. I find that movies are hard to endure as the tricks are often easy to see through and it’s all just a pile of gimmicks, which is great at first but gets a bit boring eventually. Whereas books have a tendency to dive a little deeper, to get into the nitty and gritty of emotions and to really build the tension through sentence structure and hidden mysteries. Whisper by Michael Bray has everything needed for a good horror story and while it wasn’t one that completely gave me a wow factor, it was a book that I did really enjoy and one that I’m glad I read. It’s just unfortunate that there were a few issues I found with this book, but more likely than anything else these issues are more personal then anything else – especially as a lover of horror books!

The one thing that Michael Bray has achieved is a deep, dark, twisty plot that gets your heart racing. With lots of different things on the horizon, he manages to pull the reader and makes them eager to keep turning the pages. Where you’re taken in one direction for one thing, at the same time you’re being pulled elsewhere which was a really interesting way of doing things. The only problem I had with the plot was that it often got a little bit repetitive. While the scenes of the history were different, they were also the same and it just got a bit irritating to keep reading the same thing. But I also read it on its own (whereas I normally read more than one book at once) and so I was probably just noticing it more than I would have. I can definitely see why it was useful in the book, but it was just something that I struggled with. The rest of the plot was really good though and made up for this small bit of repetitiveness.

As mentioned above, one of the best things about horror novels is the way that they can dig deeper into emotions, especially with well-written characters and Michael has achieved this quite well. These characters have depth, they have flaws, but they’re also not the kind of characters who have inhumane strength. They don’t intentionally run into danger and are often seen to struggle getting out of it and I liked that about the book. It helped to make it more real, really bringing a horrifying aspect to the novel. Despite this, I really wasn’t a fan of the main protagonist Melody. But, this was more of a personality crash for me, if I met her in person I would probably roll my eyes and refuse to be friends with her, but that doesn’t mean that she wasn’t a well written character, she just wasn’t for me. Steve, on the other hand, was a great character who was protective, charming, stubborn, and a little obssessed but he almost always had his wife at the forefront of his mind and I liked being able to see that.

The very first thing that captured me about this book is the set up of the chapters. This book jolts you throughout the history of the house and the woods and it instantly had me hooked and wanting to read on. I found it to be exhilariting to capture all of the different moments. When it started to settle on Melody and Steve, I was grateful and looked forward to staying in the presence. Which is probably another reason why when it went back into the history, I didn’t particularly enjoy it. But it can be said that the style really works in the books favour as it makes you eager to continue reading to know what is actually going on and how it will all end up in the end. It is finally worth mentioning Michael Bray’s writing which was the real clincher for me. It was compelling, interesting, and shows that he has a lot of talent. I’ll certainly be looking forward to reading more of his work.

All in all, Whisper is a book that aims to set your teeth on edge and to pull you out of your safety zone and it does a good job at it. If you’re looking for a read that is dark, scary, and fully of spiritual and physical horror, then this is definitely the book for you. It is great at building the tension, of keeping the reader entertained, and of just bringing a very unique and good story to life. It is a book that I am really glad that I got a chance to read and would easily recommend to others. While there were a few things that I struggled to enjoy within the book, it is definitely a book that I liked and one that I am certain others will enjoy as well. Especially readers who are less nit-picky then I am! Michael Bray is an author I’ll be keeping an eye on from now on.

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid supernatural horror, 21 Sept. 2014
M. Brookes - See all my reviews
This book is a decent take on the haunted/possessed house story. A young couple move into an old house with a dark atmosphere and an even darker atmosphere. The overall idea might be a familiar one but there enough twists to make it its own. I especially enjoyed the association with other members of the community, although I would have liked to see this aspect developed more.

The book is very well written and does a good job of the mounting darkness and insanity. However there are a couple of points that detracted from this for me. The first, as already mentioned, is that the tale is for the most part a familiar one. It was easy to anticipate most of the plot before it evolved. Although there are some well placed moments in there which counter this.

My other big issue was the two main characters - the husband and wife. They are a mercurial pair and some of the sudden changes in their behaviour seemed odd. They also make some of the common mistakes that characters in horror situations seem to make. I would also have liked to see a few of the secondary characters brought to life a bit more.

Those two issues aside this is a solid horror read. It builds on atmosphere rather than gore - which is always appreciated. It's well paced and has some genuinely spooky moments. A worthy read if you're a fan of supernatural horror.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shout it out loud - GREAT READ!, 8 Oct. 2014
Mr. John Frank Herbert (Greenwich, London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whisper (Paperback)
When Steve and Melody Samson move into their idyllic cottage in the forest,
all hell breaks loose!
The history of the cottage is protected by the locals and of course they're fully
aware of the horrors that the Samsons will encounter.
It all plays along rather spookily, entwined in the menace of the trees surrounding
their home.
A jolly good haunting read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended and I'm keen to get my hands on book two., 30 Sept. 2014
Whisper is one of the best ghost stories I have read in a while. It's hard to find a ghost story that is not just the same old story written in a different format and I was pleased to find that Whispers was not only original, but had both the paranormal and the more human side of horror.

It's also the first in a long time to have creeped me out. I read it in the dark during a long night of high winds, curled up on the sofa while the wind whistled down the chimney. If you have read or are reading this book, you'll understand how much that added to the creepy atmosphere while reading.

I enjoyed the switches between the different time periods, the snippets of back story which added to the growing tension of the main storyline, had me wanting to know more of the history of the house. The characters are believable and it's very easy to get drawn into the story and lost in their world. The tension builds at a nice pace and before you know it you find yourself listening for noises or checking the corners of the room.

Whisper
Whisper by Michael Bray (Paperback - 30 Sept. 2013)