5.0 out of 5 stars The Horse at the Gates - DC Alden
How do I even begin to review this book without spoiling the story? I'm not usually lost for words or lost when describing the plot of a book, but this one has rattled me. It's a story based in the near future.

Published 8 days ago by BestSellingCrimeThrillers

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Another book which starts well and then gradually runs out of steam with a poor ending/climax. Disapoointing and immensely forgettable!
Published 13 months ago by M.J.Shaw

5.0 out of 5 stars The Horse at the Gates - DC Alden, 17 July 2014

Islamabad, the capital of Pakistan has had the entire administration heart of the city destroyed by a massive nuclear bomb. This in turn leads to complete disintegration of Pakistan causing a civil war and refugees fleeing across the world. Heathrow, the airport, is turned into a camp for the displaced.

Gabe Bryce, the Prime Minister is visiting Heathrow, on the request of Brian Davies, the Chief of Operations, Border Force. He learns some very disturbing facts about one of his ministers, Tariq Saeed. It appears that Sharia Law is being practiced openly and that the Minister has withheld these facts from the Prime Minister. Tariq Saeed wants The Prime Minister to sign the Egyptian Treaty which will mean no more borders across Europe and Islamic Law running all countries. Just before Gabe Bryce can sack Saeed and stop the treaty from being signed, 10 Downing Street and the surrounding buildings are completely destroyed in a bomb attack.

This book is so well written that I feel as if this actual plot could come to fruition. There is no fairy-tale ending. There is no redemption from the fanatics. I've been left with more questions than answers: Is today's society aware enough to take on fanaticism? Is world security strong enough to quash an attack of this magnitude from taking place? Could places like Heathrow really be taken over as refugee camps? My mind boggles with the "what ifs & whys" of this book. Can't wait to read more from this author. - Treebeard

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Take it Seriously....... or Should We ??, 28 Jan 2012
Mr. D. J. Walford (Lancashire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Horse at the Gates (Paperback)
As soon as I saw "Horses" available on Amazon, I immediately bought it. I had read Alden's "Invasion" several years ago and pretty much knew what to expect.

Imagine this, a Britain run by feckless and politically correct politicians who have forgotten who their constituents are. Their directives and policies are taken advantage of by Ideological, militant Islamist's, hell bent on capturing Europe in the name of Allah..... British and European laws and legislation are slowly superceeded by new rules which are not for the benefit of the infidel..... Alden paints this, quite frankly, frightening picture of a future Britain by playing on the fears of 'Middle England', i.e. a Britain which is no longer for the British.

Some will read this and consider it racist propaganda. An anti-Islamic rant which is set to divide communities and sow mistrust. However, it is no more racist than Tom Clancy's "Patriot Games" is racist towards the Irish. It is merely a novel written to make you think, to re-assess your own fears and hopes about a Britain that your children will live in, Alden has simply picked Militant Islam as the focus... got it !! Militant Islam !!! He portrays Islam the ideology and not Islam the faith (Yes, they are different!).

A fine novel, well structured and hard hitting. But don't take it seriously..... or should we ??

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 13 July 2014
V.G.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 19 Jun 2014
A fantastic book with a scary theme.
This could actually happen in any country in the world, as politics work in dodgy ways.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fiction or?, 14 Jun 2014
Having read Invasion and loved it I straight away bought Horse at the Gates. I half expected to be disappointed as 2nd books sometimes are, well no way I was again gripped by the story line the good weighting and although I knew it was just a work of fiction part of me has just a slight niggle that well you know given time.
I note there is a further book on the way - bring it on

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great read, 9 Jun 2014
One of those very rare books ive read twice. Simply grips you from the moment you start reading. Cant wait to read more by this great author

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I have read, 4 Jun 2014
Dave Arthur (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
In my mind an author has two jobs to do. The primary one is to entertain and there are many authors out there that do that part of the job very well.
The second, one that is much harder to do is to make a reader put a book down.
"Sorry .. what did you say .. I thought a good book was one you couldn't put down?"
WRONG WRONG WRONG.
If an author can get to your emotions with his/her writing whatever that emotion is... frustration, anger, joy, pleasure etc etc .. you will NEED to put the book down for a while until that sensation moves on.
I can honestly say that only two authors have left me in the position that I needed to put the book down to "calm down", one is Stephen King (not his "horror" books) and the other is DC Alden.
He did it with "Invasion" and he has succeeded again with "The Horse At The Gates".
I am not going to give any spoiler info all I will say is spend the small amount that Amazon is charging for the Kindle version of this and you will NOT regret it.
Actually I did regret one thing ............. coming to the end of it... I really hope there will be a follow up to this volume.

4.0 out of 5 stars Politics & intrigue., 2 Jun 2014
Well paced to start, with some interesting twists, but seemed to run out of steam at the end. Worth a read, though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yet another rivetting read from D.C.Alden, 11 Sep 2013
Having read and reviewed INVASION by D.C.Alden,I didn't hesitate when I saw THE HORSE AT THE GATES,available on Kindle.I purchased it immediately,and devoured it in one all night sitting.It really is that good!,and once again another warning to us all,of what may well happen in the near future.Now I wait with bated breath for Mr.Aldens next book,THE CHOSEN.Please let it be soon!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars UKIP nightmare, 4 Sep 2013
There's a plot by hardline Muslims to takeover the UK, impose a theocracy and Sharia law. Woolly liberals are too busy being politically correct to notice. Pretty well written, lots of zip, even if the politics don't merit thinking about too closely.
Why only four stars? There's the odd typo and some of it strains right to the edges of the believable. Most critically, what happened to the ending?

The Horse at the Gates
The Horse at the Gates by DC ALDEN (Paperback - 27 May 2011)
7.42