1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars Book Badger: Bloody Secrets, 12 Jan 2014
This review is from: Dirty Monsters: Bloody Secrets (Paperback)
I interviewed Jackie herself on my blog, Book Badger, the link to that is here: [...]

Bloody Secrets is the first sequel to a book I've read previously, and it didn't let me down whatsoever. Although it had been almost a year between reading Freaks Like Us and this sequel, I found it quite easy to fall back into the world Holt creates in Burfoots circus and I realised just how much I'd missed her wonderful characters.

Bloody Secrets takes place shortly after Freaks Like Us, and continues on with the plot twist she had created in the first of the series, however, it became apparent that while the subject dealt with was quite a strong player in the book, Holt had started to concentrate on the characters and their development much more in this book, and I really enjoyed getting to know and learning more about those intriguing 'freaks'. Learning more about the background of those characters and where they came makes relating to the characters feelings and emotions much much easier, and that was highlighted throughout my reading of Bloody Secrets. However, some of the strongest character developments for me personally were some of the smallest, for example, Hectors attempts to become less of a flirt and throw away and concentrate on how he spoke more, and Zachariah's' attitude change when Harvey started placing pressure on him. It was these little changes I feel that will make some of the biggest impacts on the overall series.

But once more, just like Freaks Like Us, I was most impressed by how well Holt covered the very difficult subject featured in Freaks Like Us. I knew that it'd be mentioned more in a more emotional sense, and I was nervous to see what exactly Holt would put Violet through in this installment, but she covered it brilliantly. Holt highlighted how emotionally affected Violet became due to Henry's actions, and how, even as a human cat, she still felt exactly how anyone would feel. She covered how the family of Burfoots was affected by the whole ordeal, especially the tension between Hector and Henry, and how Henry cared very little for what he had done to Violet.

Holts wonderful style of writing was back again for round two and it was once again beautifully written, reminding me of poems yet with so much more depth and care. She delved into how selfish some of the characters were, the sacrifices some made for secrets, she covered the aspect of betrayal and fear through friends and family, and once again, she and her cover designer wrapped a wonderful story in a stylish cover representative of some of the characters within. I loved this book, and after that cliff-hanger at the end, I'm so glad I received a copy of Lies and Lures off Jackie for Christmas; I don't know what I'd do without it.

Overall, I loved this book, but it couldn't quite put my finger on what it was that made me feel this didn't quite reach 5 stars. I'm really excited to read on in the Dirty Monsters series, and I look forward to how the secrets unfold in Lies and Lures.

4.5 Stars.

Dirty Monsters: Bloody Secrets
Dirty Monsters: Bloody Secrets by Jackie Trippier Holt (Paperback - 28 Feb 2013)
1.88