5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant
I thoroughlly enjoyed this book. It is full of information and continuously holds your attention.

It is well written, although I have to say I felt a bit bogged down at times when explaining how the European Royal family was related to the English one, with lots of names floating around.

This book gives a very detailed account of The Queen Mother,...
Published on 2 May 2012 by Mrs. A. L. Maddocks

3.0 out of 5 stars Light hearted rubbish!
I don't think many people are in doubt about the public versus the private image of the Queen Mother and I'm always interested in reading about this selfish and self-indulgent woman. Having said that I also recognise her coming from an era where royalty considered itself to have a sense of entitlement to our deference that is thankfully receding into history. I've read...
Published 1 day ago by M. Parry

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 2 May 2012
This review is from: The Untold Life of Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother (Hardcover)

This book gives a very detailed account of The Queen Mother, and I have to say she came across as a rather manipulative and very spitefull individual. Also this book casts a different slant to the run up and subsequent events after the abdication which I found fascinating. Her intereference into other peoples lives and the way she despatched them once they fell out of favour was staggering (even her own flesh and blood).

Certainly a book worth reading if you are interested in the Royal Family and its history.

Would certainly recommend, though beware this book is very heavy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lynn Barber in Sunday Times Magazine April 15 2012, 19 April 2012
(EMPRESS BIANCA) BY Campbell, Lady Colin(Author)Paperback Sep-2008To quote from Lynn Barber's article Palace Indiscretions in the Sunday Times Magazine for which she interviewed the author after reading her book on the Queen Mother:- "I am always a bit reluctant to dismiss Lady Colin's assertions since her Princess Diana book. In 1992 she published Diana in Private which said, among other things, that the princess suffered from bulimia, had had an affair with James Hewitt, and was at war with her husband. How ridiculous, the world chorused, and who was this frightful woman making these ludicrous claims? And then a few months later along came Andrew Morton making the same claims, and gradually the world learned that they were all true. And it was Lady Colin, not Morton, who first put them in print......Lady Colin's aristocratic gossip is always fascinating........I believe her; I admire her; buy her book." In this well-written and highly readable book there are more than 12 pages of Chapter Notes detailing her sources - the Royal Archives and the Glamis Archives feature quite prominently - as well as a couple of royal family trees which are always useful in a biography. I thought the long chapter on the Abdication, detailing the roles played by the Queen Mother and her ally the Archbishop of Canterbury, Cosmo Lang, to be particularly fascinating, as were the accounts of her dealings with her daughters and their governess and with their husbands in later life. I see that recently in America this book reached the New York Times Best Seller List....

5.0 out of 5 stars Exploding the Sweet Queen Mother Myth, 25 Jun 2012
A. Seymour "eagle.heroine" (Canterbury, Kent) - See all my reviews
I was instantly drawn to this title after reading a scathing and hostile review from an obvious believer in the Dear Old Queen Mum school, who was determined to believe that anything negative about her late majesty belonged in the realms of high sceptism and fantasy. Having long ago deduced from a wide variety of other sources that the public persona of Elizabeth Bowes Lyon/Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother was a very false one, Lady Colin Campbell's new and highly controversial biography in all it's fascinating and penetrative detail was a totally compelling, superbly written book that should for once and for all explode the sugarsweet image of a tough, ruthless, ambitious and vindictive lady.
Many will, doubtless, contend that the author's statements are unbelievable - but they not only ignore her excellent sources, but that truth is very often stranger than fiction.
Many books have been written about the late Queen Mother, but in my view Lady Colin Campbell has produced the definitive biography that strips its subject of the tinsel, hypocrisy and media hype - it is a real page turner. But if you are an uncritical Royal-lover, I'm afraid you'll hate it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic - I believe her every word, 31 May 2012
This is so good and so well researched - I expect most of us know most of this already - but I really enjoyed reading all the tittle tattle. Brilliant - very well written - Five Star

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing read, but why the shock horror?, 16 Feb 2013
Mrs. Margaret Little "Meg" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Following on a good deal of tantalising and half-clarified newspaper gossip, this book was finally published in April 2012 and seems to have had so little publicity that I myself discovered it only in October but my goodness, was it worth the wait!

In the first place it is grippingly written, with the speed - and, often, the heart-jumping unexpectedness - of a roller-coaster ride. In the second place, the quantity of material included is astonishing. In the third place (and here, I realise, I contradict some other reviewers) it appears to be well-referenced. The references are very often to such sources as private conversations or letters which would be unavailable to the general reader, but I have yet to hear of referees (or their families) who are coming forward to contradict them.

Some commentators are alleging this extraordinary work is a product of the author's imagination and all I can say is, if that is so, Lady Colin Campbell must be a second Dickens and a second Conan Doyle rolled into one. Nobody, but nobody, could have made this lot up.

I don't want to spoil later readers' pleasure in her book by detailing the surprises it contains. All I will say (and again, in contradiction of some other reviewers) is that nothing in this book, in any way at all, has reduced my loyalty to our Royal family. I admire them as much as I ever did but am conscious, now, of an extra dimension of human interest, affection and respect. Many other readers, surely, will feel as I do.

All honour to the Royals, all honour to the authoress - and my thanks to her for this wonderful roller-coaster of a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book of dreadful characters, so amusingly told, and with relish., 5 May 2013
Every page completely fascinating - C.Cambpbell's sources must be very sound - hilariously toxic, a book I enjoyed to distraction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very reader friendly and interesting., 2 May 2012
When I ordered this book, I must admit that I was worried I wouldn't be able to follow the contents as I'm not an avid Royal watcher. However, the author does a stunning job at putting all of her claims into context of the time they took place in and backs them up her reasons why she believes these claims to be true.

Of course parts are only gossip so should be taken with a pinch of salt, and I think these parts are pretty clear to the reader. However, it was fascinating to learn of the personality of the Queen Mother and the relationships she had with her friends and family, which I believe to be pretty factual.

Was a breath of fresh air to read a biography that is written from an objective point of view, and didn't just give the reader a glance at a life through rose tinted glasses (which many Queen Mother Bio's do).

Great, easy, fun read with some fab pictures added in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Untold Life, 27 Sep 2012
A. Pilling "A Pilling" (York, UK) - See all my reviews
A scurrilous bit of fun, no doubt most of it true. Well written and hard to put down. I really enjoyed it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Turning the Royal Family upside down!, 14 Jun 2012
The Untold Life of Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, is an astonishing book. It steals behind the smile and the sweetness of the matriarch, and reveals a glint of true steel and determination. The hard copy is heavy to read in bed. Wished I'd waited for the paperback, but the Diana book was so revealing, I just had to find out more.
It is very well sourced, and although it seems almost unbelievable at times, there is so much back up and similarity, that I found it really compelling.
It delves into the machinations of the aristocracy, its fight for power and snobbery. It shows how a king can be felled by the jealousy of one woman determined and ruthless enough to employ every weapon in her arsenal, and it makes you realise how decent and forthright our current monarch is. Intriguing and fascinating, this book is full of names and titles which get confusing after a while, but definitely a good read....

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting, 20 Aug 2013
What a read, a real eye opener, was recommended this book by a friend, she said read it you will be really surprised,
She wasn't wrong, , have recommended it to a few friends

The Untold Life of Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother
The Untold Life of Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother by Lady Colin Campbell (Hardcover - 23 April 2012)