5.0 out of 5 stars great business reading... even when on holidays, 5 July 2011
This review is from: Love Presenting Hate (badly used) Powerpoint (Paperback)
I borrowed this book from a colleague at work and decided to take it with me on holidays. Yes on my holidays... as although it is a business book, I thought it was the perfect lenght and would be a pleasant reading. Besides I know the author is a well renowned trainer, speaker, teacher so I was keen to find out what he had to say about presenting and the use of power point. The few times I presented I have been over reliant on power point and thought there was no way around it even though my favorite speaker, presenter make little (if any at all) use of this tool. This book has opened my eyes to the alternatives to power point without fully overlooking it. It was quite interesting to learn what can influence the outcome of a presentation such as room set up, etc. I loved the 7 steps suggested to structure a presentation and I will certainly make note of them next time I need to put something together. I am looking forward to exploring other books from this author as they seem to be the right length, with great content (real biz tips) and to the point- the message sticks.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real help with presentations, 9 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Love Presenting Hate (badly used) Powerpoint (Paperback)
I really needed practical help with a presentation. I had got into such a state that I felt frozen - didn't know how to proceed beyond shuffling a set of Powerpoint slides backwards and forwards in the hope that a presentation would magically form from thin air. I didn't honestly think that a book could help me, but I thought I would give it a try and I'm so glad I did. This book is so simple to follow, and written in such a way that it almost feels as if the author is in the room coaching you and giving advice. Each step is easy enough to achieve on its own, so that as you move through the book you grow in confidence. Practical advice like how to organise the space in the room, and simple - and maybe obvious - tips, like where to stand, and how to get the attention of the audience really help you to feel that you can be in control of your presentation. Then the help with structuring the presentation (story boarding) and engaging the audience's attention (story telling) allow you to begin to build something that could be pretty powerful. By this stage I was getting quite excited and enthusiastic about the forthcoming presentation. I stopped fearing it, and actually started looking forward to it. There's even very useful advice towards the end on how to use Powerpoint - if you have to - properly, to enhance the presentation, rather than to bog it down.
This is quite the most useful advice I have ever received on how to present effectively, and it has already made me a far better and more confident speaker than I was before.

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll keep coming back to this book, 2 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Love Presenting Hate (badly used) Powerpoint (Paperback)
I'm pursuing a career in presentation design and delivery, hence I have a fairly large collection of presentation, storytelling and design books. I can honestly say that Nicholas's book easily makes my top 3 list.

The main reason you'll want to read and re-read this book is that it covers the most important aspect of giving exciting and powerful presentations: namely it covers the basics in a professional manner. Nicholas leads you through the most important points like a thoughtful mentor and you get the feeling that he really is passionate about you making progress and internalize the most important presentation aspects, so that they become second nature.

If you are delivering presentations at work or in school or anywhere, and you want to become a more exciting and effective presenter and storyteller, buy this book, period.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Presenting. Love the book, 16 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Love Presenting Hate (badly used) Powerpoint (Paperback)
If you have ever read a book of Nicholas Bate before, you will know exactly what to expect: a very substantive, straightforward, edgy and at times extremely funny business book. Nicholas gives you practical advice on how you can successfully create a PowerPoint presentation and combines this with some hilarious examples. It helps you to make a stunning impression on your audience. I used some of the advice in my latest presentation and although I already have some experience with presenting, I could see the difference: more confident, better planned and structured, thus a better presentation with great feedback.
If you have never read a book of Nicholas Bate before: Start T O D A Y. It will change your life. Definitely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific, 23 Sept. 2011
Mark Polino (Altamonte Springs, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love Presenting Hate (badly used) Powerpoint (Paperback)
Fantastic short book on presenting. I've done tons of presentations and this book is full of great advice. It's short enough to be useful for that big presentation you've got coming up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical help with giving powerful presentations, 1 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Love Presenting Hate (badly used) Powerpoint (Paperback)
Everyone you speak to knows that badly used Powerpoint leads to the dreariest of presentations, and yet there are many people who cling on to it because they see no alternative. So - does the world need another book on presentation skills? Yes, if it really does address the issue of what to do about Powerpoint and gives really practical and helpful advice on the alternatives. This book absolutely does do that. The author is a practised and powerful speaker himself, but more than that he is a consumate teacher and he knows how to give exactly the guidance that will help both the terrified novice and those of us who have lost our spark. Love Presenting doesn't ignore Powerpoint, but puts it in its place and teaches all the skills needed to give a brilliant presentation with or without it. The book takes a step by step approach, each section easily digestible with specific suggestions to follow. I love all the wry cartoons, the 'pop-up' list and the handy tips - this is the one essential handbook for anyone who needs help improving their presentations. The perfect length and style - I really recommend it. I'll be buying a few for colleagues.........

Love Presenting Hate (badly used) Powerpoint
Love Presenting Hate (badly used) Powerpoint by Nicholas Bate (Paperback - 12 May 2011)