5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book

Published on 26 Dec 2011 by Alxran

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 2 Dec 2011
Badger O Stripey One (Londonistan, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Radio Times Guide to Films 2012 (Paperback)
My first time with the RT guide and it is now the first book I consult on any film I'm interested in. Only after that do I read further in any of the dozen or so other books I have, like 'Foreign Affairs' or 'A Century of Films' should I need to know more. The Time Out reviews seem to be exercises in how clever the reviewers are and irritate me, which is why I haven't bought one for years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Radio Times Guide to Films, The Best Available, 6 Dec 2011
This review is from: Radio Times Guide to Films 2012 (Paperback)
The best and heaviest guide to films. Has good cast lists for sorting out those "Who is that" questions. Ideal for checking out obscure films on late night television.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most comprehensive available, 22 Nov 2011
M. Davies "ritester" (Brussels) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Radio Times Guide to Films 2012 (Paperback)
With Time Out 2012 overdue or possibly stillborn I'll have to rely on this weighty brick for many facts and some opinions. The reviews are more mainstream and less esoteric than Time Out's but to have this at your fingertips when IMDB is down will always be a source of comfort. I tend to replace it less frequently (every 4 or 5 years)
than the Time Out which has a much better foreign coverage, but it's still way better than Leonard Maltin.
And it doubles as a doorstop.

5.0 out of 5 stars how to really please an old friend, 28 Oct 2011
This review is from: Radio Times Guide to Films 2012 (Paperback)
I bought this book as a present for a friend, having enjoyed my own copy since last Christmas. She was as delighted with it as I hoped she would be. A great gift for those of us who have loved films since the 1940's, such a lot of information is contained within its pages.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a good book, 26 Dec 2011
This review is from: Radio Times Guide to Films 2012 (Paperback)
My brother got this book for Christmas and was eager to read it and check out the reviews. My brothers and I are big film fans, and were extremely disappointed with the content of the book. The reviews don't seem to match the ratings most of the time, and great films (which are often rated 4 or 5 stars) are reduced to only 2 or 3 despite receiving praise from the same review. For example, "The Dark Knight" and "Life is Beautiful" are apparently on par with all 3 "High School Musical" films, and "Muppets from Space" is as good as "Saving Private Ryan". Worse still, all these films are given worse ratings than "Bridesmaids", which received the Highest Rating along with classics such as "Citizen Kane" and "Casablanca". These are not one-offs, but rather examples of the trend of bad reviews throughout the length of the book. Any cinema enthusiast would do well stay clear of this. It's just a shame Halliwell's no longer produce their excellent yearly film guide.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive!, 17 Jan 2012
Tony Burke (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Radio Times Guide to Films 2012 (Paperback)
This is a a very detailed and comprehensive guide to film releases new and old. From who directed to who made the tea. All facts included. Just make sure to bend knees when lifting..

5.0 out of 5 stars BIGGER & BETTER, AWESOMELY SO, 11 Jan 2012
Mr. D. L. Rees "LEE DAVID" (DORSET) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Radio Times Guide to Films 2012 (Paperback)
Film buffs may well drool, here veritable treasure trove. The 1664 pages contain over 2300 reviews - complete with pithy summaries and assessments, main cast (and characters played), awards, DVD availability. Especially helpful are the lists of directors and actors at the end. If a film title eludes but one of its actors known, simply look up his or her details to find what you want.

Facts are facts, this collection crammed to capacity. Opinions, though, differ and forever evolve. A family may be passionately divided about the merits of a film. Critics often are every time a new one comes out. Inevitably any star rating system causes controversy - nods of approval, snorts of derision. No problem surely? Here is a chance to personalize your copy, adding or deleting stars as you see fit. (Be careful what you use, for the pages are thin.)

Admittedly the small print discourages lengthy browsing, but for weeks I have been contentedly consulting - finding much to absorb, to admire and occasionally to provoke.

An ambitious, invaluable guide. Warmly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very happy customer, 27 Nov 2011
Mr. James R. Gilmour (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Radio Times Guide to Films 2012 (Paperback)
This is the first purchase I have made of this guide and I find it superb and very comprehensive much more so than others I have purchased and I was very pleased with the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting book !, 31 Dec 2011
This review is from: Radio Times Guide to Films 2012 (Paperback)
this was a christmas present for my husband. Already hehas used it and pleased that he can find most tof the information he wants. The book arrived quickly. Good value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars The movie lover's Bible., 14 Oct 2011
This review is from: Radio Times Guide to Films 2012 (Paperback)
This is an annual publication, and we last had the 2008 edition, It was time to update, and though we try to support our local bookseller, the low price offered by Amazon was too tempting.
As usual, our purchase was delivered promptly, so now we have immediate access to brief reviews of thousands of films - extremely useful for us as users of Lovefilm.

Radio Times Guide to Films 2012
Radio Times Guide to Films 2012 by VARIOUS (Paperback - 26 Sep 2011)
Used & New from: 4.47