5.0 out of 5 stars Nosh 4 Students Cook Book
I purchased this book for my son last year when he went to University. It gives you ideas on a menu for the week and tells you what ingredients you need to buy. It puts recipes together so that you can buy larger quantities of ingredients (often cheaper)and also so that there is less waste. All the recipes are for 1 or 2 people and very easy to follow. My son never used...
Published on 5 Jun 2009 by S. Askill

3.0 out of 5 stars Nosh 4 Students
I bought this for my son when he started university It wasnt quite in his line as he prefers meat and two veg type meals but it would be great for someone with limited cookery experience and there are plenty of different recipes to have a go at
Published on 6 Mar 2010 by Julie Beardmore

‹ Previous | 1 2 322 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars easy, cheap and fun cooking, 25 Sep 2010
Good points:

~ Brilliantly appealing photos of every dish.
~ easy to tell how hard the dish is to make.
~ vegetarian options for most meals
~ extremely helpful sample menu and shopping lists, very handy for those living alone for the first time.
~ Useful tips at the start of the book before the recipies.

Bad Points:

~ Could not find mango pulp anywhere in my local supermarket (as the book said you could), and the book didnt have details on how to prepare this but it was very easy to find online: Just peel and blend a mango with a little water.

Review:

I recieved this book one year as a christmas present from an aunt. I didnt really have enough money in my first year of uni to be able to experiment with food, because my car broke-down every five minutes. But in my second year I started to try a few of the recipies from this book, and it made a massive difference to my diet.

The recipies are easy to follow, and the good quality colour pictures (of every recipe) really helped me decide which ones I fancied making.

There are sections at the start of the book about how long things can be stored for, cooking times for different vegetables,how to cook pasta, how to cook rice, and other handy advice (like 'wash up now and then!'). This book is also extremely good for vegetarians, as lots of the recipes have vegetarian option.

Also, if you are running out of money, vegetarian option is usually chraper than buying meat, and just as tasty!

Conclusion:

Makes a very good present for someone living away from home for the first time.

5.0 out of 5 stars More than met my expectations!, 7 Mar 2010
First of all, i would like to say to all those who are mocking the photography and general layout of the book to get a grip - this isn't a gourmet cookbook and considering its price i don't know how people can expect more. As long as there are pictures to give you a basic idea of how the dish should look why does it matter? I in fact think the quality is rather good - so those who think otherwise, stop being so snobbish!

Secondly, before i bought this book i scarcely knew how to cook meet and prepare vegetables and pasta etc. properly. Nosh 4 students covers all of this although a section on the general cooking times for meat would be helpful, especially as this is where so many people go wrong. I like the fact i don't have to use any measuring equipment and that the recipes are generally nutritious, quick and simple. The more friendly and tried-and-tested touch is definately another appealing aspect as anything stuck up and impersonal just doesn't do it for me. What i would say after cooking more than 5 of the dishes from the book after only having it about a week is that the preperation times are a little off and take much longer to begin with, so if your at placements or live off campus think twice about how much time you'll need to actually cook each meal. Other than that im so pleased i bought this and i would recommend it to anyone with little ability and who doesn't want to spend too much. If your stuck for choice on here, go for this one - you won't be dissapointed. Promise.

5.0 out of 5 stars very fussy eater, 21 April 2010
i am starting uni in september and was looking for a decent student cookbook that wouldnt take hours to cook the food and create tons of pots and pans, but that would suit my very fussy taste in food (no veg, not much fruit,like some foods but not how its cooked - i.e like potatoes but hate them mashed, strange things like that, etc). my mum even has trouble finding foods that i will eat sometimes.

after reading other peoples reviews on this book and having a "look inside" at the index of recipes i decided that this book might finally have food in it that i would eat. a lot of the books i found contained 100s of recipes but i would only eat about 7 of them, so didnt seem worth the money.

it arrived today and i am VERY impressed with it. not tried any recipes in it yet but from reading through it i have found over half the recipes (i counted about 70 of them) i would definately try and most of the others i would give them a go (with the exception of the salads and some of the vegetarian things) but if i can find plenty of recipes from a book to eat then it is a pretty amazing book (my mum was also so impressed with it she has said she might even think about buying it). all in all i would definately recommend it to other people, even the fussiest of eaters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential starter book for all students, 3 Feb 2010
Mr. Bc Leadbetter "Ben" (Cumbria, UK) - See all my reviews
This book is absolutely amazing. I started university not being able to cook and now I cook shepards pie, curry and full roast dinners just a year afterwards. The recipes are healthy and very easy to follow producing great results. Pictures in the book help the reader understand what the meal should look like and no knowledge is assumed. The book also starts at the very basics describing things like what each type of spoon looks like, labelling essential products to have in your cupboard for cooking etc.

If you are a student you should buy this book if you have to cook for yourself and are worried about it because it is great. If your child is starting uni please buy them this book because I really do not know how I would have got through uni without it. Many people eat pot noodles and pasta all the time, with this book weekly shopping lists are already made in the book telling you what you need each week, for upto 6 or so weeks.

Well presented and great recipes ensure this book will be essential for any student.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic first cook book!, 11 Jan 2010
Rachel V. Armstrong (UK) - See all my reviews
As a student who is a self confessed cookery dummy i found this book to be extremely useful. Not only does it take you through the basics of cooking e.g. how to bake potatoes etc. it provides simple, easy to follow recipes which provide some fantastic results. Its fun, easy to use, interesting and even my MUM uses it... not just a recipe for students!
A must buy and a bargain price, well worth the money!

3.0 out of 5 stars Nosh 4 Students, 6 Mar 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for students!!!, 31 Jan 2009
This is a great book full of quick, easy recipes on a budget & using ingredients you probably already have. I learnt how to cook quick & tasty sunday lunch for my family from this book(I'm a mum of two but have never had to cook for more than two until I had my kids). I have cooked it for my parents and mum even asked me how I made the roast potatoes! (She has made hers the old fashioned way for 50 years and couldn't believe how easy my way was). I never thought I'd see the day I could teach mum how to cook! Thank you Joy May!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great going away gift!, 13 Sep 2009
G. Ryan (Watford, England) - See all my reviews
If you know someone who is off to uni this is a great gift! Written with students with limited cooking experience in mind this book is fantastic! No weighing scales or measuring jugs required, just mugs, teaspoons and pint glasses (general student kitchenware!) Each recipe is clearly illustrated with a true to life picture, no image tarting up either! Although the front cover may look a bit tacky, this book is perfect for uni students and provides brilliant budget recipes that will stop your loved ones from starving at uni!

4.0 out of 5 stars Mum says..., 29 Dec 2009
L. Ireland (UK) - See all my reviews
If it can get my daughter, who says she DOES NOT COOK, having a go, it has to be doing something right! The format is simple enough for a complete novice to feel they can have a go and provides enough variety for a picky eater to find something they want to try. Not the most glamorous looking recipe book but a good buy all the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb book for inexperienced students!, 14 April 2009
Lesley Duncan (Ayrshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Nosh 4 Students: A Fun Student Cookbook. See every recipe in FULL COLOUR. 50% more recipes than its previous Best Selling Edition.
I bought this cookbook for my son who is about to start university in self catered accommodation and both of us think it will be invaluable to him in the coming months. The recipes are simple and well-explained and it helps the novice cook to see a coloured illustration of each finished dish. I also thought it was user-friendly with star ratings used to say how difficult each dish is to make. No unusual gadget, utensil or equipment is necessary and most of the recipes use basic and popular ingredients that a typical student can afford to buy. I will definately buy a few more as gifts for friends' sons and daughters - excellent value!

‹ Previous | 1 2 322 | Next ›