Format: Hardcover|Change

on 28 April 2016
We are a family of 3 adults (17 year old boys count as adults when it comes to food portions I find). I bought this book after seeing it st a friends and drooling over the pictures.

We have used this book nearly every day for two weeks now, everything has been great. We have had the courgette fritters and the sticky barbecue chicken several times ( the fennel salad with the chicken is amazing, how did I live this long and never eat fennel?!) the beef and tomato rice is gorgeous and the one pan chicken korma went down really well even with the spinach.

The instructions are clear and timings are pretty much spot on. We particularly like the way that the steps for the accompaniments are included within the main recipe so you don't get to the point your chicken has ten minutes to go and realise that you need half an hour for your sides, everything is ready together.

If you can't cook this book is a great place to start, if like us you can and do cook this book puts some new twists on everyday food like mince and freshens up your repertoire.
on 27 November 2012
I highly recommend this latest book from Joy May. Great menus, great tips, and tested by real people. What more could you want for a busy family . . .
on 24 November 2014
I can't cook and up until now, didn't cook because I didn't enjoy it at all. Having two small children and wanting to start cooking from scratch but not having much time or skill, I bought this book. It's brilliant. The recipes are varied with some old favourites as well as things I've never tried/heard of before. It holds your hand through any slightly tricky bits.

It's easy to cook with this book. I now want to cook and make dinner from scratch most nights. I recommend this to busy mums who want to give the family good, home cooked meals without too much fuss. If you are already a good cook or like to produce fancy dishes, this probably isn't for you. If you're keen, short on time and want to make tasty dishes for the family, this is the book for you.
on 28 May 2014
I am, in complete honesty, a useless and lazy cook - pasta and a microwave are my usual staples in the kitchen! I bought this book because it appeared to have simple, clear and achievable recipes. In reality, it totally does! It was time that I started cooking some decent meals for both myself and my daughter (and not rely on my foodie and cooking loving husband!) and this book has surpassed my expectations by being very easy to follow and all the recipes that I have tried so far were tasty and my daughter really enjoyed them I am actually enjoyed making them! I think this book really does make it simple for someone like me, to whom cooking is a low priority, even to helping me know what staples I need to keep in my cupboard in order to be able to make the recipes without frequent ingredient hunts at the supermarket.
I am looking forward to attempting more of the recipes soon! A must buy for anyone who wants to cook well for their children and needs a little straightforward guidance.
on 21 October 2012
Once again the Nosh guys have produced a brilliant cook book. Easy to follow, quick yet high quality meals! The cooked meals actually look like the photo's suggests they should! I have all the Nosh books and I can say I have yet to be disappointed. This is a great Christmas present for friends and family.
on 28 March 2013
WOW! This was my first reaction to this book.
First.....this book is bigger than I thought and hardback which I didn't expect.
The Book.....layout is fantastic, colour pictures on just about every page.
Recipes.....the first book I have bought which I can honestly say with ALL recipes using basic ingredients, practical for families. AND..... not one that I would not use.
Four weeks of menu planning.....including shopping lists!
What more would a busy mum want?

Thanks for a wonderfully set out, colourful and interesting book.
Highly, highly recommend.
on 10 December 2012
I bought this book because it was recommended to me by some of the families who tested the recipes before it went to print! The book is really easy to use, simple and clear. Very helpful showing the costing per portion. We are gradually working our way through each recipe and haven't found one that we don't like!!!!!
This New cookbook from Joy May and the NOSH BOOKS team is truly Fantastic.
We really enjoy the practical info and scrummy recipes in this beautifully crafted book.
Not every cook book is so down to earth or has such details eg how to get kids to eat, shopping lists and approx costs of meals
All add up to make this an excellent resource for real families.
It shows enough detail for each recipe and is illustrated very well.
The book design is stunning and the value for money is good.
We have no hesitation in recommending this book for any family, we have four kids, who love it
Our boys really like Desperate Dan's Cow Pie :-)
Also this is a great Christmas Gift idea for anyone.
on 29 December 2012
Fantastic all round cook book and Kitchen aid. Not only are the recipes great and easy to follow, but the shopping lists and Menus are brilliant for me, saving time when I don't have the energy (or inclination)to plan the week's meals. I have found that using it for a few weeks has povided me with inspiration and to use variations on things that the children love, but are a bit tired - like the beef ragu in place of spag bol. the Banana nut muffins are also a hit with the childen and me - I couldn't recommend this book more!
on 26 April 2016
I'm a fan of the Nosh series. I started with Nosh for Students when I went to university, and now that I am expecting, I picked up Nosh for Busy Mums and Dads. Like the Student book, this book requires minimum ingredients and kitchen essentials. It includes whether recipes are suitable for freezing, and estimated cost per portion. It is excellent for cheap and concise recipes that do not require you to own half of Sainsbury to whip up a meal and they're really tasty.

My one qualm is that if you have fussy kids (or a fussy fiance) some of the recipes will need tweaking. Lots include pine nuts or apples or other slightly "out there" ingredients which I am having to exclude.

Otherwise I would recommend this book to anyone with hungry mouths to feed on a budget and a time scale!