5.0 out of 5 stars just do it, 30 Dec 2010
This review is from: The Network Effect (Paperback)
this book combines many useful practical ideas of how to make networking effective AND it shows how you can put it all into practice. We all tend to think we are good at this stuff, but we need more than a nudge to get going consistently. Full of encouragement, this is the book you need to make it happen for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple & Straight Forward, 18 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Network Effect (Paperback)
Many books talk about the theory of certain subjects, but the Network Effect brings theory to life with plenty of examples and exercises for you to hone your networking skills. Some of the exercises serve as good practise reminders whilst others open new ways of working to ensure you effectively develop your networking skills. I have already changed my approach to storing new contacts details and follow up after meeting key people, realising it is far better to receive a business card than it is to give one. The book itself is a very easy read, which makes the hard part of putting actions into practise much less daunting then it could otherwise be. The difficult element is now finding time to put all that I have learnt into practise!

5.0 out of 5 stars I was a networker before I knew it!, 14 July 2011
This review is from: The Network Effect (Paperback)
I did an amazing discovery through this book. I never really thought of myself as a great networker because I'm not a very sociable person and find it difficult to talk to people I don't know. This book however explained that there are lots of other things that a good networker needs to do. A lot of those other things I've always been rather good at. I've always tried to link people, stay in contact with old classmates, find out if X knows Y, send people interesting articles in de post (pre email), made tapes for people (pre iPod) and so on. I just never knew that a)these are very normal things to do and b)they are in fact good networking practise. So I bought the book because I thought I wasn't good at networking and it turns out I actually am, now isn't that great! The tips on how to improve my social skills and how to talk to people I don't know are also excellent and during my last business trip (by this time you must be thinking that the authors are paying me to write this ;-) I struck up a conversation with the guy next to me on the plane and ended up swapping business cards. Now this may not sound like a big achievement to you but it was for me believe me.
I'd say: best book on the subject hands down.
And regarding the subject: networking is not (only) about 'working the room', 'being extrovert' or 'being sociable'!

5.0 out of 5 stars Something for everyone, 20 Dec 2010
This review is from: The Network Effect (Paperback)
An excellent roundup of proven techniques for effective networking. Includes plenty of useful tips and is well backed-up with examples. Perfect for those who are entering the workplace and invaluable revision for experienced networkers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Reading, 17 Dec 2010
Dr. P. A. Tissington "Doctor T" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Network Effect (Paperback)
As with so many aspects of business life, most of us muddle through somehow using tit bits of knowledge combined with experience. Networking is the sort of thing we know we should do but most of us don't go about it in a systematic way. We think it has something to do with giving out business cards or going to breakfast networking sessions but we are never quite sure what we are supposed to do. This book simply shows you how it is done. I am enormously impressed by the range of examples and also the depth of research which has gone in to it. It is an easy read but you will end up knowing exactly how to "do networking". Fabulous!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for networking organizers & attendees, 13 April 2012
L. Rubenstein (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Network Effect (Paperback)
Excellent content and style - so easy to read and take in. The book includes case-studies to illustrate lessons learnt and points made. I run an information business networking group in NW London and use the book to help create ice-breaker exercises to kick-off our events. I also use the book as a refresher to keep my networking skills at their best. A favourite tip from the book was to talk to strangers - that tip got me talking to someone on the tube which led to a business lead! A must-read for networkers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for independent consultants, 24 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Network Effect (Paperback)
I am an independent HR/OD consultant and have been free lance for over 5 years. I wish I had read this book 5 years ago! It is full of practical methods for networking which are sensible and actually work! The advice is down to earth with some good case studies included and is informative. It reminds us that
LinkedIn is only a tiny part of networking. In my work as an Executive Coach I have been recommending this book to clients. A good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even if you already network - read this book, 1 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Network Effect (Paperback)
Even as an experienced networker, I found this practical guide readable and very helpful - it reinforced my confidence, explained why some approaches work better than others and helped me to focus on making the most out of conferences and meetings. Like many people I tend to gravitate towards old friends and familiar faces - which is a good way of keeping up to date. This book reminded me about the importance of also making new contacts, and most importantly following them up afterwards. The Network Effect was nicely written, full of anecdotes (and some research) and presented in short, easily digested chapters that I could read on the train during my daily commute. - Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 30 May 2012
This review is from: The Network Effect (Paperback)
This book was a pleasure to read. The authors build on the case studies seamlessly and you can feel that they made a lot of research to back up their claims. The book can help you to understand how the "network effect" works and take advantage of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job nicely!, 16 Jan 2011
H. Ratner (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Network Effect (Paperback)
I thought this book was very informative, well presented, pleasing to look at and entertaining to read. I like it when people give concrete examples of what they are talking about, and so it was good to see so many case examples. The book addresses all the situations that bedevil networking, and gives loads of useful tips for dealing with tricky situations.

The Network Effect
The Network Effect by Judith Perle (Paperback - 17 Jan 2011)
7.69