Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 September 2011
I read Tim Rowes book and then flew to Ireland and went on one of his day courses which was brilliant! I am a fairly new beekeeper and out of all the books I've read this was the one that I liked best. It's a very well written and accessible book useful for beginners or experienced beekeepers.
Tim has over thirty years of beekeeping experience and he uses Rose Hives which are a little bit similar to National Hives but they have one size of box and frames throughout, (rather than the brood, super arrangement), and are used without a queen excluder. There are numerous advantages to this way of keeping bees which he describes better than i can here!
Tim's ideas and methods are well explained and interesting and very worth reading.
on 13 November 2010
A really clear and sensible book that looks at mainstream beekeeping and all that's wrong with it. Eye-opening stuff. Tim explains how to do things differently for healthier bees. I was working towards this view anyway, but now I'm 100% convinced. I wish I'd written this - but he got there first and fair play to him. Definitely recommend everyone reads this - even if you're just starting out or if you've been keeping bees for years like me. Nice clear drawings too.
on 9 January 2011
Well worth buying! The author, who teaches beekeeping in Ireland, has written an inviting and informative book based on his decades of care of honeybees. His experiments with hive design led to a new kind of hive for his own bees, and the book explains why this improved layout can help keep everyone's bees healthier, wherever they live. Every change he made from conventional beehive structures has a reason, and the author goes back to the way bees behave in the wild to explain how beekeepers can help rather than hinder their ability to thrive. A keen observer, it's clear that the author has taken the time to understand what bees really need. I enjoyed this book even though I don't keep bees. It may be addressed to beekeepers and contain plans to build hives, but it has so much more, in history, observation, essay and story, that it's a cover-to-cover read, fascinating enough for every reader.
on 23 May 2013
We met a very kind chap who was willing to share his methods with us, he advised us to buy this book. There are a few spelling mistakes (it could have done with closer proofreading), but the theory is great, our bees are doing better this year than they have the last few years - even with the awful British summer.
on 17 October 2010
This is a must-read for anybody interested in bees - whether they keep their own hives or not. The author's new method is very interesting and worth learning about. Even if you don't want to change your method of how you keep your bees, I recommend this book just to broaden your mind around bees and beekeeping. It is about time we looked at beekeeping in a new way. A very enjoyable read.
on 20 February 2012
I admit I'm fairly new to beekeeping, but this book is so simple and straightforward it is for anyone who's interested in beekeeping in a more natural way. I'm going to try it for sure, in the meantime, you MUST read this book before you start beekeeping the usual way. PLEASE!
I came to it after reading his children's beekeeping book - another must-read BTW - both books really are inspiring - and fun to read too.
on 28 March 2011
Fab Book from Tim Rowe.Tim takes a different approach to Beekeeping which is becoming more popular.Details of the Rose Hive are on his website.
on 16 February 2012
This is a lovely well balanced well thought out book for people looking into beekeeping from an alternative perspective to the conventional approach of the beekeepers association etc. It offers a kinder way to be with bees as well as plans for this type of hive. Seemed pricey but was worth it and I have bought another copy for a friend.
on 30 January 2012
This is not a long or difficult book, but it does challenge conventional bee-keeping thought in almost every aspect. Even if you disagree with some of the conclusions, you can't challenge the questions. I strongly recommend this book. The Rose Hive Method: Challenging Conventional Beekeeping
on 8 July 2014
Ok. I'd read a bit on web pages/youtube and hoping for more substance in book but not sure there is much more here than you can find on the web. I'd like particularly (as a newbie) it spelt out how his system differs from current or standard beekeeping methodologies. Emphasis is on using his hive design (perhaps even promoted too much). I'd like some comparison on using it with more traditional hive components i.e. national supers. This would then really state that the rose hive is a method and not just a hive type. Its not uncommon to use a 'singe box size' hive, so not sure what the advantage is on using his slightly larger box sizes, especially if you already have hives.