Format: Hardcover|Change

on 22 December 2011
Without doubt 'Rose Petal Jam' is the most beautiful and seductive books on Poland of recent years. The title describes the type of jam lying in wait at the centre of the delicious Polish doghnuts known as 'paczki'.

The recipes, nostalgic reminiscences, rich writing and eloquent photography make this the perfect book to overturn all the silly grey misconceptions people have of this wonderful and picturesque country. The recipes are authentically Polish and not simply vaguely 'remembered' after long exile abroad. The authors travelled the length and breadth of the country gathering material and photographing the glorious summer landscapes. The still transitional present is leavened with some lovely period and family photographs.

Of course at Christmas time the importance of the Polish family is ever-present - a force that holds this society together with affection and love. The apalling history of loss meant the family was often the sole refuge from oppression. Here in Poland the family at Christmas is to be warmly embraced not fled in anguish.

The photography is superb and the large format book production is substantial and of the finest quality on soft, matt paper(the dust cover is in embossed 'lace') with a silk marker ribbon. I can think of no finer gift this Christmas or New Year for anyone that has the faintest connection with Poland.

By the way, I should know as I have written a published book on the country myself, live in Warsaw and am in no doubt as to the high qualities and authenticity of this infectiously lyrical book. I cannot wait for the other three volumes to come covering Winter, Spring and Autumn.

No I have never met the authors for the cynics among you...Just love the book and realise how much discriminating work, travel and thought that must have gone into it!
on 10 May 2011
I bought this book for a Polish friend but before giving it to her of course I read it (& showed it to other friends!) it is the most beautiful book, full of memories and emotions. The recipes are delicious, photographed so well you can almost taste the food. I have never been to Poland so it is also a travel guide, showing an unknown land.
Some books just have to be 'owned'- I shall shortly be ordering my own copy!
Congratulations to Beata.
on 26 February 2012
I heard an interview on Radio 4 that described this book and since my daughter was about to marry a young man from Poland I made a mental note. Some few month later I visited Poland (Wroclaw) and thought I must get that book. So I got one for my daughter. Then I had to get another because we loved the book so much that we wanted one of our own. Just a lovely gentle book, wonderful pictures, moving at times and with recipes that cry out "try me".
on 22 April 2011
I have LOTS of books including cookery, travel, art, memoir. This one combines all of these - it can only be said - exquisitely!I went to Poland for a few days last year and loved it. This book reminds me that I have to go back and travel the whole of the country, not just Silesia.
The book is a feast for the eyes, and a treat for any soul that appreciates beauty; it is a joy.
Can't wait for the next one in the series. In the meantime, I shall try out some of the mouthwatering recipes.
on 5 July 2011
This is a book to read slowly, to sink into beautiful photography, to use over and over again: the recipes are simple and healthy (usually) and there's plenty of opportunity to learn the odd word of Polish. I love this book and I'm looking forward to the next one from Tabula Books. Recommended!
on 7 December 2011
As an avid baker who is married to a Pole, this book has been a god send!

For years, we have stumbled through badly written Polish cookbooks (if you could call them that!) trying to recreate recipes and dishes from my husband's childhood. So many Polish cookbooks are indescribably difficult to understand, contain ingredients which do not exist in Australia or do not adequately capture a modern twist on traditional Polish cooking.

Not this cookbook!

I cannot rave highly enough about it!

The author is resident in Australia - a big plus for us, as we are also in Australia. The measurements and methods make sense to us and describe in simple terms how to make these traditional Polish dishes.

The author also grew up about 80 kilometres from my husband's home town in Poland, so the recipes authentically reflect the cuisine he grew up with and recreate those dishes with modern ingredients.

The memoirs of the author interspersed throughout the cookbook are beautiful, touching, interesting and often bring back to my husband's mind events, characters and experiences he had long forgotten.

I cannot rate this book highly enough for anyone interested in Polish cuisine - you will not find a more authentic and accurate collection of recipes that you can recreate outside of Poland and impress your local Polish relatives!

I cannot wait for the next three cookbooks in the series! Bring them out soon please!
on 1 November 2011
This is such a beautifully written and evocative book blending history, travel and personal memoir with some of the most delicious recipes in Polish cuisine, and featuring some stunning photography. I originally bought it as a gift but, after flicking through it before wrapping it up, I have also bought myself a copy, I loved it so much! Can't wait for the promised Winter follow-up...
on 4 June 2011
This is a big, beautiful book, lavishly illustrated and full of childhood reminiscences of a Polish childhood.The layout is good with short stories interspersed with recipes. Worth every penny, a book to keep and treasure, even for those with no Polish connections.
on 14 September 2011
Charming book and beautiful photographs but recipes often poorly written with ingredients mentioned in the directions that are left out of the list of ingredients and quantities.
on 14 July 2014
A truly beautiful and thought provoking book. Partly biographical with an account of life in Poland ( with lovely recipes) from an era beginning before the second World War. Sad partings, hopefulness and inevitable regrets followed by the author's eventual return to her Grandmother's home in Poland all contribute to an absorbing life story.

The rose petal jam recipe really does work and is delicious, 'though a fairly large size pestle and mortar would be helpful.