5.0 out of 5 stars Shy Genius
Published on 10 July 2011 by J. R. Fowler

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a Number: Patrick McGoohan
I bought this for my husband who is a fan of 'The Prisoner' series. Not really my cup of tea although I'm sure it's brilliantly written.
Published 8 months ago by Valerie Howlett

5.0 out of 5 stars Shy Genius, 10 July 2011
J. R. Fowler (Greater London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Not A Number: Patrick McGoohan, a Life: 1 (Paperback)
As with another reviewer, I expected very little from this biography; knowing McGoohan's dislike of interviews and probing, I thought the book would be bricks without straw. I was wrong. Instead of some thin tome cashing in on McGoohan's demise, I plunged into a well researched,well written book which threw light on someone I have been a fan of since 1960, when I was a child. I was a loner when young, and in McGoohan I felt I had found an adult who shared my sensibilities. As an actor he was explosive,unpredictable, with a dynamism which many others lacked. He would have made an intelligent James Bond and a very impressive, powerful Dumbledore.
I can comfortably recommend this book for three reasons: firstly, because it's intelligent and has a compelling lucidity; secondly, because McGoohan the man should reacher the wider world; thirdly, because so many insubstantial lightweights are written about as though they are filmic geniuses when all they are is lucky. McGoohan the actor deserves to be analysed, discussed, appraised because he truly was the shy genius I detected fifty years ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars A phenomenal piece of work!, 13 May 2011
This review is from: Not A Number: Patrick McGoohan, a Life: 1 (Paperback)
I wasn't expecting much from this biography if I'm honest as all though being a well known actor, Patrick McGoohan was also a very private person who rarely gave interviews, and when he did he usually gave very little away. However I was blown away by the sheer amount of research that has gone into producing this very well put together book. It is obvious from the very first page that a huge amount of time and effort has been put into finding obscure excerts from magazines and video taped interviews, that help bring to life the man and his works. If you are a fan of Mr. McGoohan this is a must read book, and if you are not familiar with him then this book should inspire you to sit down and watch this great charachter actor in action.

5.0 out of 5 stars Information... Information, 27 Jan 2012
A. Newell (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Not A Number: Patrick McGoohan, a Life: 1 (Paperback)
If, like Number 2, you want 'information' about Patrick McGoohan, to discover quite how much of an alter ego Number Six was for him, then this excellent biography should be Number One on your list. OK, enough Prisoner puns. McGoohan was a famously private man, not known for giving interviews, but Booth must have tracked down every occasion the actor ever talked to a journalist during his evidently lengthy research, including a long autobiographical article 'written' by Pat himself, at the height of his Danger Man fame, for Woman magazine! Of course this article was probably ghosted from an interview, but nevertheless it gives as detailed a picture of McGoohan's childhood and early career as we're ever going to get. Booth covers the rest of McGoohan's life very well: there's the expected in-depth material on The Prisoner, but the latter stages of his career are also discussed at length, including tantalising glimpses of The Prisoner sequel movie he was planning. Yes, there are still plenty of unanswered questions about the man, but this considered, well put together and above all very readable book is likely to become the definitive source.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent biography of an excellent actor, 4 May 2011
Sean Brady (Victoria Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Not A Number: Patrick McGoohan, a Life: 1 (Paperback)
This is an essential purchase for anyone interested in not only Patrick McGoohan and The Prisoner but in what makes the creative mind tick. It is obvious that a great deal of research has gone into the writing of this book, which is also a great pleasure to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 26 Dec 2012
This review is from: Not A Number: Patrick McGoohan, a Life: 1 (Paperback)
a masterpiece begining from childhood throuh to the early years in sheffield then onto television with dangerman a must have for any admirer of pat mcgoohans work

4.0 out of 5 stars Just what I expected, 27 Jun 2014
This review is from: Not A Number: Patrick McGoohan, a Life: 1 (Paperback)
I love the Prisoner, which I've just re-bought on DVD (the videos finally died) and I really enjoyed this biography of Patrick McGoohan, particularly all the details about the production of the Prisoner and the controversy about it. McGoohan's fierce protection of his family and private life mean that the book wasn't able to throw much light on McGoohan as a person, but his professional life is covered thoroughly from a professional point of view, with summaries of all his film and TV work. The book is well produced with quality paper and typeface and is well-bound. I'm particularly pleased that it fits nicely with my new DVD and book set on the same shelf, so I have all the information in one place.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a Review, 26 April 2011
This review is from: Not A Number: Patrick McGoohan, a Life: 1 (Paperback)
If you want to know why Patrick McGoohan is enigmatic, read this book. If you don't, go watch The Prisoner and then come back!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a Number: Patrick McGoohan, 7 Dec 2013

Not A Number: Patrick McGoohan, a Life: 1
Not A Number: Patrick McGoohan, a Life: 1 by Rupert Booth (Paperback - 20 April 2011)
9.09