5.0 out of 5 stars Some great projects in this book
The book itself looks old fashioned, like something from the Victorian era and the projects inside are based upon the Victorian and Edwardian eras. The first thing that really caught my eye is the deep red, brown and cream fabrics used throughout the book, which create an absolutely stunning effect.

Now I have finished drooling over the pictures I can tell you...
Published on 5 Sep 2010 by Sewing Directory

3.0 out of 5 stars Good idea, lightweight content.
I love the idea of this book and like the little tales/asides on the pages. I would have preferred more content but it is a lovely coffee table book.
Published on 13 Sep 2011 by Stephanie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Some great projects in this book, 5 Sep 2010
Sewing Directory (Devon) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Canny Keepsakes - Colliery Days: A Fabric Project Book (Paperback)

Now I have finished drooling over the pictures I can tell you a bit more about the book! There are over 20 projects, loosely classified by rooms of the house or the people they were made for. Projects include a crazy patchwork tea cosy, Colliery peg bag, cushions, a draft excluder, bunting and more. Each project gets a page of instructions alongside a full page photo. Down the side of each of the instruction pages are quirky little recipes, sayings and poetry.

There are several pages of templates at the back of the book, accompanied by hints and tips down the side of the page. This is a quirky and appealing book with photos that just inspire you to make.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back in Time, 2 Feb 2011
This beautifully produced book takes the reader back to childhood and gives a modern approach to 'Northern' patchwork projects.
The diagrams are great to follow and there are easy and moderately difficult projects to enjoy making.Even peg dolls - so keep those old wooden pegs!
I hope there is a follow up book. I could not get any information from the web site mentioned in the book which was disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canny!, 25 Jan 2011
This is a lovely book..not only does it have projects that the avaerage stitcher can make..its photographs are stunning..a real feel for 'bygone days up North'..anyone and everyone should have a copy of this delight in their collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canny Keepsakes Colliery Days, 30 Aug 2010
Everytime I pick up this book I find something new! I have already made the coursages and Posh Bag, even the templates are interesting and easy to use. Florrie and Betty's anecdotes and rhymes add a new and refreshing twist to a lovely book

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 30 Nov 2011
I was given this book as a gift from a friend and just flicking through i was couldn't wait to get started. It was so easy to follow and wonderfully put together. I enjoyed the articles and anecdotes; I would recommend this to anyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Canny little book, 10 Jun 2011
P. Johnson "goth mother" (Blyth, Northumberland, England) - See all my reviews
This is a lovely book which recreates colliery crafts, it is close to my heart as I am from the North East of England and grew up in a mining community. I would recommend it to anyone interested in 'pit' lifestyles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique book well worth reading, 5 Jun 2011
DJ Collins - See all my reviews
This is not just a craft project book. There are annecdotes, humourous snippets and information throughout, which make it fun to read regardless of whether you want to do the projects.

The projects vary in size, and are graded for difficulty. They would be perfect to give as gifts, as would the book itself. The photography lends atmosphere and the book has a very warm, comforting feeling.

4.0 out of 5 stars Canny Keepsakes, 7 May 2011
I love this book! The pictures and snippets of information about a bygone life-style make it a good read/browse as well as an instruction manual for a variety of craft projects.
My only disapointment is that, whilst a doll pattern is provided, no pattern is given for Florrie and Betty, the two dolls who 'wrote' the book. I'd love to make them.

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful book, 7 Feb 2011
This is really lovely book which I have bought for myself and another two as gifts for friends.
The projects are not too difficult and are varied. I am from the North East but my two friends are not and they both love the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 6 Aug 2010
I only got this book on Wednesday and I now plan to spend my weekend making things, especially a gift for a new member of the family! Beautifully put together and written. I can't wait to get started.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Canny Keepsakes - Colliery Days: A Fabric Project Book
Canny Keepsakes - Colliery Days: A Fabric Project Book by Betty (Paperback - 28 July 2010)
10.46