Many ICT departments are finding that they are teaching the ICT Functional Skills course. As a course it is OK but the main problem has been the distinct lack of resources currently available to help and support teachers.

This book is probably the best one out of the very few available. It is primarily written so that students can follow it without needing a lot of input from their teacher. However, as a teacher I doubt that many school students would want to actually work through the book themselves.

I feel that it is probably more appropriate for the teacher to use the book as a guide for themselves so that they know exactly what they need to cover and to what depth. Once you are confident about what needs to be covered it is easy enough to use the tried and tested resources that you have probably built up over the years to cover the concepts.

There are great end of chapter activities and quick tests and I would certainly recommend using these with students.

The book is broken into sections which mainly follow the QCA points for this course. It is not specifically geared towards any of the exam boards but I didn't find that a problem.

If you are teaching the ICT Functional Skills course then I would highly recommend that you purchase this book - even if you just buy the one copy.
on 11 November 2013
I brought bees books to help me deliver functional skills in ICT as CGP haven't produced any, but also to upskill myself.

Whilst the books are fantastically produced, if you are either teaching or taking a City and Guilds exam ICT exam, I would bother with these books. Whilst they cover everything you need to do on excel, word and PowerPoint. The exam isn't with these systems! Whilst the books teach you on the systems mentioned, the actual exam you can't revise for, as the C&G is on their own "made up" system.

Whilst this isn't the authors fault, I feel that it is very misleading............

I have since increased my ICT knowledge on the systems.
on 2 November 2013
Detailed with relevant information and easy to follow. Tasks are purposeful. Would recommend this to anyone studying for this subject.
on 22 February 2014
I love this book it has so much information in plus tests, just what I need, as I will be taking an exam soon and will be sure to pass.
on 25 November 2013
Bought this book to evaluate its content as to its potential for use with some of our functional skill students.