5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT LITTLE BOOK

Published on 15 May 2011 by peakscan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT LITTLE BOOK, 27 Sep 2010
David Ryan - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wedding Photography - a Guide to Photojournalism (Invest in Knowledge) (Paperback)
I'm a professional photographer and in the past 5 years I've bought approximately 20 wedding photography books. All were good but this little book was the best by far. Don't be put off by its small size as the information contained within is great. If you fancy yourself as a documentary wedding photographer this is the book for you. Read this book and you will learn a lot. David

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book for nervous beginners!, 21 Feb 2011
I purchased this book as I'm an amateur 'tog who's been asked to shoot a friend's wedding and I'm nervous as hell! My friend isn't interested in posed shots, except for maybe a couple with immediate family so the in-laws have what they want, and that suits me just fine as I'm much more interested in shooting events as they unfold. I bought a wedding photography book by Mark Cleghorn a few years ago, and dug it out again with my friend's wedding I mind, but, despite finding it a useful book when I first bought it (before I'd really found my niche as a photographer), this time it just seemed s far removed from what I wanted to do. It listed shot after shot, how to pose the groups, what angles to take the shots from - brilliant if you're doing a traditional wedding shoot, but it filled me with dread. So I hit up Amazon to look for something a little more suited to me, and, despite being small, this book reaffirmed my belief that I can create beautiful wedding photos without posing everyone to within an inch of their life. I read it so quickly - it was honestly un-put-down-able! It's packed with useful info, ideas of things to look out for, tips on what to include and what not to include - but it doesn't hold your hand through the very first steps in photography, it assumes you know how to handle your camera and that you're maybe shooting your first weddings, rather than your first photos! Kerry Morgan writes in such a friendly, honest way - it's hard not to take something away from this book. And it's so small that you can easily re-read, and keep it in your camera bag as another essential accessory!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read no matter what your experience, 4 Aug 2010
It's been a long time since I bought a photography book, but I decided to buy this one after hearing great things about the previous book brought out by this publisher.

I own a wedding and portrait studio, and have shot hundreds of weddings - so I'm fairly picky about "how to" books, and whether they actually have anything of value to teach me. I can say categorically that this one does. Kerry Morgan is undoubtedly one of the best photojournalists in the UK (which is what made me part with my cash), and she shares this knowledge in a straightforward way that doesn't try to hide anything or sell anything.

This book won't hold your hand and show you exactly what to do - PJ isn't like that - but it will show you how to open your eyes, see things you didn't see before, and enable you to shoot in a different way.

There are many photography books that will show you a formulaic way to photograph in a specific way, without any thought about why. This is a book for the rest of it.

4.0 out of 5 stars great reference book, I always carry with me, 11 Oct 2010
This book was a wealth of good tips and ideas that I now utilize when shooting weddings. Together with David Pearce's guide to posing, they invaluable sources of information.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 5 Aug 2010
I love this.
Just finished reading it and I feel incredibly inspired.
I've learned tons of things that I can actually use in my wedding photography not only to take better pictures, but also to connect even further with my couple and capture their day with emotion and take pictures that makes a difference.
I highly recommend this book to anyone in the photography or wedding industry.

3.0 out of 5 stars Limited use for a beginner, 15 May 2011
If you are about to photograph a wedding in a cathedral, where the bride arrives in a Rolls, likes being photographed, the service is accompanied by a choir and there is an opportunity to shoot the couple in a quiet moment in the orchard attached to the family garden, this is a useful book. The problem with this book is that it assumes readers are booked to shoot a top end wedding - it is almost as if the author wrote the book as a marketing tool for their own business .... If you are buying this book because you are just starting out, you are much more likely to have to make the best of a tired Register Office, a wedding party who find it difficult to relax in front of the lens and a free bar in a pub with a low ceiling rather than a cocktail hour in a grand hotel - and there is limited help with difficult venues here.

This is not to say that there is not useful material in here for anyone - the emphasis on planning can hardly be faulted, the section on capturing preparations is relevant whatever the final venue and the writer demonstrates that she really can make great compositions in spontaneous moments and difficult light. The key to getting the best out of this book is to look at the subtitle : "A Guide To Photojournalism" - there is nothing here about posing and almost all the photos demonstrate the value of being unobtrusive but close to the action. If you are new to wedding photography, see this as a source of inspiration rather than a "how to" guide.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly impressed., 4 Aug 2010
David Murray (Cheshire) - See all my reviews
I am incredibly impressed with this book. It is compact, so can be carried with you always, it's beautifully printed and amazing value for money.
The difference with this book however, as compared to many other books on this subject, is that the author actually knows what she's talking about. The author is of the UK's best Wedding Photographers, however she not as well known as some others who profess to have an understanding of the subject and seem to churn out books and DVDs like they're going out of fashion.
Kerry talks the reader through a typical wedding from preparing for the shoot right through to the reception and dancing. She also discusses different types of ceremonies and she also shares with the reader a complete wedding which complements perfectly her inspiring images throughout the book.
A mix of fantastic practical advice with the talent and images to back it up, this book is a must for anyone considering entering the competitive world of wedding photography.

5.0 out of 5 stars little gem, 29 Feb 2012
this book is a little gem. it just walks you through a whole wedding, from start to finish. tips on timing are invaluable. very easy to read, photographs are beautiful and appropriate and illustrate author's points precisely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy Piece of Kit, 28 May 2011
As i've only been actively doing wedding photography for the past year and a half, I found this book, like others in this collection to be very informative and useful. It's great to have something to pick up to either read or for a quick browse during those moments you find yourself waiting before or during a job, something to refresh yourself or give you a little inspiration. The images provides a varied spread of different scenarios and places you may find yourself in, be it a well lit room, a dark corridor or out in an open space. I often use it to get my head into work mode to get me thinking when I know where I am going to be shooting. Well worth the money as it is something to dip in and out of as needed. Great companion for any wedding photographer no matter how long you've been doing it. It's always good to refresh, recap and re-think!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Book, 28 Feb 2011
I love taking pictures and with my sisters wedding coming up i wanted to get a few ideas - this book has many! It was not the style of photography i was after but im glad i got it now! I will be reading it again before the big day. Definately worth a read. I could not put it down.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Wedding Photography - a Guide to Photojournalism (Invest in Knowledge)
Used & New from: 28.24