5.0 out of 5 stars Still giggling about the vicar's randy wife!
Published on 19 Oct 2011 by Tina Orr Munro

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read
Enjoyable, funny in places & sad too!! Took me a while to get into it but glad I didn't give up
Published 14 months ago by Laura white

5.0 out of 5 stars Still giggling about the vicar's randy wife!, 19 Oct 2011
This review is from: Fat Girls and Fairy Cakes (Paperback)
I don't usually read chicklit, but a friend recommended this to me so I thought I'd give it a try. I was hooked from the very first page. I loved the idea of the vicar's randy wife which made me laugh out loud. I also liked the backdrop of the crazy world of daytime TV and its larger-than-life characters. As a working mum, the main character, Stella, and her feelings of constantly being pulled in all directions really resonated with me. But what I really liked about the book was that it had both humour and pathos. A cracking debut novel and I look forward to reading more by the same author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fat Girls and Fairy Cakes, 3 May 2012
This review is from: Fat Girls and Fairy Cakes (Paperback)
I was seriously disappointed when i finished this book :) i wanted it to carry on because i was enjoying every page so much º. The book has brought to life the main character making her so real that certain things she does is exactly how you would react and think in the situations. I found myself wanting to share snippets from the book with family and friends, especially the moments when i sat laughing out loud as my husband watched a boring film. This book is a chick flick in paperback form. I fully recommend this book if you want to giggle, feel every emotion going and enjoy a bit of cake!

5.0 out of 5 stars A absolute joy to read!, 8 Oct 2011
This review is from: Fat Girls and Fairy Cakes (Paperback)
Fat Girls & Fairy Cakes by Sue Watson won me over in the first couple of pages.

It centres on Stella Weston, who works as a TV producer with the boss from hell. I was laughing out loud at so much of the story, from the goings-on on location in Rochdale while filming the religious gardening programme, to the disastrous encounters with Diego the doctor, and the numerous clever one-liners.

The story has some very touching moments, too. Stella's marriage is rocky, she struggles to make a success of a new venture and troubles beset her closest friends. But Sue Watson handles these aspects with great warmth, leading her main character through the serious stuff, and eventually out the other side.

An absolute joy to read, Fat Girls & Fairy Cakes is one of those books that you just don't want to end.

5.0 out of 5 stars fairy cakes, 6 July 2012
This review is from: Fat Girls and Fairy Cakes (Paperback)
fab fab fab other reviewers sum this book up really as it was a fab read very entertaining was alittle slow at first but if you stay with it you will be pleased you did i certainly am. it
had you laughing out load throughout.. it also had some more serious parts which brought the odd tear to your eyes.. but all in all i loved it and would truly reommend to anyone looking for a real good chick lit.ENJOY

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyed every page!, 14 Oct 2011
This review is from: Fat Girls and Fairy Cakes (Paperback)
Having read rave reviews about Sue Watson's debut novel Fat Girls & Fairy Cakes I couldn't wait to get stuck in and see if it
walked the walk! It doesn't just walk, it positively struts!

We begin the story with Stella Weston, working in the TV industry, married to Tom, mother to Grace. Stella is always rushed off her feet, pulled in every direction and as many a working mother is, weighed down by guilt for not always being there for her family.

Life for Stella is turned upside down when she has to deal with problems both at home and work. The novel follows Stella's path to dealing with, accepting and overcoming these life changing events. With the help of her best friends and colleagues, Lizzie and Al, Stella gradually discovers that another love of her life, cake, could actually be her salvation.

I really enjoyed reading Fat Girls & Fairy Cakes, not only was it funny with some lovely colourful characters, Al being a favourite of mine, but it was touching and sometimes sad. However, the less happy themes are dealt with in keeping with the overall light hearted tone of the book. Stella is great and you can't help cheering her on as she gradually discovers and rediscovers herself.

The supporting cast were fun too, MJ loved hating her, Tom who made me sad, best friend Lizzie being a real BBF, Al funny, catty but lovely, Seb pragmatic and reliable, sweet little Grace who has an old head on young shoulders and not forgetting Stella's dizzy mum. This is the sort of book you could easily envisage seeing on the big screen.

I would have no hesitation in recommending Fat Girls & Fairy Cakes to anyone who wants an entertaining read and for all cake lovers; there are some great recipes at the end of the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars would recommend!! loved it!!, 12 Oct 2012
This review is from: Fat Girls and Fairy Cakes (Paperback)
I love a good chick book. I love a laugh! this had both with an enormous dollop of the weepy stuff. I found it slow at first but once I got past the first chapter or so I just could put it down!! had a very late night as I just to finish it!! very emotional in places and hysterical in others!! the wedding is a riot! loved it! loved it! loved it! So disappointed when this is the only book by this author. more please!!!!
*** WARNING *** made me want to eat cake, yummy creamy very scrummy cake. not good if you on a diet!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fat Girls and Fairy Cakes, 29 Aug 2012
This review is from: Fat Girls and Fairy Cakes (Paperback)
I can't recommend this book enough. Having spent my life reading tales of perfect heroines that never have weight issues or break out in spots - I couldn't wait to read a book with such an intriguing title. The heroine is a real woman and her journey rolls between hilarious and highly emotional. I cried with laughter only to find myself choking back tears of emotion as I turned the page. This is a story of triumph in the face of adversity but nothing runs smoothly and that's what makes the heroine so engaging. I hoping for a sequel soon!
Fat Girls and Fairy Cakes

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It, Can't Wait For Next Book By Sue, 15 July 2012
This review is from: Fat Girls and Fairy Cakes (Paperback)
I loved this book. At first I wasn't sure if I would like it, however after the first couple of chapters I couldn't put it down. I can't wait for the next book by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars What an Enjoyable Read!, 24 Jun 2012
Recommended by friends and didn;t disappoint! Very funny but also very poignant as it takes you on a journey through marriage, motherhood, juggling work and home, the difficult boss and keeps you turning the pages to find out how it all works out! Definitely one to pack for the pool or the beach!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read., 12 Oct 2011
I found i was laughing out loud with this book whilst i was lying on a lounger. I was getting some strange looks.

This is about a lady called Stella who is happily married to Tom and have a daughter called Grace. She would be happy if she wasnt overworked all the time as a TV producer and has a boss from hell.

When pushed by her boss to go on to a down and out religous gardening programme. Too everyone surprise after a live show that could not go right from the beginning the ratings are very high. But for Stella her boss finds away to get her suspended. Stella can not take anymore and decides enough is enough and leaves.

Then she finds out that her husband been hiding something from her.

Desperate for money can her passion for making cakes become a career.

This is very funny book, can not wait for another book by Sue Watson

Fat Girls and Fairy Cakes
Fat Girls and Fairy Cakes by Sue Watson (Paperback - 8 Sep 2011)