on 16 July 2012
I read this book to quickly give me some good background knowledge for a retail site I am putting up. It covered all the important areas to consider when creating a website for e-commerce. Most of the ideas are immediately actionable, and I applied them as I went along. Not having a background in programming/web design I was unsure if I could put together a complete & functioning website, and cover the marketing aspects as well. I feel confident that I am going in the right direction now, and know what I should be trying to learn from this point on. Thanks for writing such a great book. If I make it big I will send you a personal thank you note!!
on 27 September 2012
This is an absolute must for anyone looking to go into e-commerce or really anyone looking to start their own business. This is clearly written from experience and could prevent you from making common but costly mistakes.

It's set out in a nice, step by step format, meaning it's easy to take in what is essentially a huge amount of information. Ian first covers the major mistakes people make before breaking down the basic principles to success. He covers everything from building your website to what to look out for when hiring a web designer to marketing, and he even breaks those tips down so even the most inexperienced can learn quickly and easily.

Also included is some great, helpful links and a further reading list which I shall be sure to follow up on. Definitely recommended!
on 8 July 2013
I decided to buy this book after searching through Amazon for marketing advice for small e-commerce stores. One of the major factors in my decision was the quality of the existing Amazon reviews, so I thought I would add to them.
The 1st positive is the price - £4.51 for the Kindle version - a no-brainer really.
Having bought the Kindle version, I used the 'notes' feature to create ideas for my own site from examples given in the book. This turned out to be invaluable as on finishing the book I had 32 specific actions I could carry out ranging from alterations to my existing content to numerous ideas sparked for content creation and marketing strategies.
One of the most important pieces of information in this book is the message that it takes a lot of time and effort to raise your profile but this is certainly achievable if you channel your effort in the correct areas indicated.
This was an essential read for me and the most useful book to date I have read on this subject.
on 26 April 2013
I am very impressed with the effort Ian Daniel has put into providing such useful information for new ecommerce websites. I emailed Ian just after buying the book. He responded literally within minutes and has since sent me other information regarding the approach I should take when employing and working with web designers and people who pass themselves off as SEO "experts". Ian's advice set off many alarm bells, especially as I’m new to the ecommerce world and in my dealings with web designers.

Although I am quite astute when it comes to setting up and running a business (I have been running a successful face to face business for the past 2 years) I have realised, thankfully quite early on, that in order to run a profitable ecommerce business, there are no short-cuts to understanding how your ecommerce website functions. This includes all the technical aspects. You don't need a PhD in website development, but you do need to know a sufficient amount not to come across as naive when talking to web designers. Unfortunately, there are cowboy companies out there who may abuse the fact that you know next to nothing about designing a website.

Having now read most of this book, I have realised that I made numerous mistakes. I wish I had read it several months ago when I was looking to employ my first ever web design company. My website is being designed right now and although it's too late to change the company I'm working with, this book has given me the confidence to ask them lots of probing questions. My web designers no longer have the upper hand, because I know what I'm talking about! Also, make sure you fully understand their contract before you sign anything. If necessary, get legal advice before signing the initial contract, before you give them a single penny. Most are not interested in your business or whether you are ever going to make a profit. Make sure they work hard to give you the website you need to make money on the internet.

I highly recommend this up-to-date ecommerce book. It is rare to find an author who is willing to promptly respond to your emails. Use this book to learn as much as possible about the technology involved in designing your website, learn about effective SEO and get your ecommerce business off the ground!
on 25 September 2012
I was looking for a book that covered everything for setting up an online shop. From the beginning stages, to the development, payment, all the way through to the marketing of the site. This book covers it all. As well as going through the process step-by-step, the book also offers handy tips, 'dos and donts', additional information and advice. The content is easily structured in defining chapters which also makes it a great book for reference in the future. Well worth the price!
on 23 May 2012
I purchased this book as I was looking for good ways to help my customers improve there commerce sites beyond the technical marketing SEO techniques and offer sound business advice. I now recommend Ian Daniels E-Commerce - Get it Right to all relevant customers and they all thank me for it.
on 26 May 2012
I am in the process of setting up my first online store, (a totally new platform for me), and you know how it is, all of a sudden everyone is an expert!! The conflicting information I was receiving on things as simple as what E-Commerce software to use was driving me to distraction. I just wanted straight answers to simple questions, and after signing up for a report from Ian and liking what I read, I decided to invest in his book. The book is written in plain English, you do not need a PhD to understand or navigate your way through it and I really wish I could list here, everything I have learned in this fantastic reference guide, because in essence, thats what it is.

It starts with basics, like how to view an E-Commerce store and 13 common E-Commerce mistakes, then goes on to cover topics like domain names, strategy, legal considerations, layout and colour choices, sales funnels, SEO, advice on copy, analytics, reports and measuring, pre-launch testing requisites, returns, and security and trust to name a few, the list is endless!! There are hot tips throughout and examples of websites that are doing things really well and are worth looking at. You're provided with the website links to everything he discusses where relevant, from monitoring competitor activity and product research to the more popular shopping directories and merchant account providers.

This book covers EVERYTHING, right down to the mistakes he has made so that you can avoid them AND (get this) Ian even goes as far as giving you the option to contact him directly with any E-Commerce questions as his guarantee to you!!!

If, like me, you are new to E-Commerce or are struggling to make your online business a success, this book really is what my title says, a lantern in the darkness!!!
on 28 September 2015
Pretty good overall, if you do not know the basics and want to really understand the eComm business model this is a good read if a little outdated.
However if you are looking for a deep analysis of eCommerce you can do a lot better, this is for beginners
on 7 December 2012
I started off with a business plan that was heading towards being a "Bricks and Mortar" start up, purely because of my total lack of Internet knowledge. However, having read and reread this book I am now prepared to launch into ecommerce. This book competently covers the main topics that an Internet novice needs to know, in an understandable, and structured way. Ian Daniels poses the questions which the potential business owner needs to be able to answer. However, what really blew my socks off was that Ian Daniels offers personal feedback via email and he responded to my query immediately and personally and his reply was helpful on all points. If that isn't adding value what is?
on 5 November 2013
I bought this book last year and it is a must read if you are getting into ecommerce or are already in ecommerce. I say this because there is so much that can be overlooked, even down to the back end functions of a good ecommerce website such as; the automation of tasks like emails, invoices etc which can be easily overlooked or, if you are giving a website design to a developer, can be easily missed, and costly if you want to add it in later.

The book is a must read, especially in the ever growing and complex world of ecommerce.