5.0 out of 5 stars Every Knitter Needs This!, 17 Aug 2011
This review is from: Little Red in the City (Paperback)
This book is the book I was looking for when I first started knitting. Never one to do things "by the book" I wanted to get started modifying knitting patterns to fit my body straight away. Sqaure boxy things look ridiculous on me (I'm quite amply chested) but larger sizes leave me swimming in fabric as my waist is much narrower than my bust. Knitting smaller sizes doesn't work either- my hips and bust stretch the fabric out if it even fits at all. I needed a way to knit sweaters from standard patterns and modify them to fit my hourglassy shape (sounds like a blessing, totally isn't. It's theoretically the "shape ideal" but I challenge you to find clothes and especially knitting patterns to suit it! It may be the ideal but it's not the norm and shops and pattern writers don't cater for it!)
This book does EXACTLY what I wanted all those years ago. It offers the perfect recipe for adding room at the bust and removing it at the waist and the back (because knitting an XL bust and a M waist usually just ends up with you looking like a hunchback from behind). It shows you how to do this in the 7 patterns that come with the book but the instructions are so detailed, so clear, and ALL the math is explained so well that you can do it with ANY pattern you come up against.
And Ysolda shows you how different patterns look on different body shapes. Hers- tiny, small chested, narrow waisted,and long torsoed and her friend Amanda's- taller, amply curved, bigger tummy than bust, and larger upper arms. She also shows you a few different body shapes on her dressmaker's dummy and how to make things fit those shapes. And each pattern comes in like a million sizes from size 28 to size 64 or something wonderful like that so whatever your size you can make the patterns in the book. The patterns in the book though are like brilliant, adorable, fashionable knitting training for modifying ANY pattern to fit your size and shape.

This book is a MUST. Buy it. You won't be disappointed.

And if you don't knit- buy it anyway. The pictures are gorgeous, the colours are wonderful, and the materials the book is printed on are lovely to handle! I just LOVE this book.

Can't recommend it enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars More than just patterns, 3 Aug 2011
C. Fletcher (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Little Red in the City (Paperback)
When I realised this book only had 7 patterns in it, I decided NOT to buy it. Then I saw an extract on Ysolda's blog and knew that I had to have the book despite the paucity of designs to knit. I loved the artwork and the layout and thought it was worth the money for that alone.

When I got my book I wasn't disappointed. The book is a work of art. It is beautiful to look at and Ysolda's trademark whimsical stamp is on every page. I love at least three of the seven patterns and quite like another couple, but these patterns are not the main reason to buy this book. This book is a wonderful resource for knitters who have got a firm grasp of knitting other people's patterns, but are sick of them not looking quite right. Every page of the front half of the book is dedicated to giving tips and tricks to improve technique and adjust fitting of knitting patterns in a way that flatters. The techniques involve such varied subjects as how to choose the right yarn to working out where to put waist shaping.

To help explain the techniques described, each of the patterns at the rear of the book is broken down into sections where you can insert your own measurements and calculations. The sizes cover 28" - 60" busts and each design is shown on two quite different sized women who are NOT models, but the author and her friend. There are many worked calculations so that you can follow the step by step instructions without being very good at maths.

Overall this books is a valuable resource for any knitter's shelf, with lovely designs to knit in ways that fit in the way you want them to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just what I've been looking for!!, 28 Sep 2011
This review is from: Little Red in the City (Paperback)
I got my copy of Little Red last night - a pre requested birthday gift from my husband (who thankfully has embraced buying me knitting based gifts!)

The book is fabulous - its a mass of information, set out in a way that allows you to follow it through step by step, or dive into it as a reference. The patterns, whilst not all to my personal taste, show a great range of shapes and this is the point - you aren't necessarily going to buy this book just for the patterns - your buying it for the ability to adjust those patterns, and then be able to use the skills you've learnt to adjust other patterns. I'm probably only going to knit 1 or 2 of the 7 patterns in there (Angustora is beautiful!!) but its worth the cover price just as a reference book.

I love the fact that you can get digital copy for free so you can print copies to keep so as not to ruin your book by carting it in your bag, and print multiple of the 'fill in your measurements' charts for all the people you knit for - genius!!

My only criticism of the book is that whilst I like the look of the handwritten style font which is used for titles and diagrams there does come a point where there is too much of it - and similarly for hand drawn diagrams that look a little messy - some are fine - all not so good. Similarly there is a lot of use of paragraphs where bullets would have been better for a book that is primarily for reference - thats the only reason I took it from 5 stars to 4. The actual content is brilliant.

Our new knitting group will be devouring this one over the winter!

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Red in the City, 11 Dec 2011
This review is from: Little Red in the City (Paperback)
Where do you start, this book is truly awesome it covers every aspect of knitting these wonderful garments and not only that you can customise your patterns to get that elusive great fit...........did I mention it is a good read too??

5.0 out of 5 stars Book, 15 Mar 2014
This review is from: Little Red in the City (Paperback)
Lovely book and very homely and fun. Am working out which project to go for and can not wait to get started.

Little Red in the City
Little Red in the City by Ysolda Teague (Paperback - 30 Jun 2011)