5.0 out of 5 stars Put in the effort and it will work!!
Published 23 days ago by Emma Brade

1.0 out of 5 stars So many good reviews?
I would love to purchase this book to help me overcome my phobia, but I am a little suspicious of all the amazing reviews here. They are all very eloquently written, all praising the book very highly indeed (except one). All have appeared regularly at a rate of between one to three every single month during 2013 - except for April and May where two/four A DAY seem to have...
Published 11 months ago by Sometimes Things Get Whatever

5.0 out of 5 stars Put in the effort and it will work!!, 24 Nov 2014
This review is from: Cure Your Emetophobia & Thrive: The Research-backed Self-help Programme to Overcome Your Fear of Being Sick (Spiral-bound)
Put in the effort and it will work. I was very sceptical when I first heard about the Thrive Programme if I am going to be honest. Since I could remember I had always had a fear of being sick and others being sick in front of me. I really wanted to overcome my fear and tried everything I could think of. I just couldn't believe that this programme would work on me, I felt alone and stuck with my condition but I thought I might as well try it, nothing else so far had worked. I always felt that my emetophobia had controlled my life for all these past years but I was wrong. The only thing which made me have this phobia was myself. This book proves so many theories. You will look at your life in a completely different light. Everything you learn is relatively basic but not obvious to someone which such a phobia. It wasn't easy completing the course, at times I felt I wasn't getting better but then I needed to put in more effort! The more effort you put into this course, the more you will get out of it. I would like to publicly thank one of the consultants that I saw, Cara who demonstrated all this and has taught me all I know today.
You cannot read this book and expect to be 'cured'. You have to work at it every day! Sooner than later, these new thinking skills become habits.
My life is so much better now than it was. I am able to go out with friends on a night out, use public bathrooms without fear and watch movies in the cinema without friends vetting them first. I promise if you buy this book you will not regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says!, 27 April 2013
it is unusual to find a book that is easy to read, easier to understand and is underpinned with experience as well as research.
This is one of those books.
It does what it says!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cure your Emetophobia and Thrive, 27 April 2013
This book gives an excellent explanation and insight into why someone has emetophobia. Working through the book gradually increases confidence that this is not an inevitable way to be and by following the advice you WILL be able to overcome the fear and live a normal, happy life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Brilliant Book, 28 April 2013
My husband bought this book recently from a Thrive consultant of Rob Kelly's he decided to see for help with his emetophobia. He's suffered with Emetophobia almost all his life, I can hardly believe the change in him, he's completely gotten over his phobia, if you suffer with this phobia you'll know this is amazing. Not just that, his whole outlook on life has totally changed for the better. All this in just a few short weeks, the truth is it's totally changed both our lives, we can go out and just have a good time without him worrying he'll see someone being sick or he will be sick. If you suffer with this phobia, this is the self help book for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars It worked for me. You don't have to live with Emetophobia., 6 Oct 2014
I cannot recommend this book enough. Like a number of comments here, I was initially cynical. In fact I was convinced that it wouldn't work so went into it in a very negative way. However, after 2 weeks I was no longer Agoraphobic and 2 months on my life has changed completely. I don't react to the old Emetophobia triggers. I no longer think about it all day everyday. I am no longer in constant fear. I now laugh and smile and measure my life by how much I laugh rather than what I 'can't' do. It gave me my life back. To me, it is the miracle cure but it obviously won't do the work for you. You have to work at the techniques everyday. I will never look back now and intend to enjoy my life to the full after nearly 40 years of Emetophobia. Since undertaking the course, I have now been able to take my son to the doctors for a vaccination which would have been impossible before hand, start driving again, go out the house, eat out, cope with feeling sick and even laugh at it!. I am happy to answer any questions on my experiences of the book / program. I don't have an axe to grind, I don't earn anything from the books etc. However, it has changed my life so much I am going to train as a Thrive Practitioner!!! You don't have to live with Emetophobia, I had tried everything (CBT, EMDR, Hypnotherapy, Exposure Therapy etc.). You have nothing to lose other than your fear.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has completely changed my life!! Don't suffer anymore- buy it :) It's the best £25 you'll ever spend. I promise., 21 July 2014
Well, this review is going to be quite long and detailed, so before you read on let me summarise why I am writing this; Anyone and everyone with emetophobia NEEDS to buy this book. End of. Because it really will change your entire life, even aspects of it that you didn't realise needed changing (The book has a particular knack for highlighting those...!)

I initially bought the Thrive book a few years ago, having suffered with emetophobia for probably around 20 years (starting when I was about 6 I think). I had a few sessions with Rob and then due to time/money constraints (and probably deep-down a lack of belief that it would work) stopped the programme and sessions. BIG mistake.

18 months later; I was at the point of total despair. I couldn't clearly remember a time that I hadn't had emetophobia, but over the last few years it had spiralled massively and life was completely out of control. I had totally hit rock bottom. It's a bit awkward now to look back at everything I was doing to try and `manage'/avoid my phobia, but my avoidance tactics included; almost starving myself (dropping 2 stone in 2 months and giving myself a stomach ulcer) to the point of only eating half a bowl of soup a day so I had nothing in my stomach to throw up or for bugs to `latch' on to (ridiculous!), drinking loads of coffee and tea to stifle my appetite, barely even drinking water, eating endless chewing gum/mints to speed up my metabolism and get food out of my stomach quicker, avoid eating meat and fish (first in restaurants, then almost completely unless the food was borderline-cremated), having to sit on the end of a row or near a toilet so I always had an escape, then avoiding eating out altogether or having to go outside mid-way through a meal because I was having such a panic attack, avoiding friends who had been ill for WEEKS, constantly carrying plastic bags with me in case I had to be sick, shutting myself in my room every evening if a bug was going around - the list was endless. I even got a doctor to prescribe me anti-vomit tablets normally prescribed to people having chemotherapy, because I told him my IBS (now miraculously disappeared, by the way!) meant I couldn't keep food down without them.

Eating out, going out, flying anywhere, even going on holiday; everything became stressful and unbearable because of this fear. Last year I even ended up breaking up with a boyfriend because of it (not that he ever knew why) because I was so snappy and depressed, and could never eat/go out because of the panic; I became so unbearable to live with that we just couldn't function as a couple anymore and, I'm sad to say, I cut my ties.

I knew things had gotten really bad when I started to drink very heavily to try and curb the severity of my panic attacks, which were happening before, during, and after every meal, as well as during the night (so I never slept), and every conceivable time in-between. It might seem odd for an emeto to drink heavily, but I literally had no coping skills and I was latching on to anything that could emotionally get me through the panics each day (and the hangovers made everything about a thousand times worse so I spiralled even more).

Earlier this year, I lost my job, suffered a bereavement and went through a break up in the same 2 weeks and completely lost the plot. At some points, I was so depressed I even found myself wondering if my only way out was suicide because I just couldn't imagine living with it any longer (I hope that I would never have done it but the thoughts are certainly scary enough). When I had to go and get a routine blood test earlier this year and my results came back with chronic dehydration, malnutrition, vitamin deficiency, and liver functioning issues, I started to worry and knew I had to get help. I contacted Rob and he told me about this new book he had published SPECIFICALLY for emetophobia, Cure Your Emetophobia and Thrive, so I bought it and started from the beginning.

I'm not going to say it was easy. It was hard work. I was admittedly rather resistant at the start, getting cross and frustrated, fighting the book's theories and questioning whether it would ever work. Sometimes I was completely demoralised and low and didn't ever think I would be powerful enough to get through it. Sometimes I would have a few better days and then beat myself up if I messed up a day, telling myself I'd ruined everything and I was doomed with emetophobia forever. BUT, slowly slowly, as I immersed myself in Thrive/Cure your Emeto more, as I stopped fighting the book and started doing it was telling me to do, I started gradually to get a bit better and a bit better. I'd have a stumble but I'd just try to get over it and carry on. I even took a holiday by myself for a week in Greece to spend time away from my routines at home and really get to grips with the theories and the techniques to get better, which made an enormous difference.

I started the course around 2 or 3 months ago; the difference is already UNBELIEVABLE, and I'm not completely done yet so I know there is so much further I can go! It makes me feel sad watching the videos and reading the online `support' groups I used to fixate on where sufferers and psychiatrists tell people you just have to learn to `live with it', because the reality is that with Thrive you can completely get rid of emetophobia!

I haven't told many people about my emeto (not even my Mum until recently, I had become so good at hiding it) or about the book, but everybody is raving about how different I suddenly am :) I feel happy, calm, confident, and powerful in my own destiny, for the first time in... well... ever, probably!! I have rediscovered a love of food again (much to the detriment of my bank balance seeing as half my outfits from my emeto days no longer fit me!), have completely stopped the panic-drinking, and I am even signing up to do a 10k run in September! Hilariously, I actually hate running... but I wanted the personal challenge of training for something and achieving it. The world is my oyster and I wake up each day feeling so grateful for my life and for the day(s) ahead, but especially for buying this book and putting in the hard work (it IS hard work at first!!) to get myself better. You really have to put in the hard graft, and at times it will be really tough, but it is so utterly, totally worth it.

I just can't put into words how completely different my life is now, all thanks to this life-changing book. I barely ever even think about vomit anymore, my safety-seeking behaviours and anxieties are almost completely gone, and today (as an example) I got through an entire working day in a good mood, getting on with my work, snacking and eating regular meals, drinking lots of water; and suddenly it got to 6pm and I realised I'd gotten through an entire working day without even THINKING about vomit, and eating food calmly and on autopilot, etc. And this is not a rare occurrence, this is my stress-free, positivity-filled life now! I am so so proud, and RELIEVED, that I am finally getting over it! I'm not completely finished yet, but given how I feel now I am excited to see how much further I can go by carrying on! So if you're suffering with this horrible, destructive, life-debilitating phobia; buy this book :) It's the best £25 you'll ever spend. I promise.

Rob; I couldn't have got to where I am without you and your revolutionary book, and I will be forever grateful for everything you have done to set me on the path to a fulfilling and happy life. THANK YOU :)

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST PROGRAMME FOR EMETOPHOBIA & ANXIETY!, 26 Oct 2014
I bought this book over a year ago because I was tired of having emetophobia and I worked through it with my Thrive consultant in Toronto, Daniel Deslauriers. Before I started Thrive, I tried Cognitive Behavourioural Therapy and was successful in overcoming a ten-year depression. I still had social anxiety, generalized anxiety, low self-esteem and emetophobia (emetophobia was my biggest concern as we all know how intense the impact is!). As I started reading the book and doing the exercises, I was able to realize that I no longer needed to obsess about things and took control over the generalized anxiety! I also was able to work on the social anxiety as I realized that social anxiety was all created by me! Doing the exercise on self-esteem really allowed my self-esteem to soar (and it’s important to continue doing these exercises in self-praise or your self-esteem battery can dwindle which happened to me throughout the past year). The most challenging aspect was actually overcoming the feelings of anxiety that I created over vomiting (obviously). I have to admit I was not persistent enough in my application of the programme, which is why I have allowed myself to get off track in the past year. I also have to admit that I have read testimonials and allowed myself to feel a bit like a failure as people seemed to overcome this fear so easily – but I realized that this is perfectionist and unhelpful thinking and I have to move at my own pace (thanks to the chapters on unhelpful thinking styles). A month ago, I started re-reading the book and doing the exercises and I am confident in my skills to overcome this fear, no matter how long it takes! I am confident because this book teaches you how to take control of your thoughts, actions and emotions. It teaches you how to feel good about yourself no matter what. It teaches you how to NOT engage in anxious thinking about vomiting (or really, about anything!). And it teaches you that when you do feel anxiety, to know that you have the ability to tolerate it and build a psychological bridge to deal with ANYTHING. I highly recommend this book as it will definitely change your life for the better. If you have the opportunity to work through it with a Thrive consultant, please ensure to do so. Daniel Deslauriers has been a great consultant and I highly recommend him as well!

5.0 out of 5 stars I beat emetophobia using THRIVE, 9 April 2013
I worked with Rob Kelly himself, and I was a very severe emetophobic. Rob introduced me to ''Thrive'' - a concept I fought I might add, like my depended on it. That said, my life was so utterly consumed by a phobia of sick, that I had nothing to lose - so I tried, despite my very sceptical view of this ''cure''.

I had emetophobia for over 30 years - it ruled every second of my life, coloured every experience, destroyed everything in my life, tormented me - I lived in fear. Everything I did, or did not do was defined by sick. I had seen in excess of 45 different therapists, over decades, spent thousands upon thousands on treatments (literally) with the promise of a ''cure'' only to be told I was ''resistant'' my phobia was ''too severe'' and labelled ''untreatable''. I had almost given up, hen I met Rob Kelly - he will remain the most amazing, insight, perceptive and kind man I have ever met - his knowledge of people, their minds, the interplay of emotions, personality traits and basically what makes us all 'tick' will never ever cease to amaze me - I often feel he can reach into my mind and read my thoughts - its at times, erie how spot on he actually was / is. This guy actually gets emetophobia - I have never met anyone else who does like him and I have been treated in every corner of this Earth - again literally. This actually DOES show you how to cure yourself. Hard to believe, and believe me many a heated argument was had on this topic...it would not be unfair to say I was quite an offensive person to treat...

That said, Rob never waivered - not once. His utter belief in this was shocking at times to me - he KNEW it worked. Did I believe him - sorry, no, not once. Did I do what Thrive asked - eventually yes & I so wish I had long before - because when I did, I actually started to SEE a difference in myself.

I hate being wrong, I truly hate it - but I am happy to say I was wrong - in every sense of the word - this works, by god does it work. I have a life for the first time in my life and I got it using thrive.

If you think life is not worth living because of sick, or that you just CAN'T deal with it, or CAN'T do anything because you might be sick - then please put yourself out of the misery I know it is to live with a phobia like this - buy this book and do exactly what it says - nothing more, nothing less. And trust me, if it helped me - it can help you too. This is not some bogus approach by some guy who is trying to sell a book - not some ''motivational'' book - not one of those billions of ''self help'' books that don't get it / make any difference. This approach does, and I am living proof of it - proof that a phobia can be beaten, against all odds and now I am so desperately grateful as for the first time, I have a life & I never ever thought I would!

Thank you Mr Kelly, you are truly the most inspirational, wise man on this planet - I so hope others can benefit as I did. Thanks for sticking with me!!!!!!

Your life does not have to be about sick - there actually is a treatment now, that does work!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book will not 'cure' you. You have to cure yourself using this book. But it does work!, 26 Feb 2014
Seems that most emetophobes are skeptical of anything advertised as a cure, and I was no exception. After CBT a few years ago, and another desperate visit to my GP for more advise last summer, it seemed there was no hope.
I decided to embark on some internet based research, which led me to hypnotherapy, which then led me to Rob Kelly's Thrive website. I booked an appointment with one of the Thrive consultants and never looked back!

I gained so much insight in to phobias and other anxiety based disorders, and learned an awful lot about myself (which was not always pleasing at the time). But I cannot express how much this book has helped me in general in my day-to-day life. Not only is my emetophobia so much better (it takes continued daily effort over prolonged period of time) but I am more confident, my IBS has practically disappeared and I can control obsessing thinking and anxiety so much better.

Be under no illusions - reading this book will not cure you. The process is hard work, takes a lot of effort and you have to be willing to change, assess yourself and work hard on the exercises daily, even after you have finished the book. But that's why it works - you are making changes for life.

5.0 out of 5 stars This will help to change your life, 9 Feb 2014
I know many people read these reviews and be sceptical (I know because I was) but if you work through this book, especially if you go through it with one of the consultants, it will change your life.
I suffered with 'emetophobia' and anxiety since I can remember (I'm currently 26) and in the new year I made a resolution that I would try and find something that could help me overcome it and after looking online I came across the thrive programme and after doing as much research as I could into it, I decided to call my local consultant and give it a go and I have had 5 sessions and my life has changed completely. I am more confident and things are still getting better everyday, it is challenging but in a good way and you learn so much about who you are as a person.
One thing I will say is that you have to motivated and really want to change, because it is only YOU that can change yourself.