5.0 out of 5 stars Video Game entertainment at its very best!
Video Game entertainment at its very best!

Published on 23 May 2010 by Wayne_Clapham

3.0 out of 5 stars Clear and business-like, with an emphasis on business
As a life-long player of video games, I was happy to discover Tristan Donovan's book 'Replay', which promised a solid and entertaining general history of the people and technology behind the rather dry business of videogame production.

I did enjoy the book, with reservations, and I'll explain why.

First of all, I'll be clear - outside of articles in...
Published on 24 Jun 2010 by Kennedy

5.0 out of 5 stars Video Game entertainment at its very best!, 23 May 2010
This review is from: Replay: The History of Video Games (Paperback)
Video Game entertainment at its very best!

I have certain nostalgia for the days of monochrome video games. Endless hours locked in a room watching a white square bounce across a screen controlled with two `paddles', later Sunday mornings in the pub with 10p to play the space invaders. I therefore approached this book with a degree of expectation; and was not disappointed.

Tristan Donovan's book explores the growth and development in games from their scientific origins through the multi million marketing budgets of today's epics. The book also does so much more, investigating the social and economic drivers of the market as well as the technological enablers. It also happens to be funny, entertaining and very well written.

Replay will be of as much interest and entertainment to a student of sociology or cultural anthropologist as it will to us 40-something `Geeks' with a longing for the golden times of video gaming.

A great book - highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars A comprehensive and entertaining read., 22 Sep 2010
For anyone considering this book, or it's closest competitor (that I've seen) "The ultimate history of video games.", my advice would be to buy this one. This book gives a much broader story of the development of video games, with much more in depth details of European developments (British, French and the Demo scene are well covered). As well as some things I had not previously encountered (having been a gamer for 30 odd years and following retro games for about a decade), like Hasbro's aborted Nemo VHS based console.

There are a few error I've spotted (The protagonist in Half Life is GORDON Freeman, not George). But a few quibbles aside an enjoyable and enlightening book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what you want if want a book about the history of video games!, 21 May 2012
M. Sowden (Plymouth, UK) - See all my reviews
I was searching for a book about the history of video games and after reading a few samples I plumped for this one. I haven't been disappointed. I particularly like the way it covers all the international video games market and not just the US and UK markets. I would love an interactive version of this book as I'm constantly switching between my Kindle app and the YouTube app to see videos of the games the author is talking about!

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 31 Aug 2011
Mr. S. Bonser "slappy" (UK by the Sea) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Replay: The History of Video Games (Paperback)
This book brought back some good memories. But the background and history to the games and games companies is a real eye opener. I seriously couldn't put it down. If anyone remembers playing space invaders the first time round they will enjoy this book. Well written and in a fairly comprehsive time line it tells the video game story from the early days up to presentish day. A damn good read at a good price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I hoped for!, 16 Jan 2014
This review is from: Replay: The History of Video Games (Paperback)
I bought this for my husband for Christmas and he was thrilled! He said the reading is heavy, but it is very full of historical info. Perfect for any die hard gamer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 22 Nov 2013
This review is from: Replay: The History of Video Games (Paperback)
This is a really good book for lovers of video games, who have an interest in how it all came about. I haven't quite finished it yet, but have read enough to know it is really interesting. I bought it to research Mel Croucher and his software industry, which includes Deus Ex Machina, (of which he has a new release waiting in the wings complete with his own book, etc), and was not disappointed. This book covers so much video games history, it really is a great buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read for a kid from the 80s, 23 Aug 2013
Sukhster (Plumstead, London, UK) - See all my reviews
I haven't read a book for ages, but I couldn't put this down. I remember the Pong Games, but the start of video games for me was on the ZX Spectrum and arcade machines in the local chippy.

This book covers most of the games that I grew up, with the history behind them and the lead up the Video Games scene in 201Xs.

A great read, and I would hearty recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A well-researched book, 23 July 2013
G. D. Kendall (UK) - See all my reviews
I actually enjoyed reading this from a business perspective, as so many of the early games were created and sold by small working partnerships - it's good to see how you can have an idea and then make some decent money out of making it happen, whether or not that was your original intention.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining for anyone and useful for Media Studies teachers, 9 July 2013
M. Gillibrand "mabgilli" (Leicester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Replay: The History of Video Games (Paperback)
I teach the video games industry to yr13 students and ordered this and a few other academic texts to use and I have to say that not only was this the best and most useful for teaching, but also an extremely interesting and entertaining book in its own right. If you have any interest in the subject matter this is the book for you, from the birth of the video game to the modern consoles and massive global appeal. Each chapter has its own theme yet create a chronological narrative history. The interviews come out with insight you wouldn't otherwise get. I particularly liked the chapters on European, Russian and Korean games industries; as these are often neglected in favour the bigger Japanese and American developers. The chapter on the UK's industry of the 80s was also very funny and informative.

5.0 out of 5 stars 1 Up, 2 Jun 2012
Deeply impressive examination of video game creation, culture and commerce. Scholarly in approach and scope its global perspective is particularly satisfying. Loads of great anecdotes too e.g. the end of Ultima Online's beta - a real paradigm shift. The shout to Jon Savage in the acknowledgements makes complete sense and Donovan's writing deserves to be considered in the same breath. Highly recommended.

Replay: The History of Video Games
Replay: The History of Video Games by Tristan Donovan (Paperback - 20 April 2010)