Format: Paperback|Change

Gloriously comprehensive book on these beautiful creatures.
I have mostly been interested in butterflies until a recent expedition to a watery park in Sussex, where I found myself surrounded by dragonflies (or possibly damselflies as I found out from this book...) and took some (to my eyes) beautiful photographs of these delicate creatures.

I trekked through the Amazon suggestions for a book on dragonflies - and this was one of the top two books recommended.
Then I noticed that the artist is the amazing Richard Lewington (of butterfly fame - check out the seminal "Butterflies of Britain and Ireland") so that made my choice for me.

And I am not disappointed - lots of detail on the life cycle of these beauties, their habitats and page after page of pictures and drawings of every single one found in our islands.

A whole new hobby :-)
on 24 April 2015
I wanted to identify the dragonflies and damselflies I see when in the countryside. My main interest is birding but I know many birders are getting interested in these relatively large and conspicuous insects.

The book came up to all my expectations and I'm looking forward to getting to grips with them this summer.
VINE VOICEon 29 March 2015
If you are looking for an informative book on British Dragonflies then this is for you. I am impressed with the quality of the information in this filed guide. The drawings and diagrams of dragonflies are very clear and detailed. Its packed with information concerning the life cycle and habits of dragonflies and damselflies.I cant wait to use it throughout the year. Its ideal for carrying in a spare large pocket or rucksack when you are out in the field. I photograph dragonflies as a hobby and I think this book will help me enormously find and identify these beautiful insects.
This book covers all British species of dragonfly and damselfly, including species now extinct and others known only as vagrants. Its illustrations (multiple views of each species) are excellent, with enough detail (and accompanying text) to satisfy the most rigorous observer, and the distribution maps are extremely useful for knowing whether a species is likely to occur in a particular area.

The descriptions are (necessarily) somewhat technical at times; users can expect to learn a number of new words... such as pterostigma, pruinescence, pronotum, etc... but a diagram and glossary are provided.

The only (minor) shortcoming is a lack of direct comparison between similar species. Though each species description does include a Similar Species section, a number of species could usefully be pictured side-by-side for purposes of immediately highlighting differences.
on 22 February 2015
Fantastic book - I love dragonflies and damselflies and this book will help me to understand more about these amazing creatures - very informative and I'am sure this guide will be a great help to me on my walks around a lake near my home.
on 28 August 2015
An absolute necessity for any dragonfly enthusiast. The introductory sections are lucid and packed with useful information. The painted illustrations are crystal-clear - perhaps better than photographs - and enable the reader to spot definitive features where there are similar species. Quite apart from its primary function as an aid to identification, this book is a splendid volume both aesthetically and as a prompt for conservation issues.
on 14 August 2015
Absolutely superb with lots of information and a great introduction to this sphere of natural history.
on 9 August 2015
Exemplary book brilliantly illustrated and quite definitive.
on 2 January 2016
Thank you my friend really enjoyed,this book and it arrived in time for her birthday
on 10 October 2015