5.0 out of 5 stars outrageously funny
I didn't know what to make of this book at first, but then I realised what I had in my hand was a powerful, emotive and explosive book written by a man who is clearly passionate about his subject, but more then that - the book was hilarious!! I would simply love to have someone like Billy Connolly read this book out loud and I'm sure it would bring the house down. Reading...
Published on 27 Oct 2010 by Andrew Carruth

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad bad bad
So badly written it's shocking. I honestly can't understand why this book got so many rave reviews. The humour is bad and clumsy, homophobic, sexist, trying too hard to be funny and falling way short, and the references are often obscure and only relevant to the writer. There's repetition all the way through, evidence of an extreme lack of good editing. It has all the...
Published 6 months ago by A. R. Murray

‹ Previous | 15 6 7 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A must read!, 26 Mar 2013
stevieB (Derby, U..K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: God Hates You, Hate Him Back: Making Sense of the Bible (Revised International Edition) (Paperback)
a well written and well researched book,God Hates you,is not ireverent for the sake of it -but for those interested in reason above ancient supperstitions,this book simply hi-lites the absurdity and continual contradictions that are glaringly obvious when reading through the bible with rationality.A good novelty of the book,is the "Running total" of deaths directly attributable to the "Loving god" at the end of each chapter!Highly recomended for those interested in truth!

5.0 out of 5 stars incredible read!, 25 Mar 2013
An amazing book that really provides a critical and hilarious view on the bible. Passages are quoted verbatim to outline the absurdity that so many believers follow to this day. The author makes the book entertaining throughout and makes reading it highly addictive. This is my first review on a book in a long time yet because of its sheer enjoyment i thought it would be a sin not to write one

4.0 out of 5 stars Only the Title prevents a 5-star Rating, 25 Mar 2013
Lionel Beck (North Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a book that should be read by as many people as possible. It reveals the Bible to be about 90% fictitious nonsense, with full chapter and verse references so you can check it for yourself. It is also written with a good deal of humour. I would have given the book a 5-star rating, but the title is an immediate turn-off for the very people who should be reading it, i.e., committed Christians and Judaists. Their beliefs are so deep-rooted that seeing the statement "God hates you, hate him back" is so outrageous as to turn away from the book in disgust, which is cause for regret. This book (and others like it) have prompted me to re-visit my "Holy" Bible with my brain fully engaged, and the supreme irony is that the more I read it the more atheistic I become!

5.0 out of 5 stars title needs help.., 16 Mar 2013
Dawn (BRIDGWATER, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is a really good, well written book that seems trite based on the title. I almost passed it up bit am so glad I didn't. Werleman has a great style of writing and his insights into this aspect of religion are first rate. Also extremely readable for the average person like myself. Got it for my Kindle but will probably buy a real copy so I can turn down the corner of pages and underline bits!
Read it and learn...

5.0 out of 5 stars A first-class critique of the bible, 2 Feb 2013
Dr. C. D. Connaughton (London, London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is a first-class critique of the bible. The author goes through the whole bible thoughtfully and carefully from beginning to end, including the letters of Paul, and shows clearly the serious faults in its credibility and its value. He has also done background research to put these writings into context.

This is a major contribution to ones understanding and knowledge of the bible and is an excellent accompaniment to Werleman's other book, 'Jesus Lied - He Was Only Human'.

I would recommend this book to both believers and non-believers alike.

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly too flippant, 24 May 2012
I am an atheist, angry at all the harmful things being done in the name of religion. I am a huge fan of Dawkins, and this book is nowhere near his standard. The author's asides are crass and childish - when you have a book like the bible that is so full of evil and cruel actions by people acting in the name of a god you don't need to labour the point. The author brings out all the errors and contradictions in the bible, then spoils it with immature jibes. This book does little to help christians to realise how deluded their beliefs are - what a shame.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for annoying Christian friends, 28 May 2012
I found this very readable even if he stretches some of his conclusions to breaking point. He references 3 excellent quotes in the bible to show how women were second class citizens and not even allowed to speak in church.

If there is a God this book will help you to realise that it is not the God of the bible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the Humor!, 21 Dec 2011
Funny as well as informative! When I read this, I felt like I was on a tour bus and the author was the tour guide pointing out the sites and cracking jokes.

5.0 out of 5 stars About the most evil (and hilarious) book ever written, 4 Mar 2013
SAP (Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Classic!

I'm glad the author quotes the New International Version (NIV) of the Bible, because, stripped of its archaic English, and rendered in everyday English, like you and I speak, the Bible loses all of its mystique and power - it just sounds simplistic, childish and silly.

I can't somehow imagine the Bishop of London quoting the NIV at the Cenotaph in Whitehall as he would sound like a simpleton!

I won't even mention the contradictions - some in the same paragraph never mind between chapters! - because these are well-known.

But seriously, this book taught me more about the Bible than anything else ever has. I gleaned the information rather than memorised it - I know basically what the Bible is about now and who supposedly wrote it.

But this Kindle version desperately needs to be edited better. It is full of dumb mistakes, like randomly changing names rendering the given sentence to be meaningless.

Like when Saul was talking to David and then suddenly DAVID, carrying on Saul's message, said something to David, which, by its context was obviously supposed to be SAUL said to David. I know Biblical people talk to themselves a lot (perhaps ergot poisoning or magic mushrooms?) but from certain contexts it is clear some editor messed up... many times.

Also the author doesn't know when to use 'who' and when 'that' like in:

"Those that [sic] don't believe are sent for torture for the duration of eternity" - p. 253.

This happens, I'm not joking, many dozens of times.

Another puzzling mistake:

"You opt to take the chemotherapy that your doctor is recommending and as this god awful remedy of radiation exposure [sic] begins..." - p. 200.

Doesn't he mean radiotherapy?

And:

"It is from this incredibly odd passage that us [sic] rationalists often bear witness to..." - p. 219.

Should be 'we'.

And one thing I would like to think is true, to massage my own ego, but I think has been disproven by many other people is this statistic that the author quotes:

"A demographic statistic that continues to run 2,000 years later, where the correlation of increased eduction equates to reduced religiosity..." - p. 255.

Which would, if it were true, mean the smarter you are the less likely you are to be religious. But I think that this has been shown to be untrue. I think the current understanding is that belief comes BEFORE rationalisation of that belief. Smart people are just more able to explain their belief in God. They didn't choose God by rational means.

But this book is utterly hilarious. Worth every penny.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mildly amusing, 11 Nov 2012
D. Rice "Belstane" (Kirknewton, Midlothian United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Repetitively pejorative and short of intelligent observation. I'm well minded to go along with the bulk of what this is attacking because most of the bible (or the Koran) is pre-historic savagery and stupidity bound up as a belief system but this could have been a much more useful and entertaining document if it hadn't simply been aimed at the intellectually bereft.

‹ Previous | 15 6 7 | Next ›