5.0 out of 5 stars This book is awesome!
Published on 5 May 2010 by Pizor

3.0 out of 5 stars Average
The book is not bad but it does not come with anything surprising rather a summary of the already well known places in london (zoo, natural history museum, etc)
Published on 30 Sept. 2012 by Frank

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is awesome!, 5 May 2010
Pizor (London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: London Unlocked (Unlocked Guides) (Paperback)
This has to be the best guide book for kids, not because it has tons of kid centered activities but because it's actually a kids book. Whereas most city tour books are written for parents though about child friendly activities, this book is written for school aged children which not only makes it unique, but lots of fun! I gave it to my six year old who literally sat down and read it from cover to cover.

The book is broken down into the different areas of London. It then focuses on the best each area has to offer, such as museums and parks, but it also mentions a few fun places to eat (it doesn't really cover restaurants at all so it would not replace a proper guidebook), fun things to see (such as the street performers at Covent Garden and a lot of other hands on activities. Each two page spread features only one sight so the child isn't overwhelmed with info. The is a brief description of the sight to see, a few beautiful color photos and then some quick factoids as well as some really bad jokes which my daughter thought were hilarious. At the bottom of each page is a rating system - 5 stars for awesome and 1 star for really bad. In the back of the book are 2 pages of gold stars your child can use while they see the sights so they can mark which ones they liked and which they didn't. On the opposite page is a little box they can tick to say if they want to see the sight or if they'd rather skip it all together. That alone really got my daughter excited and drew her into the book, i think because it immediately became something in her control versus me telling her what I wanted to see. She could tell me what she found interesting or not worth her time. The only trouble with that was she ended up ticking almost every box in the book! But there are worse dilemmas a parent could have.

Towards the end of the book, they cover a few fun places just outside of London, such as Windsor Castle or Legoland. They also have Top 5s, top 5 places to run around, top 5 places to eat and top 5 things to spot in London. This last one seems really fun because they give you a few things to keep an eye out as you walk through the city, such as a taxi stand or street art. more original then just spotting black cabs or double decker buses. They even tell you about the dragons that protect the city and tell you where to find them! But there are lots more Top 5s as well.

There's also a fun section Across London which explains fun different ways to cross the city. By boat, by tube, by duck!?! And for sports fans, they also list different fun sporty activities such as running through a premier league players tunnel among other activities.

This book was such much fun to read! As soon as my daughter finished reading it, she asked if she could read it again and then take in into school for show-and-tell (the highest form of flattery my daughter can offer). I enjoyed reading it with her (the factoids were fascinating and I found plenty of things I didn't already know about even though I've lived in London for a decade) but the best part of the book was reading it along side my daughter and watching her get so excited while planning our new adventures. This book is truly a joy and a delight to read on your own or with kids. And if my daughter is any judge, your child will hopefully enjoy it as much as she did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential for every living in London or just visiting!, 20 May 2010
This review is from: London Unlocked (Unlocked Guides) (Paperback)
I've never come across any guidebook that combines the essential usefulness that you want from a guidebook with the sense of fun and discovery you want from a holiday. Well, this one does it! And that's not just if you're putting yourself in the shoes of a child. I think most adults will get a kick out of this and end up using it a lot more than their so-called 'grown-up' guidebooks.

It's full of jokes and inside info, plus titbits of trivia that aren't too heavy on the history, but add that vital touch of colour and character to your visit. Next time I'm exploring London I'll be leaving my preconceptions at home (along with all my old guidebooks) and I'll just let this fantastic treat of a book take me through the city and show it to me through new eyes.

If you ever think you know London, or even that you know the main sights and you've seen it all before, check out this guidebook. Share it with your kids, sure, but don't forget to rediscover the joy of exploring for yourself!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great discovery, a guide book for kids themselves, 5 April 2011
Jo Bennie (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: London Unlocked (Unlocked Guides) (Paperback)
I have the Edinburgh guidebook from this series and was so impressed I got the London one too for our next visit at Easter. I wasn't disappointed. This colourful book is amazing, it's both about children's activities and written for children themselves.

For six different areas of London, beginning with Central and moving outwards, you are invited to do something, for instance, Stare a TRex in the Eye ... at the Natural History Museum. Each activity is given a double page spread which gives fascinating facts about the activity, top tips, jokes, other things to include in your visit, photo opportunities, and a 5 star sticker scoring section with gold stars included at the back of the book. In the bottom right of each page is address information including the closest tube station, opening dates and times, a coding system showing whether the place has a shop, cafe, is good for wet weather, and whether there are height restrictions and a pricing indicator from FREE through £(cheap as chips), and ££ (cheap as fish and chips) to £££ (not cheap at all). At the end of the book are a set of top fives (top five places to shop for toys and sweets, markets, run around etc) and a parent page.

Completely recommended, everything you need for a holiday that allows you to stay within your budget and whilst giving you full details of all the major attractions also includes the more obscure delights of the capital city.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great kid's guide to London, 16 Jan. 2011
Parents in Touch - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: London Unlocked (Unlocked Guides) (Paperback)
This is one of the best books I have reviewed! It is a brilliant guidebook to London, aimed at children, and it will do a wonderful job of enthusing them to visit the sights - both famous and less well-known. I found many places and activities in here I have never thought of. Presented in the style of a conventional guidebook, there are 60 super places to visit, all with an outline of the fascinating activities available. Tips, facts, how to plan your visit and stickers to remind you how good it was. Design your own coat of arms; drive a tube train and much, much more. Not only an essential guide for those visiting London, but a great book for all children, to familiarise them with the marvels of our capital city. Plenty of inspiration for parents when planning a day out, so not just a children's book. A well-produced book, this is excellent value for its wealth of inspiring information - very highly recommended. There are lots more in the series too - check them out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for planning a trip to London with or without children!, 13 July 2010
MSZ "MSZ" (Firenze, Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: London Unlocked (Unlocked Guides) (Paperback)
London Unlocked is a travel guide that allows parents to have a nice travel abroad with joyful children! Full of ideas to visit London in a children-friendly way.

5.0 out of 5 stars The London Book for Children, 17 May 2011
This review is from: London Unlocked (Unlocked Guides) (Paperback)
My son loves reading this book. He keeps on telling me facts which after having lived and worked in London I never knew.Very easy to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent London book for children., 11 Aug. 2014
This review is from: London Unlocked (Unlocked Guides) (Paperback)
Brilliant book which we are still using each time we visit London. Trying to cross off all the activities along the way but as there are so many different things to do this may take a while but it will be good fun doing it.. Definite purchase if you have young children and are planning a visit to London anytime.

5.0 out of 5 stars entertaining and full of facts, 14 Mar. 2012
P. Town "philiptown" (Germany) - See all my reviews
This review is from: London Unlocked (Unlocked Guides) (Paperback)
I bought this book on a whim as it sounded different to the typical London guides available. I wasn't exactly thinking of children when I found it, but I hoped it would not be as staid and humdrum as other guidebooks.

Well, my hopes were fulfilled as this book is enchanting - a perfect way to make a trip to and around London exciting and even a little unusual. I may not need the stars for the individual activities on offer,but I was stunned and amused by the things I had not even thought about, like the roof garden in Kensington with the four well-named flamingos.

I heartily recommend this work to everyone who thinks they know it all when they head to London and to those who want to discover more unusual things about the Big City.

3.0 out of 5 stars Average, 30 Sept. 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for any age!, 28 July 2010
C. Connolly (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: London Unlocked (Unlocked Guides) (Paperback)
Although this guide is aimed at an under 12 audience I would guess, on a recent visit to London my 17-year old niece loved it to bits! I have also taken a few ideas out of it myself for things to do without children! As the book says, 'Don't be boring... Go exploring!'

London Unlocked (Unlocked Guides)
London Unlocked (Unlocked Guides) by Tessa Girvan (Paperback - 1 May 2010)