5.0 out of 5 stars Was it the Bovril?
I can't work out from this book whether Mr Mowbray's biggest passion is for football or Bovril. Anyway, I suspect all that Bovril has had an effect on his sanity. Surely you have to be a bit mad to spend many freezing cold hours standing watching loads of relatively unimportant football games.

However, I'm glad he did, whatever his motivation, because the...
Published 16 months ago by David Farrow

3.0 out of 5 stars Failed to meet expectations
As an exiled Yorkshireman and (small scale) ground hopper myself I was looking forward to this book but found it rather boring. The format of the narratives is too similar.
Published 8 months ago by John Sanderson

5.0 out of 5 stars Was it the Bovril?, 9 Dec 2012
David Farrow "doa-dave" (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Route 66: A Journey Around the Football Grounds of Yorkshire (Paperback)

However, I'm glad he did, whatever his motivation, because the result, apart from a Bovril addiction, is this very entertaining book, which I can heartily reccommend to anyone who is interested in football or Yorkshire or indeed what makes people do strange things like want to visit lots of run-down football grounds in as short a time as possible.

Well done Mr Mowbray, even if you are a bit barmy.

5.0 out of 5 stars The real Route 66, 19 Jan 2013
Brilliant read aswell as an inspiration for football fans everywhere.

Must have for any real football fan following football at all levels.

As a yorkshireman I will try to emulate this journey. Although having just come back from the match today I may have to invest in some more gloves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply brilliant, best book I've read this year, 27 Nov 2012
Firstly, this review may be a little biased as the author writes about my favourite subject, football, and about my favourite county, Yorkshire, but please do not let those facts get in the way of this review as I read an awful lot of books covering everything from war, travel, novels, sport, biographies,etc.

This book is the best football book I have read in a long time, possibly ever. Forget Cole, Gerrard, Lampard et al, this book describes what football is all about, the passion, the fans, the players, the volunteers, the people who make football what it really is about. The idea is for Mr Mowbray to travel to all 66 registered football grounds in Yorkshire from step 7 of the non league football pyramid (10 leagues lower than premier league, I think) up to the championship (unfortunately no Yorkshire teams in premiership). The descriptions and the honesty is what makes this book so great, he doesn't just praise every single club he goes to, he admits he is in a bad mood when visiting, and if he likes the club he goes to, all the better.

I personally didn't think it would be possible to do in a season, especially as a lot of Saturdays are ruled out as he is also a season ticket holder at Elland Road (boo hiss!) however with a complicated spreadsheet that he thankfully doesn't go into too much detail with, he does this. There are some grey areas such as Guisborough and other "Cleveland" clubs, but this is explained in the book by helpful emails from other sources.

It is a must for anybody who has even the remotest interest in football. It made me laugh out load in many places, I could not put it down once it was in my hand, and drove my wife nuts as I ignored her for the best part of three days! One point I must mention is that this is the first book mr Mowbray has wrote, for a debut, it is brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Start of the Journey, 23 Feb 2013
Having finished my journey around Yorkshire footballs grounds I was left wanting more.This is an excellent book and one that shows that real football is not about the Premier League as the media would have us believe. Football is alive and kicking at grass roots levels. I would recommend this book to anyone who is looking for some escapism. Be warned though it will make you want to dig out this seasons Non League Directory.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book for people who love football, Yorkshire and Bovril, 2 Feb 2013
If you're a football fan like me who has an interest in different football grounds, then this book is for you! A brilliant and funny account of one mans quest to visit all 66 football grounds in Yorkshire from the NPower Championship down to Step 7 in non-league. The stories along the way are well worth getting the book alone! It also has a dual purpose as it may server as a decent reference book for those wanting to start the ground hopping phenomenon.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Interactive Read, 20 Jan 2013
This book has rekindled my love for non-league football, specifically Ossett Town FC (@OssettTownAFC).

MJ Mowbray has captured the feeling of non-league football perfectly, where the minority of football fans follow the majority of football clubs.

I think my enjoyment of this book was increased as the the author is a twitter user, (@MowbrayRoute66) and I tweeted as I read and got responses directly from him.

***UPDATED*** December 2013

When I got this book about a year ago I was just returning to watch Ossett Town having been a regular in previous years.

Rather than just support the club I wanted to be a part of it and started by getting to know the committee, I offered to take some photos to be used in the programme and website and that turned into contributing copy for the programme and then in the summer I decided I would become the programme editor.

Yes, to make it worthwhile a lot of time and effort is needed but moy love of non-league and specifically Ossett Town made it worthwhile.

A couple of months ago was the clubs AGM, I had decided to put my name down for a committee place - and came out as club secretary, little old me with a bit of influence over the running of a football club.

It is a wonderful experience and all started after readign this book.

You should too, your non-league club needs you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking read, 11 Jan 2013
Really enjoyed this book as football is something I enjoy very much and recently started sampling the delights of non league football.
The mission was all 66 Yorkshire grounds in one season down to step 7, a great challenge! Nice to read about grounds I'd been too aswell as grounds I never knew existed. Written in such a way that the story never gets repetitive an is fully of humorous stories.
Would recommend this book to any football fan!

5.0 out of 5 stars Get Stuck In, 16 Dec 2012
I Titled my review Get Stuck In because that's exactly what the Author does from the first line of the book, to the last. We all know the term to Get Stuck In is to get your hands dirty to get in among them to say I will not be defeated mentality, and that's exactly the feel Michael Mowbray gives you and makes you want to read on and on and see what's round the next corner so to speak and in turn for him to basically stick up for the underdog that is grassroots warts'n' all non league football.Wether Mr Mowbray is playing piggy in the middle with his sons,at same time as taking in the game, while people watching, Director/Chairman n groundsman 'n tea lady iterviewing,Pukka pie chasing and pin badge finding, this really is a must for you footy fans and beyond.Yes it really is a brilliantly,witty, informative get your boots wet feel cold and warm in equal measures with the author type of book,you are there - your minds eye will not fail to take you. Yo ho ho great first book from Mr Mowbray look forward to his next installment, please buy it I'm sure you will not be disapointed, but will feel totally invigorated and refreshed at the sheer earthiness and Yorkshireness and footballiness of it all, I rest my case.

5.0 out of 5 stars Route 66, 9 Dec 2012
M J Mowbray provides us with a fascinating record of his trips around the Broad Acres visitng every football ground down to step 7 in the non-league pyramid.

Tales of matches where there are more chips on his plate than spectators and desperate searches for lost children as well as cups of Bovril make this far more than a dull narrative of football games.

In this modern age of wall-to-wall football coverage it is heart warming to know that clubs which have been part of their communities for decades still have people ready to devote their time to ensure they survive.

This book is deserving recognition for their efforts; if it inspires a few more people to wander down to watch these clubs and appreciate it's not all about flash cars, bling and rollling around feigning injury then that can only be a positive.

If you too wish to follow in the footsteps of this madness a website [...] is available for you to record your efforts and become a member of 'the club.'

Great book, well worth the read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable!, 16 Nov 2012
Cracking read for football and non-football fans alike. Think Nick Hornby visiting all of Yorkshire's football grounds in one season and you're almost there. I really enjoyed it and the author is obviously a bit of a character!

ARRAY(0xa1b604a4)

Route 66: A Journey Around the Football Grounds of Yorkshire
Route 66: A Journey Around the Football Grounds of Yorkshire by M.J. Mowbray (Paperback - 15 Nov 2012)
15.99