5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for a biginner.
Published 18 months ago by R. Sharma

2.0 out of 5 stars Definitely Not for Beginners
Published 8 months ago by Mr. J. T. O'ROURKE

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for a biginner., 27 Sept. 2013
R. Sharma (Sweden) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clock Repair, a Beginner's Guide (Paperback)
I have just received this book and having read half of the content, I can certainly say that this writer does a very good job of explaining how the different stages of clock repairing, for example, taking apart, cleaning, oiling, re-bushing, handling of main spring, setting of chime, re assembly etc is done, and in a very simple language. It really is a beginners guide as he says himself. I would have preferred a much more detailed introductory chapter on the clock parts with lots of photos and drawings. For example, he does not even mention the parts of a weight driven clocks. The introductory chapter is too short for a true beginner. A slightly expanded chapter on "tools and material" explaining how we could make simple tools and use them would have been even better. On the whole this is a very good book and unlike other books on clock making he addresses it to the non professional clock maker and he sees the need for them, if we are to rescue these clocks from ending in the dump site because we can not afford the services of a professional clock maker every two to three years.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for beginner's, 4 April 2013
This review is from: Clock Repair, a Beginner's Guide (Paperback)
I cannot belive how i managed before i bought this book now can't start a project without looking at the book first 100% good buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A BOOK WHICH IS A MUST FOR A BEGINNER, 4 April 2013
This review is from: Clock Repair, a Beginner's Guide (Paperback)
i found i could refer to this book for information while working on a clock 100% satisfied a must for all beginner's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great place to start., 24 Jun. 2013
Mr. M. Loughran "drwhobang" (edinburgh, scotland, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clock Repair, a Beginner's Guide (Paperback)
Great little book. Ideal for the beginner. Gives just the right amount of information without getting too technical. I have found this book very useful and it's a great place to start for the beginner, just the right amount of detail.

2.0 out of 5 stars Definitely Not for Beginners, 19 July 2014
This review is from: Clock Repair, a Beginner's Guide (Paperback)
Disappointed. I am beginner. I have a partly dismantled clock. I expected the book to show the various cogs and wheels, explain their purpose and show me, clearly, how they all fitted together. Instead, I got a section drawing, then a photograph of all the actual parts as a group, prior to, and after cleaning. When it comes to reassembly, precise instructions are given for reassembling the spring (irrelevant for my weight-driven clock) and then says 'the ..wheelwork can then be replaced in the backplate of the movement as shown in figure 26'. Figure 26 is a photo of it all reassembled. Presto, job done! Wheelwork, incidentally, comprises all the wheels and cogs. So unless you know where all the wheels and cogs went in the first place and/or photographed every single step, this book will not be much help. Definitely not for complete beginners.

5.0 out of 5 stars easy clock repair, 27 July 2013
This review is from: Clock Repair, a Beginner's Guide (Paperback)
My mum had an old clock she'd had for years and as far as I can remember it hadn't ever worked.So I bought this book by Ian Beilby, took it apart and gave the 'movement' a clean as per his instructions, then put it together again and adjusted it and hey presto it worked!That was six months ago and it's been going ever since. I had never fixed a clock before and I couldn't have done it without Mr Beilby's excellent instructions. Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book, shame about printing and delivery., 25 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Clock Repair, a Beginner's Guide (Paperback)
Would have been 5 stars if the drawing and photos had not disappeared into the binding! + I bought 2 books off this company, paid for 2 x post. Both book arrived together in a real flimsy plastic wrapper!

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear and straightforward, 25 July 2013
This review is from: Clock Repair, a Beginner's Guide (Paperback)
I agree with the other reviewers. I came across this book six months ago and I still dip into it nearly every day. I don't know how I'd have managed without it. The guy that wrote it is a genius. Everything is so clear and straightforward and if there's anything you don't get first time there's loads of photographs and drawings backing up the text. If you want to get started fixing clocks this is the book for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book!!!!!!, 2 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Clock Repair, a Beginner's Guide (Paperback)
I purchased this book thinking it would be "an idiots guide" I was so wrong. The book is easy to follow and is best read with a clock in front of you, makes referencing easier. Only criticism is that you have to on occasion have to flick back or forth to relate text to pictures.

4.0 out of 5 stars Yet to try anything out in practise yet but just ..., 8 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Clock Repair, a Beginner's Guide (Paperback)
Yet to try anything out in practise yet but just reading the first chapter has given me a real understanding of how clocks actually work

Clock Repair, a Beginner's Guide
Clock Repair, a Beginner's Guide by Ian Beilby (Paperback - 28 Oct. 2010)
Used & New from: £9.95