Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 August 2010
I got this book on Thursday, and didn't put it down until I finished it this morning (Saturday). It was totally engrossing, very readable, and had me laughing and crying. In fact I felt so emotional during part of it I had to put it down for a whole two minutes before having to pick it up again. Not many books have given me goosebumps so often.

Reading a real life account of surviving such a devastating accident was traumatising enough, I can't imagine what it must have been like for this man and his family.

I don't tend to watch dramas about the police, but even if I did I can't imagine that many would give such a clear picture of what it's like to be out there on the beat from the copper's point of view as this book does.

I'm looking forward to lending it to my mum, so I'll have someone to talk to about it
on 12 August 2010
An insight into real life policing on the streets of West Yorkshire by a bobby who clearly loved his job. David will have you in stitches with his dry humour as the tales unfold.

His observations and reflections of the sadder side of life in the Force wil stir your emotions and you'll find it extremely difficult to put this book down.

The trauma of the accident and subsequent events make fascinating reading as David outlines the hopes and ambitions he has for himself and his family.

His experience has been inspirational and life changing, you will travel this journey with him feeling joy, hope and sadness.
on 25 August 2010
I was given this book as a gift two days before my holiday so I decided I would take it with me - or so I thought. I picked it up and read the first page and I was hooked! I couldn`t put it down, so much so that I had finished the book before my holiday!
It is such a facinating read very emotional yet very funny and brilliantly written! I defy anyone who reads this book not to like it, superb!
on 4 August 2012
If you are looking for a quick read that will take you back to what policing was like in the 1980's, then this is the book for you. If you want a heart-on-your-sleeve, real life story about overcoming adversity you will love this. A short book, but all the better for it. No waffle. Just an honest copper's tale that will take you through the whole gamit of human emotions.
on 21 August 2012
An enjoyable read which was hard to put down once I picked it up. It had a mixture of memories of Policing in the 80's/90's. Some funny, some sad and some that just made made you think. The account of the accident was well written. Factual but interesting and ends on what in my opinion is a positive note. Looking forward to reading the next book.
on 13 July 2012
I read this book in Tenerife 2010 and finished it in 3 days. Once started I could not put it down, I found it amusing, sad and totally gripping. I know the author and to be perfectly honest you could not meet a nicer or more genuine person. He has a new book out and I cannot wait to get a copy and get stuck into it. Dave, you are a legend.
on 17 March 2012
I read this book in 2 days. The content of the book goes through the authors highs and lows within his career and personal life..it is well written ( as were his statements when he was in the job) and I am looking forward to Part 2.

Well worth buying - and if you knew the author, trying to place the characters within the book.
on 19 March 2012
I picked this book up at 4.30 in the afternoon and had read it by 11.20 at night. I really enjoyed reading this, David highlighted very well the black humour and the awful situations that our British bobbys deal with every day. I take my hat off to you Dave, good job! I wait with baited breath for the next installment.
on 27 April 2012
I enjoyed reading this book from cover to cover. This true-life book is gritty, dark humoured and compelling to the point where when I reached the end I wanted to read more. This is one man's steel journey showing the shocking sharp end of the Police Force then devastating twist that encapsulates the heart.
on 30 July 2012
I, like "Simmo" know the author, and agree entirely with his review comments. I couldn't put the book down and read it in less that 2 days. An incredible story teller, with an fantastic story to tell, and it's all fact, not fiction. Can't wait for the follow-on volumes.