5.0 out of 5 stars Church History As You've Never Seen It!
Published on 6 July 2010 by Christine A. Eldridge

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read but don't expect too much
Published on 25 Aug. 2009 by Miss H. M. Searle

5.0 out of 5 stars Church History As You've Never Seen It!, 6 July 2010
Christine A. Eldridge (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How the Church Lost the Way: And How it Can Find it Again (Paperback)
Church history can be rather dull & dry but Steve Maltz guides us through many hundreds of years at quite a galloping pace to show how decisions our church forefathers made many years ago affect us today This is a very easy book to read yet quite profound as Steve shows how the church once known as followers of the Way after Jesus' death & resurrection was gradually influenced by Greek thinking & over many years lost it's Hebraic roots. It's very punchy & down to earth, yet eye opening as to how Greek philosophy has affected church thinking even before many of us present day Christians were born. It encourages the reader to reconsider why we do things certain ways in the church & challenges us to return to our Hebraic roots & what the Bible teaches. I found it very hard to put down!

5.0 out of 5 stars Could be the most important book you have read this year, 24 July 2011
J McMurdo (Northern England) - See all my reviews
The blurb on the book may well be right - it could be the most important book you will read this year!

The central message of the book is HUGE. I am still thinking through the implications of the book now. The way we `do church' is largely based on Greek philosophy rather than scripture. You do not have to read far into the book to realise who the real villain of the peace is. St Augustine of Hippo!!! This man, revered by Catholics and reformed Christians alike, helped finish a long process of uprooting Christian theology from its Jewish roots and mixeing it with the philosophy of Plato.

I find it very odd that many Calvinists, who (quite rightly) work hard at defending the faith against false teachers who compromise the Christian message seem to have a complete blind spot where it comes to Augustine. This is probably because he had a profound influence on both Luther and Calvin, particularly with regard to the doctrines of predestination and the helplessness of man. And yet his writings were riddled with theological error.

The first few chapters are very similar to David Pawson's sermon series `DeGreecing the Church' - in fact I was left wondering which one had cribbed the others' notes.

The book explores many of the implications of returning to a biblical worldview, such as how to interpret scripture (more literally, less allegorically), how to teach scripture (more interactively), where to meet and worship (in the home among the family, not just in church) and how to view God (knowing His ways, relating to Him, not just philosophising about His nature). It could have definitely gone further. I would have liked a discussion on education, for example, which has surely been hugely affected by Greek methods.

He could have also gone much further to spell out more of Augustine's false teachings - such as the irrevocable nature of Holy Orders (and the abuse of the `laity' this has led to for centuries) and the Anti Semitism of many of the church fathers (and the shameful record of the church, both Catholic and Reformed) for centuries.

Maltz's style is slightly disorderly, but very conversational and quite witty at times. I recommend this book if you want serious food for thought.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book for our time, 26 May 2009
This is a book that should be read by all who claim to be 'Christian' and every Jew who still refuses to accept Jesus Christ as the Messiah. The author, an English born Jew who converted to the Christian faith at 31 yrs of age, has done a great service by publishing his view, at a time when there is a real hunger for a revival of moral values and return to the simplicity of the faith, looking instead to cults of all kinds to find The Way, where it cannot be found. Time for deep repentence, Jew and Gentile, and for unity.
Enid Laird (81 yr old Traveller on the Way)

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read but don't expect too much, 25 Aug. 2009
Miss H. M. Searle (Wales) - See all my reviews
After hearing Steve Malz talking about this book on Premier radio, I was keen to buy it as I find discovering the Jewish thinking behind the Bible so helpful, and looked forward to the Greek insights too. This book certainly helped in this respect, although many chapters seemed incomplete: they seemed to scratch the surface and no more,leaving me feeling there was much that hadn't been said that would have been interesting and helpful. Also, while not being over-protective of the Church, much of his description of it I didn't recognise from my own experiences of churches and attitudes of (real) Christians to Jews. Maybe there are churches such as he describes and I just haven't been to them, but I did find his generalisations a bit irksome at times.
Having said that, I found the book interesting, some of the background I certainly didn't know and I will read it again. Maybe my expectations of the book weren't quite in line with its remit.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction..., 21 Sept. 2009
L. Smith (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
I must concur with the first reviewer when he talks about the book seeming to only scratch the surface and to take the reader very shallowly in to a personal challenge of their own Walk with Jesus.

There were numerous places where I, too, felt a little let down by the shallowness of the teaching.

I knew nothing about the book before having it sent to me by a friend so had no expectations. However, I think the book is good for people who have wandered along with denominational interpretations that have been non-Jewish and, worse, have actually cut away from the Jewish culture and background of the Scriptures.

For those of us who are already trying to put the Jewishness back in to the Bible, it's probably not worth reading.

But all books can't be all things to all men. This is a commendable effort.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 27 Sept. 2014
Excellent read, well written in a Jewish style. Does just what it says on the tin, sorry, cover.

How the Church Lost the Way: And How it Can Find it Again
How the Church Lost the Way: And How it Can Find it Again by Steve Maltz (Paperback - 12 May 2009)