5.0 out of 5 stars A must buy for valve guitar amp builders
Expanding on his useful Valve Wizard website, the author spends about the right amount of time on the theory and calculations before moving onto how to practially implement the ideas shown. Taking the signal chain in the amplifier from input to phase inverter, the book also looks at the effects of negative feedback and differing earthing schemes.

One...
Published on 2 Nov 2010 by Priesty

3.0 out of 5 stars Has good points but not for everyone wanting to know about guitar preamp design

As someone with a sideline interest in restoring, designing, building and using guitar amplifiers I looked forward to reading "Designing Tube Preamps for Guitar and Bass" by Merlin Blencowe. I have formal training in electronics at the highest level and have made a career in the area but I am well aware that there are always new things to learn and new...
Published on 26 April 2011 by Martin A

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Resource for Guitar Amp Building, 6 May 2013
This review is from: Designing Tube Preamps for Guitar and Bass (Hardcover)
This book is an excellent resource for anyone who wants to build their own guitar amp projects, or just for getting a better understanding of how things work.

Merlin doesn't get bogged down into maths, but gives excellent explanations of how things work, with plenty of worked examples. However, he includes full references if you need more details.

With the help of this book, and the companion on Power Supplies, I've started building my own amp projects that have worked out as expected.

I highly recommend these books to anyone interested in the subject. Thanks Merlin!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 27 Mar 2013
This review is from: Designing Tube Preamps for Guitar and Bass (Hardcover)
If you want to make your own tube sound this is the book for you. It opened my eyes to how much can be done to get a great sound and also how even today valve amp makers rely too heavily on HiFi design.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE book on Guitar amp design, 31 May 2012
This review is from: Designing Tube Preamps for Guitar and Bass (Hardcover)
I bought this book after building an 18watt amp kit that I bought from Ampmaker.co.uk. After spending quite a while on the 18watt.com forum, this book came up time and time again as the book everyone goes to trouble shoot amp builds and come up with innovative designs to mod their amps.
I agree with many of the reviews that say that this book is not for the absolute beginner but I'm on really a beginner amp builder and I now use this book to help me design my own circuits.
I own many many books on valve amps and this one is the most thorough, the best researched and best written of the lot of them.
If you are planning to build or mod an amp this book is a must!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb book, 29 Aug 2011
F. Lewis (Oslo Norway) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Designing Tube Preamps for Guitar and Bass (Hardcover)
This book is superb and full of very useful information for the hobbyist amp builder and indeed pro. The author has in my opinion been able to give the right amount of theory and math coupled with a very good explanation of the various circuits, there are some very useful tips in there. I suspect a few of the designers of the comercially built amps is reading this book right now! So when can we get the book on power amps?

Designing Tube Preamps for Guitar and Bass
Designing Tube Preamps for Guitar and Bass by Merlin Blencowe (Hardcover - 22 Jun 2009)
23.00
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available