5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!
Have you ever pretended to be someone else?
Published on 14 Dec 2009 by The Book Bug

3.0 out of 5 stars The Dresskeeper, by Mary Naylus
Published on 21 July 2012 by P. A. Cunningham

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 14 Dec 2009
This review is from: The Dresskeeper (Paperback)
Have you ever pretended to be someone else?
Picky Robson thought things couldn't get any worse. Her life is a boy-free zone, she's being bullied at school, then Mum announces she has to look after Gran every weekend for the foreseeable future. One night, unknowingly tempting fate, Picky slips into a flouncy old dress from the depths of an ancient chest and finds herself back in 17th Century London.
But she is not alone. A weirdo in a wig is trying to kill her - mistaking her for a girl called Amelia.
Who is Amelia? Can Picky change the past by exposing the murdered? And will she make it back alive?

I am really glad I read this book, it was so good. Picky's narrative was witty and engaging- I love it! It didnt even matter that I dont like books with time tavel in them I loved it so much. The plot line was pretty original and well though out. The writing was easy to read and the style was fantastic. Mary Naylus has written an excellent debut. Also it was totally engrossing and it had the perfect blend of modern times and history (does that make sense?).

Picky herself was witty and not so clever, but she was nice and I could relate to her really well. She was strong and adventurous, plus she had a personalty. She was very well developed character. The secondary characters made the story more exciting, and gave an air of mystery to the plot.

Overall, this book was made of fantastic-ness and I'm so glad I read it. I will be looking foward to anything else the author writes in the future. Five stars, so go and but it!

Posted by The Book Bug at 07:57

5.0 out of 5 stars The Dresskeeper, 31 Dec 2010
W. Macpherson "Gordonmacp." (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dresskeeper (Kindle Edition)
Well I'm not a teen or a female but I really enjoyed this book! Terrific story line and really well written! Kindle has taken me to new authors that have really impressed me, this is yet another one! Thanks Mary!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting and a delicious read., 15 Jan 2011
This review is from: The Dresskeeper (Kindle Edition)
I wanted this book to go on forever. Where is the sequel?? I savoured every detail and enjoyed reading the combination of Picky's dilemas as she travelled between her two worlds. It is an unusually refreshing idea for time travel (which is has been done over and over and over...). Reading this book only makes me impatient to read Naylus' next book. Also, who says this should only be for teens? Both my mother & I loved it (& I am well into my 40's!!) Bring it on girl!!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Dresskeeper, 4 Dec 2009
Jenny, Wondrous Reads (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Dresskeeper (Paperback)
The Dresskeeper is an original debut that should have a place on any teen reader's bookshelf. Filled with clever characters, time travel and history, it's different to anything else you'll read this year.

I was instantly hooked by Mary Naylus's writing, as well as her snappy main character Picky. The way Picky spoke and acted in old England was hilarious, and I loved the contrast between the two time frames. Our history has always interested me, and though I didn't know too much about the 1700s, I still found it to be a very entertaining read. I also learnt something new myself, which is never a bad thing!

The fast pace and unfolding mystery had my full attention and, as always, I was surprised by the final revelation. I'm terrible with 'whodunnit' books, I just can't seem to guess who the bad guy is. Of course, this is normally down to clever writing and characterisation, rather than my inability to see what's right in front of me. So, well done, Mary Naylus -- I was completely in the dark until the last chapter.

The Dresskeeper is a fun, fast-paced thrill ride that effortlessly combines history and time travel to form a highly impressive debut. It's a must-read for fans of historical fiction, realistic characters and murder mysteries that keep you guessing.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Dresskeeper by Mary Naylus, 6 Dec 2009
This review is from: The Dresskeeper (Paperback)
Mary Naylus uses the time travel device expertly in The Dresskeeper. It allows her to have her very contemporary protagonist explore 17th century London. Picky Robson was a convincing teenager whose comical voice hooked me in from the very first chapter. Penelope - known as Picky by her family - has a painfully negative body image and an amusing take on the world around her. She dislikes the vain and shallow Demon Worshippers at school but like the other students, she does not have the courage to stand up to them. The bullying she faces is treated with care and humour by Naylus.

I really liked the fact that Picky was a teenage carer, looking after her Grandma on weekends. I'm sure young people in similar postitions of responsibility will relate to Picky's frustration, resentment and guilty feelings concerning her role as a carer. This is by no means a heavy novel although it explores important issues in the life of its narrator. Picky tells the story in such an amusing way that I often chuckled at her particular world view. As a School Librarian myself, I was tickled by Picky's suspicion that Mrs Hamperton spent her weekends cataloguing her underwear drawer. I had to laugh out loud.

The historical landscape of 17th century London is charmingly described with all Picky's usual eloquence as having "crap in the streets". The appalling living conditions of the poor, small pox, the issue of the slave trade and arranged marriages are all woven into a riveting narrative. Picky is a determined heroine who is out to save the life of her 17th century alter-ego, Amelia. She is certainly not Sherlock Holmes but perseveres admirably.

Overall, I highly recommend this book. The characterisation of Picky is superb and the novel moves at a great pace. The plot is interesting and the mystery of the murderer kept me guessing until the very end. The modern voice will appeal to fans of authors like Meg Cabot. The beautiful dresses and depiction of 17th century London will appeal to fans of historical fiction. The Dressmaker is thoroughly entertainly, enthralling and amusing. I really enjoyed reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fun read, 4 Mar 2010
Jo (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dresskeeper (Paperback)
I didn't think I would enjoy this; I love watching period dramas on TV and at the cinema, but when it comes to reading them, I'm not so great at understanding the language, but I thought I would give this book a go anyway. I am so glad I did, I really enjoyed it!

I loved Picky's voice, and learning things about the time period through her experience of it. There was no trouble understanding the language as it was all through Picky's point of view, and it was really quite amusing!

The plot was really clever, and if you've seen it, it reminded me quite a lot of the UK TV programme Lost in Austen. I was, however, a little disappointed in Picky's lack of knowledge about history. She may be 13, but surely 13-year-olds know that the internet is pretty new in the great scheme of things, and would have heard of Nazis.

I also found that Picky's real school life was a little forced. The events were believable, but the reactions to them were a little off to me. And as much as teenagers may say it, I got a little annoyed with Picky's over use of the phrase, "No. Seriously."

The Dresskeeper is a cute story over all, and I really enjoyed reading it. I loved the characters from 1685, and how Picky's view of things changes, and how she learns about herself along the way. It was a lovely story, and I can't wait to read what Mary Naylus brings us next!

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book, 16 Jan 2011
J. E. Gibbin "Jeg" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dresskeeper (Kindle Edition)
Picky is such a likeable character and I think most of us will be able to see elements of our own teen selves in her. Her narrative is simple to understand but witty and imaginative. I particularly enjoyed her descriptions of London and found myself almost smelling it!

Although I would assume that this book is aimed at teenagers I would reccommend it to anyone, especially those who have an interest in history and have a sense of humour.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Young Teens!, 18 Oct 2009
Mary Mitchell "The Sweet Bookshelf" (East Kilbride, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dresskeeper (Paperback)
I loved this book! I woke up today to it in my mailbox and began reading it immediately. The synopsis really intrigued me. It was such an easy book to get into, and kept me guessing. What a unique story! Who wouldn't want to find a chest of old dresses and when trying them on gets pulled into the late 16oo's!? A good clean book that has loads of history and intrigue. What's not to like? It's perfect for young teens! I'm looking forward to her next novel The Plaguemaker!

4.0 out of 5 stars Wickedly funny, 19 Mar 2011
Oracle - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Dresskeeper (Kindle Edition)
I loved the opening to The Dresskeeper so much that I bought the book before I'd even finished the first page of the Kindle sample. Despite its title and cover, which imply a fairly straight-laced historical romance, The Dresskeeper is for a large part a darkly comic look at such modern perils as dementia, body image and absent fathers. In fact, the scenes that are central to the plot where 21st century teenager, Picky, travels through time to the London of the 1600s rarely live up to the sheer wit and exuberance of the sections set in the modern day.

That's not to say that the past sections don't have their strong points. Naylus succeeds where many better-known authors have failed and makes the past a living and vibrant place. The past is also where the most moving and poignant sections of the novel take place.

However, despite being the funniest thing I've read in years, I wasn't able to award The Dresskeeper top marks. The novel is littered with plot holes, anachronisms and implausibilities. Some leeway can be given because this is a comedy and a young-adult novel, but they were so numerous they did intrude on my enjoyment of the book. It's easy to criticise Naylus for this, but her publishers should also take some of the blame as they really should have pointed these out.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Dresskeeper, by Mary Naylus, 21 July 2012
P. A. Cunningham "Penny" (N.Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dresskeeper (Paperback)
I found this book a quick and easy read. And as my name is Penelope too (the main character is also Penelope, but called picky, I suppose to be hip and trendy!)I thought I would give it a go!! I was very disappointed in it as Time travel books usually have me hooked. The story had holes left right and centre, but it was farily enjoyable if you remembered is written from the perspective of a 13 year old girl, for (in my opinion 13 yr old girls). It was a good idea having the dress transport you back to the time in which they were made, but I think much more could have been made of the story.

The Dresskeeper
The Dresskeeper by Mary Naylus (Paperback - 30 Nov 2009)