‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for a career changer, 5 Mar 2011
This review is from: Career Ahead: The Complete Career Handbook (Paperback)
I'm in my early thirties and a teacher. I know I'm not in the right job for me, but knowing what to do next in the current job market is proving tricky.

The beauty of this book is that it taught me something new: I've done so many skills-related tests that tell me I'm suited to teaching/ lecturing/ working as a writer that I was pretty sure that this book would do more of the same. All the career books I tried prior to this one picked up on the same obvious set of skills that I possess and advised me to look for jobs in the field that I actually want to leave!

Instead, this book really got me thinking in quite a unique way about my skills, hobbies and abilities, and it has helped me see things that I could do which I previously hadn't considered.

It's written in an very accessible but intelligent way, and is structured in short chapters which deal chronologically with the process of evaluating your current role, working out what it is about it that makes you dissatisfied with it, figuring out what your transferable skills are, and then taking all of that info and changing your career direction.

It's a great book, and not one that you will flick through once and leave to collect dust. If you can only afford to buy one career change book, get this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 10 Dec 2009
Julia (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Career Ahead: The Complete Career Handbook (Paperback)
I have loved reading this book and I know I will keep referring back to it. It's full of very sound advice and tips, presented in a tone that is friendly, encouraging, and down to earth, whilst being pragmatic and to the point. The layout is very clear, the wording carefully chosen. It has given me a real boost to go out there and take my future in my own hands, and I know it will help me in times of self-doubt and discouragement as the author's enthusiasm and positive outlook are infectious.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent career change handbook, 6 Jan 2013
This review is from: Career Ahead: The Complete Career Handbook (Paperback)
I bought this book some time ago, and have found it extremely helpful; much more so than any other career guides I have read. It is full of practical, no-nonsense advice, and guides you through exercises that will help you in identifying the right career for you. The latter chapters provide really comprehensive advice on how to make the change once you have identified what you want to do. After reading the book I went on to have some coaching with Jenny, and I am now in a position where I have left a job which I was not enjoying, found a new job with a company whose values match my own, and have a much clearer picture of the direction I would like my career to take. I am so pleased that I found this book, as I'm not sure I would be in this much happier place without it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book to help career change, 10 Sep 2012
This review is from: Career Ahead: The Complete Career Handbook (Paperback)
The book is packed full of great exercises, tips and information to help change careers. I've worked with Jenny to help me to change career and find the job I love, using lots of the content from this book. I can definitely recommend the book, along with Jenny herself!

4.0 out of 5 stars some great ideas, 4 Aug 2011
This review is from: Career Ahead: The Complete Career Handbook (Paperback)
I haven't managed to get through the whole process but the exercises do help you identify your skills and get a sense of direction. Some excellent advice about how to get a new job.

5.0 out of 5 stars A helpful and highly recommended read, 10 Jun 2010
L. Wilton (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Career Ahead: The Complete Career Handbook (Paperback)
Jenny's book was extremely useful to me. It was a practical, friendly and approachable book which gave me some excellent advice on what sort of jobs were best suited to me, how to perform well in all interview situations, and what sorts of things to look for and questions to ask once a job has been offered to you. It is a versatile and comprehensive book that took me through all stages of the job process! Thanks to this book, I have found a job that I really enjoy, and have a better idea of what I am looking for in future roles. I would recommend this book to anyone who is looking for career guidance of any kind!

5.0 out of 5 stars Changing and managing your career and your own business, 22 Mar 2010
J. PHILLIPS (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Career Ahead: The Complete Career Handbook (Paperback)
I have just read Jenny's excellent book, she has made me think about what actually makes me tick, and what I want out of work and life, and how to focus all of this into a new career goal, and how to go about beginning changing jobs, also the section on starting your own business is very helpful, especially regarding marketing, PR and how to make more of your business.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant advice and great ideas, 26 Feb 2010
David Nicholas (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Career Ahead: The Complete Career Handbook (Paperback)
I found this book really helpful when I was looking for a new job recently. It has some great ideas and gave me a whole new direction in job hunting. A must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best career guidance book ever!, 9 Aug 2011
Mr T Niwa (Belfast, Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Career Ahead: The Complete Career Handbook (Paperback)
I am only part way through this book but have been slowly working through the exercises over the past number of months. This is not a book to be read in a few sittings but a 'working book' where you have to complete exercises over a period of time.

This book is holistic in nature. It not only helps you to assess your skills, talents and interests in light of your current or prospective career but it also helps you to focus on other aspects of your life that might make your current work/life balance better. This book helped me to set myself some goals in terms of weight and fitness. Since setting those goals in May 2011 I have lost over 10kgs through a calorie controlled diet and regular exercise. I also felt the courage to quit my job 7 weeks ago and am lucky enough to have a wife who was prepared to go back to work full-time while I stayed home with our two daughters. I am in the process of honing my future career prospects but thanks to this book it has helped me to see the word 'career' in a totally different manner. I have been a school teacher/educationalist for the past 12 years but am now considering different options which take into account my interests and skills more readily. Dive into this book. The exercises here will upon up a whole new world of possibility for your 'career' and life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be in every School, College, University and Job/Careers Centre, 18 April 2010
Tal (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Career Ahead: The Complete Career Handbook (Paperback)
This is a very important book because so many of us feel stuck in our present jobs and are yearning for change. This book will give you the confidence to take that all important first step, and will put your mind in to creative overdrive. The book is potentially life altering, and in my opinion the best book on the market on the genre. The book is inspirational, thought provoking and a complete career guide (and especially useful in this challenging economic climate). Jenny's enthusiasm for the subject and positive outlook are infectious.

The book is beautifully distilled and has a clear and easy layout. Jenny's style of writing is also refreshingly honest, for example she states that you shouldn't force yourself to do things that you don't enjoy doing. Also, the chapters on starting your own business, marketing, PR and Procrastination are very helpful.

This book teaches you that the key secret is to find a job that you love, so that it doesnt feel like work i.e. get paid for doing something you enjoy doing anyway! The famous astronomer Patrick Moore used to say...`I've never worked - my hobby and my job are the same'.

At the time this review was written, all 15 reviewers had given the book 5 stars. You can't argue with that.

I can tell that Jenny is an avid reader of self help books, and a lot of this knowledge is evident in her own book. She also knows a lot about career resources, books, websites and contacts.

The book is currently only rated about 5,000 in books by the Amazon sales rank, which is scandalous for a book of this quality. However, I do think that a more appropriate title for the book would be `Never Work Again, Get Paid to do your Hobby'. And, I don't think that the cute picture on the front cover does the book any favours either. I believe that with a few `tweaks' this book could become one of the top `self help' books in its own right. I therefore challenge Jenny to get this book in to the top 500 by the next edition.

If you are serious about career change, I strongly recommend that you read this book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Career Ahead: The Complete Career Handbook
Career Ahead: The Complete Career Handbook by Jenny Ungless (Paperback - 15 Dec 2008)
9.48