5.0 out of 5 stars What I have been waiting for.
With Lightroom 1 2 3 and 4 I always brought the latest copy of Martin Evening's book.

However I have to say, it's very wordy and rarely I found answers to the questions I was looking for.

Published 22 months ago by M. Fairman

3.0 out of 5 stars One source of information on Lightroom..
I purchased this book after having just purchased Lightroom. I Was a new Lightroom user, so needed to cut to the chase regarding building my understanding of how it worked.

Published 13 months ago by NeilE

5.0 out of 5 stars What I have been waiting for., 9 July 2013
M. Fairman - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 - The Missing FAQ - Real Answers to Real Questions Asked by Lightroom Users (Paperback)

I also like to say I hate e books. Kindle is ok, e books don't work for me. However having seen bits of Victor's Lightroom book I took the plunge and brought the e-book version.

It's colour, it's excellent, it's straight to the point, and I have already learned things I never knew about Lightroom. The lady doesn't waste words, but simply tells you what something does, how best to use it and only goes into more detail if it is needed. It's also nicely set out, meaning what you want to know is quickly found, and unlike Martin's books, there isn't three pages explaining something, but a short paragraph.

She also gives web addresses for handy little applications like the one where you can save all the settings for lightroom, like metedate, stuff like that, all of which is lost normally, and I have never found where these settings are.

This is the book I wish I had since Lightroom 1. It's half the price of Martin's book and much more helpful. Victoria may not be someone close in on the team, but she knows her stuff and she is very good at getting that stuff to you clearly and quickly. I just can't say enough good things about it really. It's that good.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Lexicon of things you need to know and even more things you didn't know you needed to know, 2 July 2013
J. Hoskison (UK) - See all my reviews
Only has 5 stars because they don't allow 6.

Does the term "annoyingly good" cut it as an explanation? This is one of those goldmine books you dip into for the answer to a problem and whilst answering that question you find another bunch of amazing things you did not know you need to make a note of. Yep there are training books out there but this is more than that this is the Samaritans Help Line of books. Its where you will go time and time again when things ala Lightroom drive you to despair.

This is not just a book purchase its an intro to Victoria's help and support website, blogs and a great friendly community. Even if you have version 4 of this book there is enough new stuff to justify the expenditure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 1 Jan. 2014
Victoria Bampton's Lightroom guides are the only ones that I find readable - her straightforward, conversational style hits the spot with me. The book starts with a basic "getting started" guide, covering all modules (which, incidentally, you can download from her website for free), followed by chapters going deeper into each one in turn. These chapters are constructed as sets of question and answers, a technique that I find to be engaging and useful. She has a gift for explaining complex ideas in a way that's easy to understand, without being bland and boring. Other technical guides that I've tried have made my eyes glaze over, but I actually enjoy picking up this book and browsing through it.

If you buy the physical book, you get free access to an electronic copy via Victoria's website. The pdf version is more colourful and attractive than the one designed to be read on Kindles, so even if you choose to buy the Kindle version alone, I would recommend visiting her website and downloading the pdf version for use on a tablet or computer. The printed book itself is in black and white, but is still attractive and the lack of colour doesn't detract much from it in my opinion. It is apparently designed to be used in conjunction with the electronic version, and I find it useful to have both the pdf version on my Ipad and a copy of the physical book for browsing.

Finally, Victoria seems to offer everyone who buys her products fantastic personal customer service and support. I have emailed her a few times myself with queries and she has always responded quickly in person. Her website also contains tons of additional information on Lightroom.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Read Reference Book, 7 Sept. 2013
I'm not really sure why but I buy a reference book with each new version of Lightroom, though usually the changes affect a small fraction of functionality. I usually get the Martin Evening or Scott Kelby ones (which are both really comprehensive), but this time I thought I would have a change and get Victoria Bampton's book. It really is very good. It is easy to find the 'nugget' you are looking for amongst all the stuff you know anyway. The information is generally concise and to the point, so you get the clarification you want without having to read through unnecessary related data. The title "FAQ" says it all. I think this is a useful and valuable book whether you are a long term Lightroom user or a new user

3.0 out of 5 stars One source of information on Lightroom.., 25 April 2014

In a nutshell, this book didn't help me a great deal, as the information contained in it was difficult to locate. Not only that, I found you had to be asking the same questions as those in the book in order to gain anything meaningful. The information is all there, but the book conveys it by asking questions (as per the title), so for me, this just made the it more difficult to get to. I must stress, this is a personal thing, some people may not have a problem with picking up information delivered in this way.

As far as the layout of the book is concerned, it follows a logical flow, so from that point of view it made sense. However, it's lack of colour is a disappointment - this is a book related to digital photography after all. We view Lightroom in colour on our screens, so why not use colour in the book? It just all helps with the familiarisation.

If you are a new user, my advice would be to watch the Lightroom training videos that Adobe have created to help users get up to speed (search for Adobe TV). They are free and you'll quickly learn so much more than chewing your way through this book.

Overall, this book might work for some people, but for me, the method of information delivery clouded the information itself. Perhaps it's worth considering using the wealth of free online Lightroom related resources as an alternative.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent book., 2 July 2013
All that you need to know about Lightroom5. Clear and concise information which is easy to search for the topic you require.
I guarantee that each time you dip in with a query you will not only solve it but learn something else new too.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have if you use Lightroom... (electronic pdf version), 2 Aug. 2013
I have just purchased the version 5 upgrade, and the pdf is sitting next to AdobeLightroom3-missingfaq and AdobeLightroom4MissingFAQ. I have plenty of other ebooks and paper photography books, but this is the most used on my (virtual) bookshelf - indeed, I have a shortcut to it on my desktop. I suggest using the index or control F to quickly find the answer to your current Lightroom problem. And that is the USP of Victoria's approach - the book is a summary of answers to problems that other users have had, and therefore the answer to your problem is quickly available, and frees you up to get on with your main purpose of making great images. If you are a newbie, then a read through the quick start chapter is a must... if you have been using Lightroom for years like me, then I still find I learn loads just diving in occasionally. But the main reason is quickly solving that annoying hitch that is stopping you doing what you want in LR3, 4 or now 5...

5.0 out of 5 stars I decided to try another recommended book, this one by Victoria Bampton, 3 Nov. 2014
I have Martin Evening's Lightroom 3 book. As expected, there were more things I needed to know when I upgraded my software to Lightroom 5. So rather than just buy his Lightroom 5 book, which would probably duplicate much from the Lightroom 3 book, I decided to try another recommended book, this one by Victoria Bampton. So far, I have not been disappointed. The different approaches do complement each other with the questions I have need answering to date. Recommended for such powerful and comprehensive software.

5.0 out of 5 stars first rate resource for Lightroom users, 27 Aug. 2013
Upgraded from LR version 4, and it just gets better. Rarely is there a question that cannot be answered by this book. Every aspect is explained clearly, not just the 'how', but usually the 'why' as well.
Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars different, 7 Sept. 2013
different style of writing , full of useful tips
can be read through or just dip in and out for specific items