Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 April 2012
This was not my usual reading material, but quite liked the TV series and thought it worth a look - and cheap for the Kindle edition. I was pleasantly surprised. It was a nice read and excellent value for money. I particularly liked the second part which covers all the main actors and the writer (John Sullivan) which was full of lots of interesting snippets and background - this really brought the characters and actors to life for me. It was also quite interesting going through the 3rd part which looked at the different series - a nice walk down memory lane, and makes me want to revisit the old videos and DVDs. Clearly Steve Clark has done a thorough job at researching the series, actors and background - and has put it all together in an entertaining read.
on 27 December 2011
Let me start by saying how easy this was to order on the Kindle. I looked it up on amazon.co.uk on my laptop, clicked order, turned on the kindle and it started downloading. Whole process took only a few minutes.

Now, on to the book. This is the first review I have written (usually because what I want to say has been said by everyone else), but in this case I feel my review could be useful.

Being a long time dedicated fan of the series, I was looking forward to reading this book. While its not bad, theres nothing groundbreaking here, it almost feels like a collection of sections from other books.

The first part of the books goes in depth into the life of John Sullivan prior to Only Fools, and although somewhat interesting, theres a long time before anything OFAH related is mentioned. It feels like your reading a biography of John Sullivan rather than a book on OFAH.

The next part of the book is all about each cast member, following this format:

- A brief history of the actor, from their beginnings to working on OFAH. Again, this is interesting, but as David Jason and others have worked on many things, alot of this story isn't really linked with OFAH. In the case of Buster Merryfield it reads like a brief life story, including a story of him nearly dying in the jungle while in the army. While interesting, the more I read, the more I forgot I was reading about OFAH, it really does feel like reading a biography.
- A few sentences on the actors favourate scene or episode. Literally only a few lines of text, with little in the way of explaination.
- A list of other work by the actor.

This is the for the 'main' characters (Boycie, Marline, Del, Rodney, Grandad, Uncle Albert, Trig etc.). Some of the minor characters are given 2 or 3 lines with very little substance.

One thing that really struck me was that in the section about Tessa Peake-Jones it mentions that she met Sullivan just before 'Dates', and that was her first appearance. Although a very minor point, its well known by longtime fans that she is in the first episode (with one line). It would have been interesting to read about that, and how it went from that to Sullivan casting her much later on in the show, or how she felt about it, but no, it starts with 'Dates' and never mentions it.

After each actor has been looked at, it moves onto each series. I was really looking forward to reading this, thinking it would give detailed info about each series, possible different story lines or some other info, but it reads literally like a episode by episode guide giving a brief plot discription and very little else. This carries out for every series. Very disappointed.

After that, theres a similar section on The Green Green Grass, and then Rock and Chips (the most interesting bit of the book for me, but still nothing you won't have already known).

After that, the book ends with an episode by episode stats page, with an episode synopsis that reads like a tv listing, for example, the episode guide for the first episode is:

"Episode 1: Big Brother

After flogging one legged turkets from the back of a three wheeled va, Del is confident he's onto a winner at last with Triggers consignment of Old English vinyl briefcases. At the same time his brother Rodney is thinking of abandoning the high flying world of trading for a real job.

Cast: Joyce the barmaid (Peta Bernard), Trigger (Roger Lloyd Pack)

First Broadcast: Tuesday September 8th 1981 at 8:30pm

Viewing Figures: 9.2 million

Duration: 30 Minutes

Music: None"

So, overall this book is a good read, and at a cheap price is worth getting, but a few glaring omissions and a few errors here and there give it an overall feeling of sadly being slightly somewhat of a cash-in on John Sullivans death (and the run up to Christmas)
on 24 April 2012
This book was a must read for me as I'm a fan of OFAH (I have the previous hardcover book written by this author) but would be equally interesting to those without much knowledge of the series. It was an interesting read with lots of snippets of information about how the show came about and how it was cast.

It's clear the author has done his research with access to the key figures of the production team and cast.

Overall, a great read that I would highly recommend.
on 27 April 2012
An informative and in depth history of Only Fools and Horses; its cast and crew and how all the major components came together to create the show we all know and love today; this is a brilliant accompaniment to a brilliant sitcom and a must have for fans of Only Fools and great British sitcoms in general. Lovely Jubbly!
on 22 June 2015
It's only when you read this book do you actually realise what an impact Fools & Horses had upon the world. From a single idea by John Sullivan, an empire was born - an empire? yes - millions of people were touched by these shows. The episodes are timeless - even as the opening titles roll, the street stills transport me back to my childhood - who else remembers the Singer sewing machine shops? Where were you and how old were you then? Where were you going? Fantastic stuff. The gathering of the characters to build the program and the interplay both on and off screen are priceless. How I wish I could have been in the studio audience at the filming of a show. What makes this series special to me is the way Sullivan intertwines comedy and pathos. Del's words to new born Damien will stay with me forever. Absolutely brilliant - and this book tells the whole story from start to finish. A great read.
on 18 January 2013
As an avid Only Fools and Horses fan I was looking forward to reading this book and learning some new facts about the Trotters . It didn't disappoint ! From stories of the casting , the crew and the irreplaceable master of comedy John Sullivan the book is a very interesting read as Steve Clarke shares his knowledge of all things 'cushty' . It takes you from the story of their creation and the very sad passing of their creator . I couldn't put it down and I didn't want it to end .... A must buy !! You know it makes sense Rodney 😉😉😉 !
on 14 January 2014
Brought this on the kindle edition, and couldn't put it down until I had finished reading it. Well written and full of interesting facts and lines from the best comedy series we will ever see on TV. Not much else you can say about it, other than you will regret it if you don't buy it. So funny, and you can still laugh out loud with reading it. Nothing in the last ten years has come anywhere near as funny as this show was, and having read it you will see why...............
on 1 October 2014
An affectionate and knowledgeable insight into one, if not the most well loved British sitcoms of all-time. With fascinating and valuable contributions from key cast and crew, this become a real page swipe and took me back to a much happier time when Del and Rodders ruled the tv and owned Christmas!
on 17 March 2013
Very interesting book, Learned so much from it, Did find a couple of bits repetitive and most of the interviews quoted from other sources and not personal interviews but well worth the read
on 27 December 2012
This book has been absolutely great to read and is both interesting and well written. I like to go back and read about an episode after I've watched it as there are some intrsesting and fun facts about each episode! The only downside is the section about each actor, most of hich is great but can sometimes be a little dull becuase I want to read about 'Only Fools and Horses' not necesssarily about the actors! Still it's a must buy for all true fans!