5.0 out of 5 stars An astonishing story of true love
What makes this book really fascinating is the fact that - despite being set during WW2 - it's not really a war story. Rather it is a remarkable tale of true love.
Published on 13 Aug 2011 by Isabella King

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great
An interesting story. I couldn't warm to the narrator though I did try. The saving grace for this was that it was a true story. Read it if you love history and aren't out for a wonderful read!
Published 13 months ago by Applekoko19

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An astonishing story of true love, 13 Aug 2011
This review is from: A Greater Love (Paperback)
The dedication and loyalty that Olga shows for her imprisoned fiance Julius, had me gripped from the very first page. The hardships she puts herself through - such as voluntarily entering concentration camps - for love, are just mind boggling and her bravery unimaginable. While reading you sometimes have to remind yourself that this is a true story.
One interesting aspect of the book is the camaraderie which existed between the ordinary citizens of war-torn Europe. The kindness of strangers towards Olga is really touching and in brilliant contrast to the terrible betrayals she also experiences.
I can't recommend this touching (yes, I cried) and though-provoking book enough. And there's a gut-wrenching twist at the end...

5.0 out of 5 stars A DEEPLY MOVING AND INSPIRATIONAL READ, 19 July 2011
This review is from: A Greater Love (Paperback)
This brilliantly written book had me gripped within the first few pages.
Olga quickly became someone I both cared about and admired. As I read I couldn't help but laugh, smile, despair and even cry at the various observations and experiences, both good and bad, Olga experienced on her journey to find the man she loved.
I devoured every page of 'A Greater Love' - even abandoning my family one evening on holiday because I was so desperate to get to the end and find out how things turned out for 'Olgi'.
It's a brilliant, effortless and totally gripping read, and I can't recommend it highly enough. It really is the ultimate love story.
I hope it gets turned into a film.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating true story., 9 Aug 2011
This review is from: A Greater Love (Paperback)
I found this a fascinating book, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. It is a very moving love story. But it is also much more than that. It is set during the last few years of the war, and made me realise that I don't know as much about those years as I thought. It is one person's true story, so it conveys a feeling for what it would have been like for many of the people surrounded by those dreadful events. Olga searches for her fiancé during that time, and tackles the challenges that arise in an innocent and very determined way. She is a very inspiring person, who made me think that maybe I `play too safe' in life! I recommend this book to anybody who is interested in war time history, love stories, or just inspiring personal accounts. It is well written and very readable.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fabulous read!, 9 Aug 2011
This review is from: A Greater Love (Paperback)
I wasn't sure what to expect from this book, but from the moment I read the first line I could barely put it down and finished it in 24 hours.It reads like the most gripping of novels, with Olga having gone through such turmoil and hardship in her young life,and yet it has so much more depth and poignancy because it is a real life story.It made me realise what a charmed and lucky life most girls of my and my daughter's generations have led by comparison.
I had read the novel The Invisible Bridge by Julie Oringer (about Hungary in WW2- a brilliant read))prior to A Greater Love and found Olga's story just as engrossing.I found the turn of events towards the end of the book very thought provoking and rather sad in a way.
Very well written and a great read. Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing story - beautifully written, 1 Aug 2011
This review is from: A Greater Love (Paperback)
Read this book in a day, I couldn't put it down.
Olga really is the bravest woman, and I felt I went along for the journey.
The last couple of chapters were so shocking after all she had endured.
I'm so glad she found happiness.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read, 22 July 2011
This review is from: A Greater Love (Paperback)
Downloaded the book onto my Kindle and read it during a recent train journey around Scotland. 'A gripping story, brilliantly told. It's not so much a war story as a love story. It's amazing that Olga would risk so much during the war to find her fiance. She had the most extraordinary journey during all the turmoil of the final years of the war. The book is written like a novel - complete with unexpected twist as the end, which keeps you turning the pages. Superb.'

5.0 out of 5 stars An story everyone should read, 1 Nov 2011
Dave (Beverley, E Yorks, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Greater Love (Kindle Edition)
This is a brilliant story, made all the more touching and incredible, because it is told in such a matter-of-fact way. Olga does not present herself as any sort of heroine, and describes all her hardships without over-dramatisation or self-pity. Although she encountered some of the worst examples of humanity, the enduring memory of this book will be the the occasions on which Olga experienced extreme kindness from people who themselves had very little to offer. As one of the other reviewers has said, this is a book that should be read by today's young people - Olga is a far better role model than most of our present day celebrities. It is also valuable as a testament to the fact that there were plenty of good people even on the "wrong" side in the war.

A Greater Love is not a long book, but is totally gripping from start to finish. Although the final twist has a sadness to it, the remarkable thing is that the sadness is felt by the reader rather than Olga. Throughout her story, she seems determined to live her life to the full, and not make the mistake of having regrets about the past. Truly inspiring and highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Greater Love, 25 Oct 2011
This review is from: A Greater Love (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed the book, which told me a lot of things I didn't know about the WW2. Olga Watkins strength and willpower to do what she did is amazing. Made me realise the cruelty and how destructive of lives and once beautiful cities war is.
Would definitely recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super read, 15 Sep 2011
This review is from: A Greater Love (Paperback)
Very interesting to have an insight to those war-torn years, made more heart-wrenching being a true story. Very well written, I couldn't put the book down.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Greater Love, 15 Aug 2011
This review is from: A Greater Love (Paperback)
A gripping story that is excellently written. From start to finish this amazing love story had me gripped and I couldn't put the book down. As a fan of printed books I loved the cover design and most importantly the font size!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

A Greater Love
A Greater Love by Olga Watkins (Paperback - 4 July 2011)