Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 October 2012
This book is a relief and long overdue well done Pat. Having worked with women and their families for quite a while, this book can provide both parents and children with an opening in to the very little heard side of children and their experiences. Hopefully these stories will give child survivors the courage to "open" themselves to their experiences, through the identification process. I have my own private practice working with adult survivors of childhood trauma I would still find this book relevant. Only slight critique would be to have some of the tactics etc or control methods laid out clearer (a bit dominator style) so a child could see a graphic and relate it to the "dominator". But as a tool for reflection, identification and truth this book is heart breakingly honest. A big special thank you to all the contributors for their bravery and courage.
on 21 November 2012
As an outsider looking in, we see abuse in isolation, little snippets here and there. We tell ourselves 'it will be ok, just a phase'. We go on with ourlives living in the clouds. But wait, What happens when you stop, pause and join the dots? Well, this book does just that! The survivors have pieced together the full story of the ugliest, evil veil that has plagued families for centuaries. It's message is brutally honest, it has to be. This is a wakeup call. You might be watching images on your telly and thinking 'oh, how terrible' in far away lands. But terrible is probably only a couple of houses away. If your a professional with your head in the clouds - get reading. If your a sufferer - be aware that this might invoke powerful emotional reactions. You might not be ready. Take it slow and seek advice and support.
on 19 April 2013
I have done the freedom programme already and bought this book to add to that knowledge and I cannot recommend enough, Pat Craven is an amazing woman, me and my children have a different life now :)
on 23 October 2012
I feel so sad reading the negative post on Amazon :-( x I am reading Freedom Flowers and I must say it is provoking tough memories for me, as Vinnie said it is making my stomach churn; but this is a good thing! Please god, let all professionals read and believe the reality of what's written! The Judges and Cafcass Officers, the barristers, solicitors and other misinformed people we would hope to be able to turn to for help, are the very people who make us stay in abusive relationships, and/or make our children stay in abusive relationships. They are the police or the disapproving family members who dismiss our stories and our cries for help with attitudes like: An Englishman's home is his castle and what goes on behind closed doors is nobodies business... "oh it's just a domestic!, Did she burn the dinner mate?" They are the ones who make us stay because that's the only way we can protect our children, because we are thwarted in our efforts to do so after we've left. The main thing that made me stay; knowing that he would get unfettered access to my children, so that he could continue to abuse them and through them, me.
I will post this as my review Pat x
on 15 October 2012
Another amazing and powerful book from Pat Craven, creator of the FREEDOM PROGRAMME.
FREEDOM'S FLOWERS is an account of the effects of domestic abuse on children -
with children, young people and adults telling their own powerful and disturbing stories of 'living with domestic abuse and violence' as children!
The book will unsettle and disturb you ... it will make your stomach churn ... it will tug at your heartstrings .. and it will make you cry ...
because it is an honest and realistic account of how a minimum 0f 750,000 children in the UK alone - every year - suffer physical, psychological, sexual and emotional abuse at the hands of the significant males in their mother's lives.
I am a social work and psychology professional of 25 years standing, and I am desperate that every social work and health professional reads this book ... I believe the information and knowledge within its pages could prevent another 'Baby 'P' in the future - I plead with you to read it as soon as possible!!
on 17 March 2013
Should be required reading by every MP and everyone involved with family law. Easy to read and understand for anyone
on 5 April 2013
This book reported the words of children and therefor reflected their experience rather than it being interpreted by others such as professionals. This is the child's story.
on 31 July 2013
Harrowing and hard to read but a triumphant account of the devastating effects of domestic abuse on children and how they flourish once the abuser is removed from the scene. A must read for all social workers, police officers, solicitors , teachers and magistrates to gain an understanding of domestic abuse and how we can save the next generation from the effects of it by taking action now.
on 26 October 2012
This is a great book, collecting as it does various stories from a variety of different people about their and their children's experiences of domestic violence. These are heart rendering accounts, published to show how domestic violence effects families and the quite devastating effects that it has on the children caught up, through no fault of their own, in these situations. Although the stories are at times harrowing, do not believe that the book is all gloom, it is not. Many of the stories end up with the perpetrator leaving and the resultant improvement in the lives of the partners and children concerned. If this book serves to save just one child then it will have been worth it.

I was possibly one of the first people to attend the Freedom Programme in a group run by Pat herself run on the Wirral in 2002. All I can say is that it gave me great strength and the ability to eventually leave an abusive situation that I was in at the time. In short it saved both my sanity and my life. The work and effort that she has put into this organisation deserves a medal.

I notice that there is a neutral review by a contributor to this site. This is not a review. It is a childish rant. At no point does this contributor actually mention Pat's book . They try to stir up emotions and ultimately fail... Read the other comments and proper reviews. This person also talks of being "used"

If you contribute to a book and the author uses your contribution what else did you expect would happen.? You seem to be more interested in stirring up trouble. What a waste of time. You clearly have not read or even bought the book. Had you have done you would have noticed that Pat actually mentions your book!! She actually advertises your book ...and you then leave your rant !
Out of interest, I checked Amazon and ABE books to see if I could find your book. there is not any record of it ( unless you have published privately)
Typical, an armchair critic who has published nothing, criticising somebody who has published numerous books for the betterment of all. As Dr.Johnson said, a critic is a person who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing. That seems to just about sum you up.
Read the other positive reviews and make up your own mind.
on 26 June 2013
It is important to have a book about domestic violence and abuse which delivers factual information, especially about the effects on children and parenting which uses real life experiences to illustrate the important points Pat makes. It is a book to inform and educate us all.