1 Review

2.0 out of 5 stars One for the football programme fanatic only, 3 Nov 2008
Bantam Dave (Bradford, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Match Day Pocket Edition: Official Football Programmes, Post-war to Premiership (Paperback)
I'm one of those old bores that get on everybodies nerves moaning that football was better in the sixties & seventies than it is today. I'm forever reminiscing about the days when every team had a player called Bobby in it and come mid-winter every game was played in three inches of mud.

Even I though, can't see the point in this book.

Basically the book is just a series of reproductions of the covers of football programmes published in the post war years to 1992.

Whilst I spent a pleasantly nostalgic half hour or so reading through it, thats all I got from the book. Surely the pleasure that the average football lover gets from looking through old programmes (which I admit to doing often) is not the cover, but the contents. The cover on its own doesn't tell you that much about match, you need to read the articles actually in the programme to get a feel of the time when the match was played.

There are an few reasonably interesting articles as well as the programme covers but not enough to persuade me that this book is for the football programme fanatic only.

Match Day Pocket Edition: Official Football Programmes, Post-war to Premiership