on 24 June 2009
I was looking forward to receiving this book after reading the other reviews, just imagine my disappointment when I found error after error throughout the book. Some of it may have been down to poor editing -missing punctuation and spelling but other parts are clearly down to the writer (and I am not referring to the exercises that ask the child to correct the mistakes).
I bought this book for a young girl who is struggling at key stage 3 but the content and presentation is far too juvenile for her. In my opinion it would just about cover key stage 2, maybe ages 8-11, once it had been re-edited. I sent mine straight back to Amazon.
on 19 October 2013
I am in total agreement with the review by Ms Rachel Williams - this book is a complete waste of money. I am amazed that a book which claims to teach children to write good sentences can contain so many errors. Like Ms williams, I feel that some could be put down to printing mistakes - but surely someone qualified to do so read the proofs prior to publication? Some of the errors are inexcusable in a book of this type. In an exercise requiring children to put in correct punctuation, the word "draw" is used in place of "drawer". While I appreciate that regional variations in pronunciation may mean that this word sounds like "draw" in certain accents, I feel that writers of such a book should be aware of the correct spelling. This is just one extremely annoying example of the kind of mistakes found in this book. I'm afraid it doesn't contain anything that harried teachers can't produce quickly for themselves and even the font and illustrations are irritating. The only appealing thing about it is the picture of the cat on the front cover! The whole feel is amateurish and it looks like something that was written in a few spare moments at the kitchen table. Hard to believe that the authors are a primary teacher and someone with a degree in English Language, Linguistics and Sociology. I certainly won't be buying any more books from this series and wish I had done the same as Ms Williams and sent my copy back to Amazon.
on 19 January 2009
What a wonderful book! Improve Your English includes everything a child and even an adult needs to know about English grammar. The first half of the 140+ pages teach vital skills, such as, using capital letters, nouns, adjectives, adverbs, pronouns, prepositions, direct and indirect speech, colons and semi colons, commas and apostrophes, making sentences more interesting by using sub clauses, connectives, complex and compound sentences, explaining homophones, metaphors and similes and much more.
I have never before come across such a comprehensive book on English grammar. Improve Your English presents grammatical concepts in a way that is very easy to understand. The second half of the book has exercises to test what has been learnt. The answers are even at the back.
I fully recommend this book to any parent whose child's written work is let down by spelling, punctuation and grammatical mistakes. With a book like this on the market there is no excuse for a child to lose marks in exams from use of bad English.
on 3 June 2009
The book has lots of simple exercises to help make improve punctuation and grammar. It is useful for primary school children. I have found it very helpful. The book was sent within 48 hours and arrived in good condition.
on 18 September 2014