on 14 May 2009
This is the book is based not just the great understanding of weaving that this author has gained from her training at the Scottish College of Textiles and working as a professional freelance textile designer, but also on her experiences over many years of teaching handweaving.

She is a thorough and careful writer, who neither talks down to an experienced weaver, nor assumes any more than a basic ability to warp up a 4-shaft loom and weave. The back cover says she "has a deep commitment to teaching others" - this really comes across in the style of writing and presentation.

Part 1 is all about weaving a multiple section sample blanket that demonstrates how different twill threadings work with different treadlings. She writes about each of the patterns in some detail. She takes you through from preparing the warp to finishing the blanket when you take it off the loom.

Part 2 Design Criteria and Part 3 Designs, builds on what is learnt from the sample blanket. It teaches you to look at the samples, think about them, plan and weave a project based on the samples using different yarns and colours (her examples are stunning). There is much to learn here about how to design fabric, even if you haven't woven the sample blanket.

I bought the book and wove the sampler: it was a fabulous experience as I watched the weave structures form on my loom. What I learnt has been deeper than just what the weaves look like, I got an understanding of the relationship between weaves on the same threading and with same weft patterns. With the sampler in my hands I have not only the look of a weave but know how it feels.

This may look expensive book, as a course in weave design within a single book I consider it an absolute bargain.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again