5.0 out of 5 stars A great page turner
A sometimes dark but always surprising novel which made me want to keep reading. The characters are well constructed and believable and the action element keeps you on the edge of your seat. Even my mother loved it! Although the plot twists and turns the end is sufficiently open to make me want to know when is novel number 2 to be published?
Published on 3 Mar 2008 by J. L. Bolger

2.0 out of 5 stars Muddled
Upon reading it would seem Jason Willow is little more than a vehicle for projecting sterile and predictable heroic fantasies onto a middleclass, middle-school environment. It's very middle of the road - it's Harry Potter on a budget.

Published on 6 Sep 2009 by N. Thorburn

5.0 out of 5 stars A great page turner, 3 Mar 2008
J. L. Bolger (Inverness, Scotland) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Original and surprising, 13 April 2013
This review is from: Jason Willow: 1 (Paperback)
I was recommended this book and I have to say it is not my usual fare. However, I was gripped from the first chapter and found it compelling reading. The characters are real because they are slightly flawed, the plot is original and pacey, the narrative flows well and the final showdown is explosive. Yes, I will be buying book 2.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent good read, 3 Dec 2011
This review is from: Jason Willow (Paperback)
Everyone in my family read the book. We are all waiting for the second story to be released. Come on Gareth.

5.0 out of 5 stars It made me late for work...!, 27 Mar 2011
This review is from: Jason Willow (Kindle Edition)
By day two of picking up this book, I found myself reading it in the bath, then over breakfast, then on the London Underground...almost without stopping (except, of course, when I was getting dressed and cleaning my teeth)...in fact when the train stopped at my station I was so engrossed, I missed it and skipped past my destination by two stops. In brief: it's a ripping yarn told elegantly with great dramatic rhythm...and lots of page-turning excitement. I loved it.

4.0 out of 5 stars More please, 18 Jun 2008
John Brown (Belgium) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jason Willow (Paperback)
There's something in this book for everyone: martial arts, daemons, class warfare, complex relationships, fighting, fast cars... you name it and it's probably here, meaning many people will relate to it. There are some nice set pieces and some intriguing ideas, some of which are developed, others which are left, presumably for later. Sometimes there seem to be too many ideas fighting to be heard, but overall it's an exciting read which pulls you along to the bloody, violent climax. Let's have some more please!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow - but I NEED more!, 10 Feb 2008
C "Bella" (Hertfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jason Willow (Paperback)
I love a book that leaves me wandering "What the... How the..." about the author and how such scenarios and plots could ever have been thought up. This is one such book. The images created are so vivid you become part of the scenery and feel like you are only a few footsteps behind the action but can't quite reach out to stop the things you know are coming. There is nothing typical about this book, the badies get their fair share of success and the goodies also get their fair share of kicks in the face which leaves you shouting "noooooooo... you can't do that". I can't wait for the sequel, this is a teenagers book for adults, a must read by all over 12.

5.0 out of 5 stars My best book to date, 3 Feb 2008
This review is from: Jason Willow (Paperback)
JASON WILLOW by Gareth Mottram. I love to read a novel that keeps me wanting more. Jason Willow's quest to establish his true identity is one long roller coaster of action and suspense. Magnificent locations came alive with an ever-present sense of menace. The other characters, good and bad, were skilfully built upon as the story progressed (I'm still rooting for Violet), and I can't wait to hear more of their story. If you like books by Darren Shans, Anthony Horowitz, and the later, darker Harry Potter novels go and get Jason Willow now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 24 Jan 2008
Ms. T. Edwards (Wales, Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jason Willow (Paperback)
On a surface level its a thrilling read about the main character Jason finding that he has incredible power and having to face the choice of following his destiny and the destiny of others before him to fight demons. However, if you are looking for a violent story of monsters and demons this is not for you...I'm not saying there is no excitement and action on the contrary there is a lot of tense moments throughout the duration of the book leading up to the final climactic ending, however, bloody violence plays a minor role in this book making it an ideal book for young readers (i'd say its a book for 10+) and adults alike. Therefore, I'd give it a 10/10 and recomend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fun, wild ride!, 29 Mar 2013
The Kindle Book Review (Indianapolis, IN) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Jason Willow (Kindle Edition)
The Kindle Book Review received a free copy of this book for an independent, fair, and honest review. We are not associated with the author or Amazon.
Jason Willow reminds me of a lot of things I love-certain types of books, certain types of movies, and even certain types of video games. We start out with Jason and Miranda Willow, teen brother and sister, who seem by all appearances to be normal teenagers. Normal, that is, if you don't count the fact that they have been on the run with their parents their entire lives, and that their mother goes down in a hail of gunfire in the opening scene.
That loss forces their father, Richard Willow, to make a decision. Obviously, his protection alone is no longer enough to keep his family safe, and he begins the transition of coming more into the open and trying to find out who can be trusted. They go to the castle home of his austere father, from whom he is estranged for reasons yet to be revealed. While there, Miranda and Jason wander off alone and find themselves under attack by an unknown man. Jason and Miranda have been trained all their lives in the martial art of Jakra, and quite passably hold their own until Grandfather, Father, and the Crazy Old Caretaker arrive to take out the intruder. Jason and Miranda can't help but notice that not only do they take him out, they take him out with supernatural style!
Up to this point, Richard has always refused to tell his children why they were running, but this incident eventually forces him, under duress, to begin revealing just what is going on. A large part of the story is dedicated to Richard's continuing efforts to keep the truth from his children, particularly Jason. Even when it's readily apparent that Jason literally must know the truth, Richard still resists telling him all of it. In the meantime, Richard has taken his children away from the family castle, to what he hopes is a place of safety.
Alan Brash has been helping Richard find safe places to stay for twenty years. Now Richard decides to depend on Brash for more and goes to Brash's compound to stay. Brash reveals to Jason that his father was a member of a demon hunting organization called The Watch. There is another ancient group called The Brethren who enjoy calling up demons and using them to possess powerful people all over the world. The Watch is made up of people called The Gifted. The Gift is passed from gifted father to son, from gifted mother to daughter, and so on. When the Gift has passed to the eighteenth generation, that person is known as a triple six and will be more powerful than any other gifted on earth. We do find out that we really don't trust Brash, but Richard had nowhere else to turn.
Turns out that Alan Brash and the Brethren as well have a lot of reasons for wanting Jason, and it isn't so that they can protect him. Before I accidentally reveal everything, I will just say that Jason is in for an interesting stay at Alan Brash's place.
I said before that I love certain types of books and movies, but I also want them to have something that sets them apart from the others. That thing for me here was Jason himself. Apart from having awesome super powers, Jason is a completely normal teenaged boy, subject to pride, insecurities, hormones and sometimes just flat out stupidity. He gets flabbergasted around girls and a pretty one will lead him around by the nose with no effort. There are too many YA stories out there now where the hero (or heroine) is just too good to be true. They're smart, mature, wise, always do the right thing and are good looking enough to grace the wall of any 12 year-old's room. I do have the impression that Jason is a good looking kid, but he's annoyingly cocky, impulsive and does the wrong things-frequently. But he is also well drawn and sweet, he's good-hearted, and we pull for him with all we have. I might have been his own dearly departed mother as I shouted at him in my mind to stop being such an idiot. The important thing is, that Jason finds himself by the end and proves himself to be brave, loyal and true (and now the Blue Fairy will appear and make him a Real Boy).
My favorite part of the book was the rip roaring, rollicking ending. Action? Man, yes! As I rapidly devoured this last section, I was forcibly reminded of Indiana Jones and The Raiders of the Lost Ark, where scores of wonderfully disposable Nazis just keep pouring out of nowhere to be mowed down by whatever Indie and company can throw at them. Jason and our other heroes come out badly scathed, and some of them do not come out at all-but mainly, they live to fight another day...and now, on to the sequel!
Jane McBride~Kindle Book Review

2.0 out of 5 stars Muddled, 6 Sep 2009
N. Thorburn "Neeklus" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jason Willow (Paperback)

Derivative characters with names like Alicia Sirensong or Muscles Malone fail to integrate effectively into Mottram's modern world of intrigue and conspiracy. The dialogue is similarly forced and hollow, a failing only compounded by an endless internal monologue rife with clunky exposition.

The equally uninspired story unfortunately has all dramatic tension beaten out of it by excessive good-natured knee-slapping, winking and cheap adolescent angst. There is no raw, alienated anger akin to such teenage contemporaries as Akira or Catcher in the Rye. Instead the protagonists are all mild-mannered and deeply expendable.

Sadly Mottram chooses to focus his attention on these drab portraits instead of pursuing what he does best - writing action - which the book only features consistently towards the end.

Aimed obviously at a teenage audience there is little here to digest that hasn't already been offered up countless times before. Saying that however those still hungry for more wizardly action might appreciate this slightly more adult take on the coming-of-age trope.

ARRAY(0xa5f1d3a8)

Jason Willow
Jason Willow by Gareth Mottram (Paperback - 5 Nov 2007)
Used & New from: 0.01