4.0 out of 5 stars Less than Satisfied, 6 April 2010
Mrs. K. V. Myall (Huddersfield, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love in a Wych Elm & Other Stories (Capuchin Classics) (Paperback)
Love in a Wych Elm. The book lived up to what I expect of H.E. Bates. Wonderful short stories. Pity that pages 194-195 were totally unreadable due to an almost white out in the print.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best of Bates?, 22 Aug 2012
Although Love in a Wych Elm & Other Stories contains 7 stories, previously published in Seven by Five, also by H.E. Bates and in my book collection, I have bought this book anyhow.
If you are a fan of Bates, as I am, and already have Seven by Five, the overlap in stories is not a hindrance.
I think the additional stories in Love in a Wych Elm are more sombre and wry, compared to Seven by Five and probably is more representative of the writings by Bates.
But if I had to choose between the two, I would prefer Seven by Five, because it contains a lot more uplifting and romantic stories.

Love in a Wych Elm & Other Stories (Capuchin Classics)
Love in a Wych Elm & Other Stories (Capuchin Classics) by H E Bates (Paperback - 1 Jan 2009)
7.99