5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent "it does what it says on the tin"
This is a really excellent book, straightforward and practical. The useful information section is very helpful if someone you know has just been identified with a food intolerance, especially the chapter on 'Shopping to avoid wheat, dairy, soya or nuts'

Published on 10 Jun. 2008 by Prof Chris Edwards

1.0 out of 5 stars Truly scrumptious? Truly awful more like
Published on 9 Jan. 2010 by Betty

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent "it does what it says on the tin", 10 Jun. 2008
Prof Chris Edwards (Buckinghamshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dairy-free &/or Wheat-free &/or Soya-free BUT Always Totally Nut-free Family Cookbook (Paperback)

The essence of any cookbook is, of course, the recipes and this book does not dissapoint. A lot of the family favourites are included, the recipes are easy to follow and the results are simply delicious. I cant recomment the book highly enough.

In short the book 'does what it says on the tin' or in this case 'does what it says in the title'

4.0 out of 5 stars A really helpful guide in a straightforward style, 18 Jun. 2010
Jackie (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
I gave this book to a friend whose daughter had been diagnosed with food intolerance after suffering terrible migraines. My "amateur" impressions of the book were that it presented information in a clear and helpful way while giving straightforward advice on planning and preparing meals. This is what my friend said:
"I wish I had had this book when my daughter was first diagnosed, as it would have saved me a lot of heartache. The first section explains allergies simply and clearly, something which is difficult to find on the internet. There's a great chart clearly stating the terms used on food packaging for various foods eg I didn't know that caseins came from dairy produce until it became important to my child's health. The recipes are excellent for families where children have just been diagnosed as they really provide a helping hand. Alternatives to milk are obvious to me now - but I had never heard of some of them in the beginning. My only disappointment was that there were few vegan recipes that contained protein eg there were no tofu recipes. However this is perhaps a particular requirement for our particular allergy.

"This book is well worth the money for the newly-diagnosed but perhaps less appropriate for those who have been coping with allergies for some time. I like the fact that the book shows you how to feed your family the same dish as a family meal and not make the allergy sufferer feel left out. I think that was the point of including a simple hot dog recipe, which when you turned to the dough recipes for it, contained some variations for different allergies. This book also doesn't assume you're a good family cook, and even if you are, learning to adapt your cooking for a restricted diet can be stressful.

"I hope they publish a follow up perhaps going into more detail - I'd like to see sections on the allergic teenager and avoiding eating disorders, how allergies develop or decline in adulthood, some more about nutrition and perhaps some more complex recipes."

4.0 out of 5 stars Queen of Puddings, 16 May 2008
Such practical, well tested recipes which provide a forerunner to delicious dishes, yet they avoid the principle causes of food intolerances. Whilst there are many books available on the subject this one with its hands-on, straight forward approach makes feeding the allergy conscious family simply a piece of cake.
Well Done!

1.0 out of 5 stars Truly scrumptious? Truly awful more like, 9 Jan. 2010
Normally I wouldn't bother to write a review, but this book seems to me to be taking the mickey. It starts well. The book explains food intolerances and allergies, even gives advice on keeping a food diary to help identify foods that might be causing problems. It then breaks down alternative ingredients for people avoiding wheat and dairy. And then come the recipes themselves.

Can you believe there is a recipe for hot dogs? Ingredients needed - finger rolls and sausages. Seriously? Like I couldn't work out how to make a hot dog without the help of a book? You'll also find individual recipes for roast chicken, roast lamb, roast pork and roast beef. Nothing fancy about them, just giving you the cooking times you'll find on the label of your roast joint from the supermarket. There are also a LOT of recipes that call for eggs. Now I know the title says nothing about being egg-free, but most people have more than one allergy, and egg allergies are extremely common. There's even eggs in the biscuit recipes. Why I don't know.

The highlight of it all for me, given that the title of the book states "always totally nut-free" is in including recipes that use gram flour. Gram flour is made from chickpeas. Chick peas and nuts are part of the legume family. The chance of a cross reaction is very real. I know this from experience. What makes it worse is that the author even puts a big bold note under the recipes containing gram flour stating that it is not suitable for nut allergy sufferers. You write a nut-free cookbook but include recipes not suitable for people with a nut allergy? Says it all really.

Allergy sufferers will know that there are tricks to using substitute ingredients in recipes. How to replace an egg. Adding xanthan gum to gluten free flour to get rid of it's crumbly nature. You won't find any of those sort of tips here. Or any ground breaking recipes. What you will find is a bog standard cookery book that has the following words on each and every recipe..."butter or margarine, OR dairy &/or soya free margarine", "plain flour OR gluten-free plain flour", "milk, OR oat, rice or soya milk" If it really was as simple as switching the basic ingredients to those suitable for the individual and the recipe still worked we wouldn't need to buy allergy specific cookbooks in the first place would we?!

Save your money and your time, because this book is a waste of both.

5.0 out of 5 stars my new cooking bible!, 26 Aug. 2011
I bought this book as my 2 year old is dairy, soya and wheat intolerant and as a result not very keen on eating. This book has been amazing, it's so nice to be able to choose which allergens to take out, such flexible recipies. We've only had the book a few weeks and we've made carrot cake (kids and adults loved it!!) sunshine cake, yorkshire pudding. This week we'll be doing burgers and meat loaf and as it's my 2 year olds birthday will be doing party pizzas, rice krispie cakes. There are great recommendations regarding different flours to use and different combinations of flour so help things taste more like wheat. Great book, highly recommend it!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great summary for newbies, 24 April 2013
Recently found out my 3 year old son is gluten and dairy intolerant and this book has an excellent initial chapter of explaining what to look for in the shops and what ingredients to use in certain baked goods. The toddler chocolate cake recipe is fab! I would agree with a previous review that the "sausages" recipe is pretty lame. Otherwise it's a great place to start on a gluten, dairy free diet!

2.0 out of 5 stars DIsappointed it's not egg free, 19 Oct. 2012
Totally gutted, I bought this thinking I had read it was egg free, my mistake it certainly is not. So many recipes have egg that this is pretty useless for us as a family. So disappointed as I thought this was going to be a big help for my allergic family. The gingerbread men recipe is delicious, my girls really enjoyed making and eating them. Such a shame there is little else we can make.
Entirely my fault for not reading the title properly but as egg is a major allergen it would have been nice if this had been taken in to consideration.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really useful book, 26 Aug. 2013
I bought this for my daughter as my baby grandson has allergies to wheat, dairy, soya and several other food products. She was finding it difficult to provide nutritious meals with the right balance of carbs, protein and fat. This book has made it easier for her to cater for his dietary needs using things easily available from local supermarkets though she still has to make some adjustments to deal with his particular allergies. A great help and guide!

3.0 out of 5 stars Dairy and wheat free recipe ideas, 2 Dec. 2010
This book gave some good information on allergy free cooking for children but unfortunately some of the recipes I have tried did not work as well as I was hoping. I am an experienced cook and also taught Home Economics during my career so was a little disappointed, especially with the polenta cake. However my grandson loved the marshmallow krispie cakes.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK But!!, 28 July 2013
Am impressed with the book although I am pensioner thought It would come in handy. There are a lot of the recipes I can't have the ingredients but some of them are very good. Great for mum's with children from what I see.