5.0 out of 5 stars Taking the rush out of riding, 8 May 2014
This review is from: Under Asian Skies: Eye Opening Motorcycle Adventure Through the Cultures and Colours of Asia (Paperback)
Often when I read a book I find myself looking at page numbers, if I'm enjoying it, to see how much longer I can prolong the pleasure. If I'm not, it’s a countdown until the ordeal is over. With this book I did neither, the manner in which it is written is as laid back and meandering as the journey and with a steady progress I found with a twinge of disappointment that the book and journey is nearing its end.
I was a little confused that a solo rider referred to himself in plural so often until I realised that the journey was in fact taken by the author and his bike, Libby.
It’s a beautifully created book; the addition of the illustrations is a lovely touch, their simplicity delicately enhancing the pages they grace.
The patience shown in India was commendable and the overall travel attitude was a talent so many who take to the road don't have and suffer because of it. I let the narrative lead me through long dormant memories of journeys I’d once taken. The description was just enough, what wasn’t written exercises the imagination and in some cases brings recollection, particularly when it came to the native foods of the various Asia countries. The historical and geographical accounts were informative enough to give the reader insight without involving a long diversion from the journey the author takes us on. It sums up the serendipity of the prolonged trip; when time is on your side opportunities inevitable present themselves. It reminds the reader that the hardest part of any journey is deciding to leave. With an open mind and slow pace, opportunities will flood into the void where once were obligations which seemed inescapable and muted the calling. Anyone can do this but not everyone can tell their stories this well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic Road Trip!, 21 Dec 2013
Really enjoyed Sam's journey through a part of the world I have spent many years working and travelling through - very enjoyable read!

I am not a biker (my overlanding was by truck) but I fully respect a man on two wheels doing the same thing and understand the relationship with one's mode of transport!

Epic journey with plenty of action going on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Under Asian skies, 19 Dec 2013
J. S. Murphy "Spud" (Stourbridge UK) - See all my reviews
I have read all Sam's books, I gave it a 5 star rating which is very rare for me, but if you are into travel and or bikes you will simply love these series of book, an excellent read

5.0 out of 5 stars Distant Suns by Sam Manicom, 29 Nov 2013
Distant Suns is another fantastic read from the truly talented literary hand of Sam Manicom. Sam's style of writing is such that you soon feel part of his journey and feel that you are sharing the experiences of one of lifes 'good guys'.Fortunatly Sam has written other books , Into Africa, Distant Suns and Tortillas to Totems which tell the story of his journey and allows the reader to continue the enjoyment of reading about his travels. I have read and enjoyed all four of these books and feel anybody reading them would share my enthusiasm.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC, 17 April 2012
I have read all four of Sams books and would recomend them to anyone. Some of the best biking travel books around

4.0 out of 5 stars Sam keeps us riding, 13 Nov 2010
This was the 1st book of Sams I have read and after the suprising start, it keeps on going taking you with it. At First it took me a while to get it, but after kicking back and going with the journey(and surley thats the point) I soon started to see & experiance the World via the Author. This is not an elitiest adventure tale or a multi-million sponsored support crew round the world trip - its a warming, honest tale of travel by motorcycle.

Warning - it may make you want to jack in your job and get going on two wheels - and why not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read!, 10 Nov 2010
Ezri (Wales UK.) - See all my reviews
Having read 'Into Africa' I was hoping Sam would write another book and was so pleased when 'Under Asian Skies' came out. I love the way Sam writes as it's literally like being there with him on the back of his bike. His enthusiasm for life and the places he visits leaps off the page and his books are so informative. Id tell anyone from the armchair traveller to those thinking of following in similar footsteps to read Sam's books and the amazing adventures he's had from hair raising to hilarious.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sam Manicom Biking world Trip, 29 July 2010
Mr. Richard Bird (Chester, England) - See all my reviews
A true Bikers Dream in this book and the others in this series of three books. The first book in this series was just awesome and quite inspiring I jiust could not put it down, I wished I could do somthing like this one day. Dont miss any of them.