5.0 out of 5 stars I didn't expect to like it
Published on 7 Nov 2007 by Jay

1.0 out of 5 stars Depressing, bleak bore-fest
I must have been reading a different book to all these other reviewers. It started off depressing, tailed off in the middle and the least said about the end the better. Everything that happens is tough, bleak or unfair. I felt like I was being dragged into a black hole of despair. Worst of all, when she gets the chance to resolve one family relationship at the end,...
Published on 22 Dec 2010 by Izzy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I didn't expect to like it, 7 Nov 2007
This review is from: Imagine This (Paperback)
To be honest a book written in diary form about the life and times of a young African girl did not instantly appeal to me in any way shape or form. However, immensely positive reviews from friends who had read the book left me wanting to know what all the fuss was about. When I started reading it, I realised that this was not a book about the life of a young African girl, it was a book about life and the experiences it throws at you at times in an uncompromising manner. I was shocked at how much I enjoyed it. I was addicted from the moment I picked it up and was left wanting when I finished reading it and had to put it down. Give it a go, you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 7 Nov 2007
This review is from: Imagine This (Paperback)
A truly fabulous read that takes you on an emotional rollercoaster as you share the highs and unfortunately very frequent lows of the wonderful Lola. I enjoyed it so much I didn't want to finish reading it, but the addictive nature of the writing meant that to my personal disappointment I finished reading it in just 3 days. Once I picked it up, I simply could not put it down. A wonderful and thoroughly enjoyable piece of literature written in a way that appeals to all regardless of age or gender.

5.0 out of 5 stars What an Unexpected Delight, 9 Oct 2007
This review is from: Imagine This (Paperback)
I was hooked from the moment I started reading it. I shared the highs and lows of Lola's life like it were my own. The book triumphs in captivating your imagination as you travel with Lola along her journey of self discovery and awareness. A must read. For those who hate books written in journal form, I challenge you to read this book and maintain that dislike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 17 April 2014
Julia Cunliffe (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Imagine This (Kindle Edition)
Sad, but determined Lola endures the life she's forced to live. There's plenty of self pity as she grows, but then she has reason for it!
Thoroughly enjoyed this novel, laughed, cried, even identified with the universal themes of love & the expectations that most girls have of it until their hearts get broken.
Recommend this thoroughly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Touching, 30 Mar 2014
This review is from: Imagine This (Kindle Edition)
This book made me appreciate my life in so many unspeakable ways. It felt like a true story. Well written.

4.0 out of 5 stars life isnt always fair, 12 Nov 2013
This review is from: Imagine This (Kindle Edition)
A young woman who has gone through immense suffering at the hands of family and relatives but still comes out whole with some life scares.I hoped the book would go on as i need to be sure her future would be a new leaf as she returns back to london.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bittersweet and evocative, 28 Oct 2013
This review is from: Imagine This (Kindle Edition)
I would recommend this to anyone with an interest in post-colonial African history or current events in Nigeria. The story is realistic enough to be mistaken for biography. The characters and various atmospheres are beautifully described. It left me with many lasting memories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 16 July 2013
This review is from: Imagine This (Kindle Edition)
Sad, funny, sensitive and beautifully written. The way Lola's character developed from a young girl to a young woman was very believable and flowed seeminglessly. It was also fascinating to read about Nigerian culture and politics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very captivating, 1 July 2013
This review is from: Imagine This (Kindle Edition)
Draws the reader in like no other. The main character takes the reader on her journey and we feel as If we are watching her develop.

4.0 out of 5 stars A sad tale, 12 April 2013
This review is from: Imagine This (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book and found it hard to put down. The diary format wasn't a barrier to accessing the narrative. The protagonist was quite remarkable, a very realistic, yet sad story.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Imagine This
Imagine This by Sade Adeniran (Paperback - 31 May 2007)
7.54