Format: Perfect Paperback|Change

on 9 May 2012
I bought this book to help me establish a pollinator friendly garden. It has been extremely useful.
There are four sections for each season so you can have pollinator friendly plants all the time which is important.
There is also a lot of information on pollinators with good illustrations. I have shown this book to two other gardeners interested in wildlife gardening and they have bought copies too.
This book will suit all level of gardeners.
on 28 May 2011
For the first time here is a book gives gardeners a really comprehensive source of ideas and inspiration covering all kinds of pollinating insects, including various kinds of wild bees. It is not about honeybees or bee-keeping, but that subject already has a lot written about it. Miller-Klein's work breaks new ground by considering how gardeners can help bumblebees and other kinds of wild bees, as well as butterflies, moths, hoverflies and other insects. It is beautifully illustrated and has contributions from several other wildlife gardeners and photographers. This subject is at the cutting edge of modern horticulture and Miller-Klein has caught the mood of the moment.
on 7 February 2012
I really like the way this book is laid out; it describes flowering plants for each season and tells the reader how each plant benefits butterflies and bees. An excellent format and interesting reading.
on 11 January 2012
I got the book for my Mum for Christmas. I have to say that I wouldn't have ordinarily got it because my Mum is a very experienced and knowledgeable gardener. It was only that the speciality was bees and butterflies (both loved by my Mum) that I was willing to give it a go. I honestly thought my Mum would look through it and know most of it. I have to say it was an amazing book and she absolutely loved it. It's probably one of the best presents I've found for her. I would highly recommend this book as a gift for even the most experienced gardener.
on 23 August 2010
Is there room on your book shelf for just one more book on gardening for the creatures we love? I hope so! Jan Miller is an exceedingly active volunteer with Butterfly Conservation in North Wales and a very knowledgeable horticulturalist. This book combines her interests & skills to give newcomers to gardening for butterflies etc an excellent manual. Pleasingly it does offer new ideas to old hands at butterfly gardening too, especially suggestions for moraine gardens and butterfly banks.

Moths are not forgotten either with numerous references made to plants & features to help them and their caterpillars..

It is lavishly illustrated & a joy to read.
on 2 November 2014
This is a useful book if, like me, you are looking for ways to make an existing garden more wildlife-friendly. It would also be helpful if you were planning a garden from scratch as there are suggested designs for butterfly-friendly beds. It's also useful if you just want to find out more about butterflies and the types of plants they are attracted to. This was the only book I could find in print that deals specifically with gardening for butterflies and it covers this topic well.

There are already quite a number of books available on gardening for bees, birds and wildlife in general. Although this book does have sections on bees (specifically bumble and solitary), ladybirds and other pollinators, I felt this information was less well-researched. One example is that the author states that bumblebees do not sting. In fact they are less likely to sting than honeybees and wasps and their stings are less painful, but many do have the capability to sting. Also (& this is obviously not the author's fault) harlequin ladybirds are much more common now than they were when the book was first published in 2010, so the ladybird info felt out of date with only a brief mention of harlequins - certainly in my suburban London garden I get far more harlequins now than native species. On balance the sections on other pollinators felt less authoritative and more of an afterthought and I think the book would have been just as good without this info.

The author's main area of knowledge and experience is clearly butterflies and moths and there is lots of information on identifying and gardening for the main UK butterflies, but also encouragement and advice on providing for the lesser-known species of butterflies and moths too. There is good information on plants and their flowering seasons and explanations of why butterflies (and to a lesser extent moths) prefer certain flowers. The plant information is divided into seasons and linked to butterflies which are in flight at that time of year (or their larvae feeding at that time). The details also include information on propagation which I really liked as it shows how creating a butterfly-friendly garden can be inexpensive if plants can be grown from cuttings or seeds. I also liked that the author is quite realistic about whether you are likely to attract certain species.

The book has very large pages - larger than a typical magazine page - and is quite heavy. I found it a bit difficult to handle and felt I would have preferred a smaller format. Although there are lots of lovely photos, a few don't really benefit from being blown up so large, and there is quite a lot of space on some pages, so I think it would work fine in a smaller format - I don't think I'm the only reviewer to comment on this, so perhaps it's something that could be considered for a second edition. Perhaps this would also help reduce the price which is quite high compared to similar gardening books.

At the end of the book is a section on designing beds and borders for butterflies and other pollinators including useful planting plans. There are also interesting sections on more 'specialist' garden features such as green roofs and ponds.

This is a lovely book to browse, despite the unwieldy page size, and also contains lots of useful information on butterfly gardening written by someone with knowledge, experience and passion for the subject. I have some reservations about the information on other pollinators, but overall I would recommend it.
on 12 March 2013
A beautifully illustrated guide which inspired me to create three mini meadows in my back garden. I inherited a garden full of rubble and mortar, the section on 'making a moraine' garden was especially useful - rock rose and scabious really thrive here, the garden 'hums' with the sound of bees and hoverflies throughout the summer. I also found the section on identifying blues and browns very helpful in working out what I've attracted to my garden!
on 11 April 2012
I read the other reviews (disregarding the 3 star one) before buying this book, but I have to say I was disappointed for a number of reasons: the main thrust of the book is really about attracting butterflies, not about atttracting butterflies AND bees(and I'm not just talking about honey bees), as the same size font in the title would have us believe; the book is very unwieldy - a smaller font and format would be better - as it stands it makes a very good 'coffee table' book; I found the photos blurred and of poor quality in many instances which I would not have expected from a book of this price.
on 23 January 2013
I bought this book as a present for a friend who loves gardening and is interested in attracting bees and other insects to the garden. It is a lovely book that you can dip into often. My friend was delighted with it.
on 10 March 2013
An easy read with lovely illustrations and a comprehensive source of information that can be easilly dipped into. Ideal for anyone looking to develop their patch (however large/small) into a pollinator friendly space. It covers bumblebees and other kinds of wild bees, butterflies, moths, hoverflies and other insects all essential to get your garden growing.