5.0 out of 5 stars The authority on all things 'whisky'
Jim's annual update is now a fixture on my shopping list. The continuing perception and humour of the author after tasing and re-tasting so much whisky, leaves me breathless!
Published 12 months ago by BigMac

3.0 out of 5 stars mushed be some mistake Ed
Published 9 months ago by Neil Carmichael

3.0 out of 5 stars mushed be some mistake Ed, 5 Feb 2014
This review is from: Jim Murray's Whisky Bible 2014 (Paperback)
An interesting collection of opinions, although rather heavy on esoterica that you and I will never see in a shop. I would have appreciated a bit more information about the distilleries and the main expressions that can actually be bought in shops. The opinions are his own, so no one can complain of an absence of modesty (in my humble opinion). However the book is either not edited, or was edited by someone after drinking a lot of whisky. The spelling and other mistakes are so glaring you get quite distracted. I suspect a lot of what has found its way into the notes was transcribed directly from the napkins it was written on.

2.0 out of 5 stars Humble he ain't...and get a proof-reader!, 13 Jan 2014
S. R. Taylor - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jim Murray's Whisky Bible 2014 (Paperback)
It's a handy little book to keep in the pocket for sure. However, I find Jim Murray hard to like: humble he is not. And. I don't. Personally. Like. His writing style. Clunky, bombastic, didactic and pretentious at times. I also think his scores are a bit of a waste of time, it seems almost all the whiskies get between 80 and 95 points. They can't ALL be that good surely? I think the lowest score he gives is still about 60.

I don't think he's funny either - not in the way that Ian Buxton is funny. He tries though, with several crass and tasteless 'jokes', most notably: 'Virgin bourbon 15 years old - the kind of bourbon you want to be left in a room with'. Seriously...?

There are also some woeful typos: 'Achilles heal' (!), 'Stan Laural...Marylyn Munro' (!), 'bursting at the seems' and even worse 'loan voice'. There are plenty more... Can he not afford a proof-reader?

So, Jim Murray 2014 is an ok pocket reference book but not something I would recommend. He may think he's a great whisky writer and guru, but in my book he's nowhere near as good as the real heavyweights such as Charles Maclean, Michael Jackson, Dave Broom and Ian Buxton. Imagine Michael Jackson writing as badly as this! I can't take him seriously, but it's ok, he obviously takes himself seriously enough: 'whisky legend and colossus' indeed (in his own words). Is he having a laugh?

3.0 out of 5 stars It is ok as long as you remember that he ..., 21 Nov 2014
This review is from: Jim Murray's Whisky Bible 2014 (Paperback)
It is ok as long as you remember that he is a bit pretentious and very opinionated. I don't let Murray influence my buying decisions but it is interesting to compare my thoughts with his. I frequently disagree with him and as taste is entirely subjective neither of us is right. The biggest problem is that a high proportion of the brews he reviews are difficult to find and/or very expensive so are irrelevant as a guide, having just a modest entertainment value

5.0 out of 5 stars The authority on all things 'whisky', 28 Nov 2013
This review is from: Jim Murray's Whisky Bible 2014 (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative, interesting, a whisky-lovers delight!, 14 July 2014
This review is from: Jim Murray's Whisky Bible 2014 (Paperback)
Bought this for my husband and he thoroughly enjoys delving in and reading about the various whiskies that he has been bought! Makes for very interesting reading .... all I need now is more space for the bottles!

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have!, 2 July 2014
Must have!

5.0 out of 5 stars Jim Murray, 26 Jun 2014
This review is from: Jim Murray's Whisky Bible 2014 (Paperback)
This is a good book for any whisky drinker, with many insights into the quality of a huge number of whiskies and some interesting (ie less than enthusastic) comments on some well known brands.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 25 Jun 2014
This review is from: Jim Murray's Whisky Bible 2014 (Paperback)
I love the size - fits easily into a pocket or some hand luggage. The choice of tasted bottles is quite impressive, which aids really well during the shopping process.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wealth of information for the Whisky enthusiast, 23 May 2014
This review is from: Jim Murray's Whisky Bible 2014 (Paperback)
Bought this as a gift for a friend and I'm sure he will be delighted with it, very professional and comprehensive compendium of whiskies.

4.0 out of 5 stars Whisky Bible, 12 Feb 2014
This review is from: Jim Murray's Whisky Bible 2014 (Paperback)
If its not in this book then I have not heard of it, I will never get to try all of these but it will be great fun trying!

Jim Murray's Whisky Bible 2014
Jim Murray's Whisky Bible 2014 by Jim Murray (Paperback - 7 Oct 2013)